I need help getting Military Medical Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help getting Military Medical Benefits

undefined I am currently trying to gather information for my formal medical board, I am currently active duty in the US Navy. My first request was denied because they deemed it as a prexisting condition. Which I don't understand. I have an oversized bladder and had some complications when I was born, other than that I led a pretty normal life. That was until I got pregnant with my second child. Which landed me in the hospital from July-Mar, with horrible pain and a foley because moving hurt. I was also on numerous pain medications. Since I left the hospital I have been on medical leave, trying to get my IC to tame down. It hasn't and now I have to go in front of a formal medical board on the 19th, to plead my case in hopes of getting some type of benefit, because I just can't work. I am currently seeing a new urologist who doesn't exactly know anything about IC. I have been seeing an internal medicine dr. and a neurologist. I have problems with keeping food down, keeping pills down and just doing every day activities. I am currently on a pain medication patch and an anti-nausea patch. I am only able to eat whole grain pasta and plain lettuce. I had been drinking cranberry juice until I found this site. I wish that I could just let the med board live a day in my life. Most days I can't even hold my children, that is probably the worst thing. Does anybody have any advice for overwhelming evidence to present to this board?
    Thanks in Advance - JO

Take
    1)The IC bladder photos from this site for a visual of the disease
    2)Printed literature from the internet on IC and it disabiling effects
    3)The social security disability ruling on IC
    4)Your medical records
    5)Your medications especially those for pain
    6)A list of your medical complaints (include any diseases or illnesses not related to IC which may make your life even more miserable)
    7)Consider starting a pain log
    8)A letter from a urologist, pain doctor or even your neurologist would be also be beneficial, letters from family and friends are also good to have.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Oh, I forgot...

9) Go to the pharmacy and get a fact sheet printed out for each of your medications that shows their use and the side effects associated with such.

Comment

It would seem that if you passed a navy physical, that should be proof that you were healthy at that time. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Sending warm healing thoughts,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Meb

Jo,
          When you go before the board, I would make sure the officers on the board are aware of the day to day impact IC has on you, that affects the percentage on discharge. Then you can go to the VA too and they rate you as well. Make sure you have a copy of your original physical from the MEPS station too. If you have any other questions, PM me or post here. I will try and help you. Welcome to our site too....

Hugs,
          Barb
          (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
          :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
          :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
          I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
          PCOS 7/85
          RSD 7/94 :headbang:
          Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
          Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
          Kidney stones--too many to count
          Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
          IC 6/03 :evilsmile
          Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
          "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
          "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who gave me great suggestions and support. I have to go before the board on the 19th. I wouldn't mind so much, but plane rides make me so sick and the nausea meds I am on now don't even control the sickness just being driven to the drs office. Does anyone have a suggestion to ease motion sickness and abdominal pain on plane rides?

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I was suppose to have my board on the 19th, but I was in the hospital so, now they are going to reschedule it for a later date, possibly March. I find it very frustrating because I have been deemed UNFIT, yet I still go to work every day (except for my frequent hospital visits). I am not allowed to do a lot of things at work because of the pain and also because I am on narcotics. It is very difficult to try to explain to people that I am not the same person as I was before and I can't do much about that. It is also very strange when people tell me that I look normal. I just wish I could leave the Navy so I could have a better chance at getting my IC under control. So, I am working on making a package to give to the board that explains my conditions, my restrictions, how my daily life is affected and what types of medications I have been on. I hope that they will allow me some benefits.

Comment

What was the result?

I'm currently going through a Medical Evaluation board for IC and Kidney stones. I have 9 years of military Service and I have been suffering from IC for several of those years. I just recently got the diagnoses after years of antibiotics and several doctors later. I have been medically evacuated from two of my past deployments and spent time in several third world country hospitals w/ stones and drug resistant "UTI's".

Any advice on what to expect at the formal board.

Thanks

Comment

Candy,
                  Please PM me and I would be glad to help. I wound up leaving the Army after my MEB.

Hugs and ,
                  Barb
                  (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
                  :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
                  :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
                  I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
                  PCOS 7/85
                  RSD 7/94 :headbang:
                  Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
                  Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
                  Kidney stones--too many to count
                  Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
                  IC 6/03 :evilsmile
                  Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
                  "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
                  "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Hi im a 22yr old female who was diagnosed with ic. I am currently serving active duty in the army. For 2 years i had abdominal pain that doctors could not correctly diagnose. I had frequent uti's and the pain was horrible. The pain has become more frequent, and more painful each day. At times i can not do my job correctly because of the pain. Running is out of the question, and so is ruck marching. I was refferd to a civilian doctor after i was put in the hospital for a bad uti. The civilian doctor diagnosed me with ic, and has perscribed me with elmiron and the side effects are terrible. Is there anyone that knows if i can be medically discharged or even discharged at all by the army? I have no clue where to start. Many times when i see my doctor and tell him how bad the pain is, they think im over exaggerating because i dont match the army "pain chart". Can someone please help me out with any advice or tips.

Comment

Medical Board

Hi Stephanie10,

I retired from the Air Force as a nurse practitioner. I'm sure you could meet a medical board and be discharged since you are certainly not world wide qualified with a diagnosis of IC. Go back to the army doctor, tell them you need to be put on a medical profile because you can't run ect. Get the notes from the civilian urologist and bring them to your appointment. They will need to send you to a military urologist for an eval and possible medical board. It could take months for this to happen. But the first step is to get a profile for no pe and to take you off mobility so you can't be deployed. I hope this helps you!

Suzanne

Comment

Suzanne,

Thank you so much for the advice. It is a start because I had no clue where to begin with something like this. I recently recieved a profile for 30 days. I have also been perscribed medication but because of the side effects of drowsiness and dizziness etc I cannot take them as perscribed altough my military doctor thinks otherwise. I know this is going to take time and patients but im in pain and the military side cannot seem to understand that, and without the meds im pretty much useless and I hate that feeling. So most of the paperwork should come from the civilian doctor correct? As for the mobility, does this also get recommended by the civilian doctor? Im sorry Im just a little lost as you can see. Thank you again for responding.
                        V/R
                        Stephanie

Comment

Meb

Stephanie,

A civilian MD can't put you on a profile or off of mobility. They made a diagnosis of IC. Take that documentation to your military MD. They are the only ones who can initiate a Medical Evaluation Board(MEB). There is typically a list of medical conditions that exclude you from mobility and I'm sure IC is one of them. In this day they want every one to be world wide qualified. They may send you TDY probably to see a military urologist to initiate the MEB. If you are not getting anywhere with your provider remember that everyone has a supervisor. Just be respectful and follow your chain of command. You may need to get your supervisor involved and that is ok. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. I know military medicine is hard to work around but hang in there.

Suzanne

Comment

Working...
                          X