Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unemployeed when dx w/IC can I still get SSDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Laura,

My husband was the same way as yours, at first. He also felt like it was welfare until I explained it to him that applying for it was no different than filing for Disability Insurance thru a private policy. The only difference was that with this one, we had paid into the govt, instead of a private company. Once he realized that, (and that the regular Disabilty program is different than the income/needs based one), then, he came around. I am sure yours will too.

Also, I wanted to mention that regarding the child drop out years, I was also off for 4 yrs before I applied. With me, I had a bad pregnancy (toxemia), and after I had Collin, I thought I'd start feeling back to normal. But, I kept getting worse for a few months. And after that, though I didnt get worse any more, I didnt get better either. So, at first, I thought I was hurting all over b/c I had gained so much weight and hadnt lost alot of it yet. Then, after that, I thought it was b/c I had hurt myself from carrying Collin and all his equipment and was so tired from losing all that sleep. Then, after my d/x, I thought I'd feel better once I started the meds, diet, DMSO, etc. When that didnt work, I was always trying new meds, therapies, etc, and I always thought that each thing was going to FINALLY be the one that worked, and well, of course they didnt, but it took me 4 yrs to figure out that I wasnt ever going to be better or able to go back to work.

I made $0 during those years and my last year working, I was pregnant and on bed rest from the about the 5th month to the end, and of course misssed alot of work before that, so that year I made considerably less. They did skip that year and didnt count it against me. For some people, they date it back to when the symptoms began, but there is alot of variation in this from state to state and from judge to judge. In my case, they just took it to the date of d/x. But, I was so happy to be approved, I was still happy.

These are the dates that mine occured, (in case this makes more sense.) I had Collin on May 8, 2001. I had been off from work and sick during pregnancy from Dec. 2000 on and never was able to go back. But, though my symptoms started during pregnancy, I wasnt officially d/xed until October 2002. (With pregnancy, things are so murky that they are never sure if something is wrong with you is b/c your pregnant or because you are sick.) And since I had toxemia too, I grew worse instead of better when he was born. (Usually women get better, but my blood pressure shot way up to stroke levels!) Then, Lupus reared it's head and attacked the same kidney that the toxemia had damaged. So, when IC came along, they attributed it to Lupus for a while. So the waters were pretty murky!

Anyway, I filed for Disability in Jan of 2005 and was approved by a judge in Feb 2006. (If you want to know why I was seen by the judge so quicky, I can tell you in a PM, but I cant post it.) When they approved me, they dated it back to Oct of 2002, (which was when I was d/xed). There was one year that I tried to work, (I tried to get a job, even though I was sick, but only made it 3 hours before they told me it wasnt going to work with me going to the bathroom that often.) So, they didnt factor that year in my income either.

I hope my experiance helps you make some sense of what they might do with you. (I hope I didnt confuse you more! )

I really hope that you, Dana, and all the others that are currently trying to get Disability will be approved quickly! I wish you all the best of luck. I know it is hard to get, but hang in there! It is not easy to make the decision to file, and not one that anyone comes to easily. But, when you cant work anymore, you know it and you deserve the money just like everyone else does who is disabled to the point that they can no longer work!

Sending you big hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    That sounds about right. Of course, you'd have to have your statement for the exact amounts, but I believe the kids typically get a total of about half of what you get (divided between each child). You can call SSA and find out exactly what was on your letter if you want a more exact figure. Good Luck on winning & don't give up!

Leave a comment:

• DanaW
    replied
    Elle, question

Elle,
    I was reading this older thread and was wondering if there is a minimum that the children would get as dependents? I cannot find my letter from the Govt. that states how much money my kids would get per month, if I win my case. I remember mine being in the $700 range and, was thinking my kids were a little over $100 each. Would that sound about right to you? I am planning on taking half of the kids' amount and putting it away for college for them. (if I win of course) I know I will have to get a new statement from the govrnment but, would like to have an idea if you think my estimates could be correct? Thanks

DanaW.

Leave a comment:

• mlch
    replied
    bump, for those needing info on the child drop out years. There is a lot of info here about not having the right amount of credits which elle explains very well. Then AMy gives great info on the types of SSD which if you don't have enough credits and are a low income family might be able to get SS help that way too. GOOD LUCK

Leave a comment:

• mlch
    replied
    So they pick which years to do the calculations on and can include years I earned 0! That's a crock!

If you can get up 3years why did they only count 1 for you? Is that because you only needed one to meet the credit guidelines?

