Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unemployeed when dx w/IC can I still get SSDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they pick which years to do the calculations on and can include years I earned 0! That's a crock!

If you can get up 3years why did they only count 1 for you? Is that because you only needed one to meet the credit guidelines?

If I do in fact meet the credits without using the child drop off years. Should I still try to apply the child drop off years clause. What is you opinion on that? Which way will benefit me the best.

The only reason I think I do in fact make the credit is the last year I worked I did word for 3 mos and with my salary I was able to earn all for 4 credit for that year.

I need to explain to dh what you said about the SS being insurance I paid in case this sort of thing happened. He feels like we would be sticking our hands in the cookie jar by applying. And by no means are we living the high life. He's just wants to feel like the man providing for his family in a time of need.

I am so grateful for your help!
    ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
    Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief
    tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
    diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
    elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
    darvacet
    loratab
    percocet
    tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
    Migraines since childhood
    Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

Comment

bump, for those needing info on the child drop out years. There is a lot of info here about not having the right amount of credits which elle explains very well. Then AMy gives great info on the types of SSD which if you don't have enough credits and are a low income family might be able to get SS help that way too. GOOD LUCK
      ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
      Zoloft 100mg
      Prelief
      tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
      diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
      elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
      darvacet
      loratab
      percocet
      tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
      IBS '93
      depression '94
      stomach ulcers '95
      Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
      Migraines since childhood
      Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

Comment

Elle, question

Elle,
        I was reading this older thread and was wondering if there is a minimum that the children would get as dependents? I cannot find my letter from the Govt. that states how much money my kids would get per month, if I win my case. I remember mine being in the $700 range and, was thinking my kids were a little over $100 each. Would that sound about right to you? I am planning on taking half of the kids' amount and putting it away for college for them. (if I win of course) I know I will have to get a new statement from the govrnment but, would like to have an idea if you think my estimates could be correct? Thanks

DanaW.
        DanaW

"Don't quit when the tide is lowest, For it's just about to turn; Don't quit over doubts and questions, For there's something you may learn."

Comment

That sounds about right. Of course, you'd have to have your statement for the exact amounts, but I believe the kids typically get a total of about half of what you get (divided between each child). You can call SSA and find out exactly what was on your letter if you want a more exact figure. Good Luck on winning & don't give up!
          Elle

Comment

Laura,

My husband was the same way as yours, at first. He also felt like it was welfare until I explained it to him that applying for it was no different than filing for Disability Insurance thru a private policy. The only difference was that with this one, we had paid into the govt, instead of a private company. Once he realized that, (and that the regular Disabilty program is different than the income/needs based one), then, he came around. I am sure yours will too.

Also, I wanted to mention that regarding the child drop out years, I was also off for 4 yrs before I applied. With me, I had a bad pregnancy (toxemia), and after I had Collin, I thought I'd start feeling back to normal. But, I kept getting worse for a few months. And after that, though I didnt get worse any more, I didnt get better either. So, at first, I thought I was hurting all over b/c I had gained so much weight and hadnt lost alot of it yet. Then, after that, I thought it was b/c I had hurt myself from carrying Collin and all his equipment and was so tired from losing all that sleep. Then, after my d/x, I thought I'd feel better once I started the meds, diet, DMSO, etc. When that didnt work, I was always trying new meds, therapies, etc, and I always thought that each thing was going to FINALLY be the one that worked, and well, of course they didnt, but it took me 4 yrs to figure out that I wasnt ever going to be better or able to go back to work.

I made $0 during those years and my last year working, I was pregnant and on bed rest from the about the 5th month to the end, and of course misssed alot of work before that, so that year I made considerably less. They did skip that year and didnt count it against me. For some people, they date it back to when the symptoms began, but there is alot of variation in this from state to state and from judge to judge. In my case, they just took it to the date of d/x. But, I was so happy to be approved, I was still happy.

These are the dates that mine occured, (in case this makes more sense.) I had Collin on May 8, 2001. I had been off from work and sick during pregnancy from Dec. 2000 on and never was able to go back. But, though my symptoms started during pregnancy, I wasnt officially d/xed until October 2002. (With pregnancy, things are so murky that they are never sure if something is wrong with you is b/c your pregnant or because you are sick.) And since I had toxemia too, I grew worse instead of better when he was born. (Usually women get better, but my blood pressure shot way up to stroke levels!) Then, Lupus reared it's head and attacked the same kidney that the toxemia had damaged. So, when IC came along, they attributed it to Lupus for a while. So the waters were pretty murky!

Anyway, I filed for Disability in Jan of 2005 and was approved by a judge in Feb 2006. (If you want to know why I was seen by the judge so quicky, I can tell you in a PM, but I cant post it.) When they approved me, they dated it back to Oct of 2002, (which was when I was d/xed). There was one year that I tried to work, (I tried to get a job, even though I was sick, but only made it 3 hours before they told me it wasnt going to work with me going to the bathroom that often.) So, they didnt factor that year in my income either.

I hope my experiance helps you make some sense of what they might do with you. (I hope I didnt confuse you more! )

I really hope that you, Dana, and all the others that are currently trying to get Disability will be approved quickly! I wish you all the best of luck. I know it is hard to get, but hang in there! It is not easy to make the decision to file, and not one that anyone comes to easily. But, when you cant work anymore, you know it and you deserve the money just like everyone else does who is disabled to the point that they can no longer work!

Sending you big hugs,
            Amy

Comment

Working...
            X