Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ihurttoo
    replied
    I am also on SSD. I applied in Feb 2005, was turned down in August 2005. Then, I filed for reconsideration, and was turned down in October or November 2005. I then requested a hearing before the judge. I tried to get an atty after my first denial, but none would take it until I had been denied on the reconsideration. Around here at least, attys dont want your case until you are at the hearing level. Partially because they cant do much before then anyway, and I think the other reason is so they will collect more money. (But the latter part is only my opinion.)

All the attys I called worked on a contingency basis, where they only got paid if I won. The first atty I spoke to accepted my case. (Most will not accept a case unless they believe the person will win. After all, they dont want to go thru all the work, if they arent going to get paid!) Though there is no way to know for sure, until you get before the judge, they generally know if your case is strong enough to have a good chance or not, and most (around here, anyway), wont accept you unless they think you will win.

Initially, I was told that in Ky, it would take 1 1/2 to 18 mo to get before a judge. However, I got a call in Jan 2006 saying the judge moved up my case (due to personal circumstances that I cant write about here.) The letter said he would here my case in 20 days. So, I saw him in Feb 2006 and was approved that day. He dated it back 4 yrs, so I got a pretty substantial check for the back pay. (You only get paid for a maximum of 24 mo back from when you first file (if the judge back dates you that far.) They also do not pay you for the first 6 mo that the judge deems you disabled. The significance of back dating your disability beyond the 2 yrs is partially because of Medicare. (There is a 2 yr waiting period from the time they declare you disabled until you are eligiable for Medicare.) So, since the judge said I was disabled for the last 4 yrs (3 yrs and before I applied), my 6 mo waiting period for monthly pay was over, and my 2 yr wait for Medicare was over. I know it is confusing, but that is best way I know of explaining it!

I do think the Disability Guide in the ICN Shop is welll worth the money. It will help keep you from having to go to multiple sites to obtain the same info, and then there is alot of infor in there you wont find anywhere else at all! Several ICers atty's have said that they dont think they would have won without it. Several ICers who did not have attys have also said that they dont think they would have won without it.

If you havent done so already, you definately need to let your DRs know you are applying and find out if they will support you. Sometimes a Uro or PCP wont support filing, but a Gyn will. I didnt (and still dont) have a Uro, since my Gyn d/xed and treats my IC. So, my Gyn and and Rhem wrote letters for me. It is very important to get your Drs behind you! I dont know anyone personally who has won that did so without the support of at least one Dr. (I dont know if it is officially required or not, but it sure goes a long way!) It is particularlly important to get the support of the Drs treating conditons that you are filing on. For example, if you are filing for IC, your Uro or Gyn's opinion (whichever is treating your IC), will weigh heavily with SSD. IF you are filing on Fibro or Lupus, then your Rhematologist's backing would be very important. If you are filing due to Bi-polar Disorder or Depression or something, then obviously, a treating Psychiatrist's backing would weigh very heavily with SSD.

That's about all I can think of that has not already been covered. As Elle mentioned, there are several threads on this topic and others in this section. I would go back and read them all. There is so much information there! Even if one sentence helped you, it could contain information that is critical to you. I know I found several threads that I read that gave me alot of insight into things I needed to know, but didnt think of asking!!

I hope this helps!! I wish you the best of luck with your case. I hope things go quickly for you.

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyRN
    The law, as I was explained it, does not allow disability lawyers to collect a fee unless they win. Then they can only take a certain % of your back pay.
    Does anyone feel that their cases are drawn out to allow the lawyer to collect more of a fee, or feel more justified in doing so?

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    Originally posted by Elle
    For instance, one of the standard questions is "Can the applicant lift a gallon of milk?" Well, in my case, yes, I can lift a gallon of milk. But, what they don't ask is "What happens when you lift a gallon of milk".SSA doesn't ask an the Dr doesn't put that when I lift a gallon of milf I feel like I'm about to drop an organ!! By getting your own stuff and passing it own, you're assured that they're actually getting the most accurate info.
    I wish you well, and please let me know if I can do anything to help!
    I have that same thing happen. I think I'd say I couldn't lift a gallon of milk. Because I couldn't without dropping an organ.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    The law, as I was explained it, does not allow disability lawyers to collect a fee unless they win. Then they can only take a certain % of your back pay.

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Thank you to everyone

Hey Guys,

Thank you to everyone who has posted information about SS disability. Please let me know any more information if some others know some that have not posted. EVERY little bit helps. I do think just to safeguard my chances that I am going to contact a disability attorney and see if they charge a fee to talk to you or represent you OR if they work on a contingency basis. Do any of you know if disability attorneys generally work on contingency?

Thank you and God Bless!

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    If you go back and read through the SS Disability posts, I think you'll find lots of great info.
    I am on SSDI for IC. I also have several other things going on (like most of us) such as Fibro, etc.. But, I was approved for IC. It took close to 4 years from start to finish, and I was approved at a hearing without an attorney.

As for how long it takes, it really depends on the state you live in. Even though SS is a federal program, it is administered by each individual state. If you're approved with your initial application (which is possible, but very unlikely), you could start receiving checks in as soon as 6-8 months. But, if you're like most of us who ultimately go to a hearing, it will depend on how back-logged your state is.
    The best thing you could do for yourself is to go back and read the posts, buy the disability packet, get specific letters from your Drs saying that you can't do ANY job and why you can't work, and get your own medical records to give to SSA. They can get them for you, but if you get them, you will be able to go through and have the Dr correct any errors before they ever go to SSA. Also, that way you're sure of what they are actually getting. Another thing would be to ask your Dr in person to write the letter and give it to you. If they just fill out the paperwork that SSa gives them, a lot is not conveyed properly. For instance, one of the standard questions is "Can the applicant lift a gallon of milk?" Well, in my case, yes, I can lift a gallon of milk. But, what they don't ask is "What happens when you lift a gallon of milk".SSA doesn't ask an the Dr doesn't put that when I lift a gallon of milf I feel like I'm about to drop an organ!! By getting your own stuff and passing it own, you're assured that they're actually getting the most accurate info.
    I wish you well, and please let me know if I can do anything to help!

Leave a comment:

• ads
    replied
    April,

I have been on Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) for approx. four years. I was granted approval the first time. (One book says only some 30% are granted approval the first try.) I think onces chance for a quick approval are better if they understand how the SS system works. I think it is best to include all medical records and get them yourself. SSDI will ask for your doctors names, so they can request the records, but I think it extends your wait time and patients should have a copy of all their medical records anyway. You can make a form letter requesting your records and fax/send them to all your doctors. I went thru mine because some doctors are loco, and you can remove their notes and just turn in the test results.

Also, the SSDI forms don't give you enough room to answer the questions, so fire up the computer and use attachments. Federal congress people can be of help as well. After getting mine, I spoke to one of congressional employee and they said most people don't provide enough information on the forms. I spent a week preparing mine and it was a painful experience setting at the computer, making the copies, etc. Keep a copy of everything you turn into them, and give a copy to your doctors before they fill out their part, so everyone is on the same page. You need to remember what you told them because they sometimes call and ask again, and the reviews.

To obtain SSDI you have prove you are unable to work any job at all. Private disability insurance can be different where you can be approved just because you can't work the job you had before.

The ICN used to have a disability kit and it was a lifesaver! It contained two books and a flyer from SSDI's approval of IC as a condition. I attached that to my application because the person looking at your application might not be correctly trained and they have a lot of conditions rules to remember. I do see the book in the ICN shop, but can't find the kit. The book is Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability for $27.50. http://icnshop.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl It was worth every penny. Does anyone know where the kit is listed in the shop?

I wish you the best,
    ads

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    I am on SSDI. I first left my job on Short Term disability through my full time job...went on to long term for 24 months, then got approved shortly thereafter for SSDI and have been on it ever since.

I applied for SSDI during my LTD phase, and was initially turned down. About 6-7 months later I had a hearing at my request, got a lawyer, and won my case hands down.

I got a pretty big 5 figure back check from the time I had initially filed, and now I get a mere pittance of what I was actually earning as a nurse.

Elle seems to be our resident SSDI person. She's got some great posts on here regarding tips and how to get approved.

Leave a comment:

• MsB
    replied
    disability

aprilchen,
    first-off I wishu luck, I was granted my disability in April 06. My last day of full-time employment was March 04. I was initially denied in Dec. 04. I consulted an attorney, and filed an appeal. My case was reviewed by an appeal judge as was granted my disability following his looking at my file. My advice to you would be to start now, documenting, any and everything,etc voiding pattern,pain chart.list your daily activities, lack of sleep. Most people would'nt believe how much sleep we get, especially if you have to go to the bathroom every thirty min. Also talk to your physician, let him know what your plans are, he/she can be your best advocate. Review your own medical records, some drs notes are not detailed. If your physician does not believe in your inability to work, get another physician. Let your family, write letters about you and how your disease has affected everyone. Be aggressive, with your case, it is your life. You have more than enough problems with your health, plus Ic. I was granted my disability for my other health problems, not IC. Best wishes.

Blessed in Bama

Belinda

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    notihng worse then your pc having a bad day or crashing. sorry to hear that..

2. How long did it take? I applied in August and was approved and had my check a week b4 christmas

3. Are there any pointers you could offer as far as what documentation is best to include? for every disease you have, send a copy of it off a web sight of how it makes you feel. tell your doctors you are appling and you need to know if they will fill out the paper work ssd sends in your favor. always make copies of everything for your own personal records.
    If I think of anything else I'll post it for you

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Hey Angel,

My computer crapped out on me today or I would have answered you faster. We're waiting on a new hard drive for a BRAND NEW computer. However, I found where I got the packet ordered from (I don't have it yet). The link is: http://www.ichelp.org/Disability/SSDI.html.

Look at the bottom of the page and the one I ordered is the personalized one. Anyway, today has been a not so good day. I have been having a lot of urinary retention today...and went for almost eight hours without urinating until my husband helped me out.

Good Luck with the packet.

April
    Originally posted by Greekladyiam
    Hi April,
    I am in the same process right now so although I cannot offer any advice, just want to show some support for your struggle. I am trying to locate the ICN packet for disability so where on the site did you find it? Again, I hope some will respond to you so you can get answers to your questions. Take Care.

Leave a comment:

• Georgia L
    replied
    I would be very interested in learning more about getting disability due to illnesses including IC. I also have fibromyalgia and have heard that some get disabilities with that as well.

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    The ICN disability packet can be purchased in the ICN Shop (link at the top of the page). It's inexpensive, and there are other books on disability in the same section in the shop that you can buy if you would like.

I'm not on disability, and while half the time I'd love to do it, I just can't yet... I keep myself working somehow... who knows how some days...

I wish you ladies luck in your quest for disability. I know there are quite a few here who are getting it. Hopefully they will post soon!

Leave a comment:

• Greekladyiam
    replied
    Hi April,
    I am in the same process right now so although I cannot offer any advice, just want to show some support for your struggle. I am trying to locate the ICN packet for disability so where on the site did you find it? Again, I hope some will respond to you so you can get answers to your questions. Take Care.

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    started a topic How Many are actually on disability?

How Many are actually on disability?

Hi,

I am a 26-year old IC patient who just was diagnosed January 18th of this year. However, I have been chronically ill with chronic pain, blood clots, GERD, Migraines, etc for four years. I am now starting the process to apply for Social Security Disability. I have been unable to work full-time or even part-time on a consistent basis for four years now and was fired from two jobs because of illness and hospitalizations.

1. How many of you actually were granted disability?

2. How long did it take?

3. Are there any pointers you could offer as far as what documentation is best to include?

Someone, Kara, I think told me about an Interstitial Cystitis Association Disability Packet that I ordered.

Any more thoughts?

Thank you very much!
Working...
X