If I do in fact meet the credits without using the child drop off years. Should I still try to apply the child drop off years clause. What is you opinion on that? Which way will benefit me the best.

The only reason I think I do in fact make the credit is the last year I worked I did word for 3 mos and with my salary I was able to earn all for 4 credit for that year.

I need to explain to dh what you said about the SS being insurance I paid in case this sort of thing happened. He feels like we would be sticking our hands in the cookie jar by applying. And by no means are we living the high life. He's just wants to feel like the man providing for his family in a time of need.

I am so grateful for your help!

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    They only allow up to 3 years and the calculations on which 3 years are even crazier! I was exactly like you in that I had been out of work for 5 years when I applied and left my job to stay home w/ the kids before IC started. I only ended up getting to count one of my dropout years b/c of the years they chose to use in their calculations. When you don't work, they do add $0 into the calculations for that year, which really just stinks! I had an old SS statement of benefits that I received the last year I had worked. When my actual benefits were calculated, they ended up being close to half b/c of the time I had taken off with my kids. It seems like that wouldn't be the case, since you're trying to do the "right thing" by putting a career on hold for your kids.
    About the money for the kids - It doesn't matter how much money your husband makes. The kids are actually paid on your SS record. He should not feel like his manhood has been bruised, since it is actual insurance that you have paid in to in case something like this happened. It's in no way welfare. It is essentially an insurance policy that you've paid into in case something like this happens. You could set up a savings account or a 529 Plan for college and have the money direct deposited in each of their accounts, if he really feels that strongly about it. Or, you could even choose not to apply for their benefits - only yours.
    I don't claim to know everything there is to know about the whole process. But, I learned a great deal by representing myself in my own SS case. I remember how I felt before applying, and would really just like to share what I've learned

Leave a comment:

• mlch
    replied
    elle,
    You're so smart about all this!
    When they figure my monthly benefit the the years I was off work with my kids will count in as 0 income? I just assumed they took the used the last five years I worked and did average on that with their funky calculations. The most I'm allowed for child drop off years is 3? I am understanding that correctly? I was off 5 yrs. So does that mean that 2 of my years will be calculated in the benefit amount as 0? So confusing to say the least.

You mentioned my kids get benefits off me? Is that true when their father is working and making decent money? I thought I'd only receive benefits for the kids if I was a single mom, which I am not. I said something to dh about it. Silly as it is, it seems his manly pride would be wounded if my disability made a little income for the kids.
    ~Laura

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    mlch-
    The person who decides how far back it goes is the one who decides your case, either a judge if you have to wait for a hearing, or a person at your state office if you're approved before then. The judge in my case actually went back to the actual day my symptoms began (I went to the ER, so it was easy to document). I wasn't dx until almost 2 years after my first signs of IC. So, it's really up to the person reviewing your case.
    As for the child dropout years, you certainly want to mention that now. It could end up making a HUGE difference in your case. It not only allows you more time to be eligible for benefits, it can also impact the amount of $$ you receive each month. Every year that you don't have income, your monthly benefits decrease. By having the child years in the computation, they essentially give you some time off with your kids without being penelized.
    Try calling the 1-800# that's listed on the ssa.gov site. It's not your local office, but they can take your application and set up a phone interview with you local office where they call you at a certain time. You will probably have to wait on hold for a while, but it's hardly ever busy.
    As far as being worth it, if you can't work due to IC, any amount of money is better than none. If approved, you will also receive benefits for your kids until they're 18 years old. I know you stated that your household income was too high for SSI, as was mine. Even though the SS benefits aren't nearly as much as working a full time job, it does give my family some added security that I didn't have before. And, it helps to pay for my medical care. Remeber also, that you're eligible for Medicare after 2 years. I didn't sign up for it b/c I have great insurance, but it's nice to know that I had the option.
    Now, about not going to college...it probably will be to your benefit since it greatly limits the number of jobs that the VR person will qualify you for. I have a couple of college degrees and it did hurt me in terms of the initial application, b/c the first VR person who reviewed my case had a whole list of management-type and consulting things I could still do (according to them). But my take on it, as was the judge's opinion in my case, is that it doesn't matter how educated you are, if you hurt, your hurt and if you're going to the bathroom all of the time, having a couple of diplomas on the wall really don't help a whole lot.
    I know it's a hard decision to make, but if you can't work, it would be best to apply now before the time comes that you regret not applying and you're no longer eligible.

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    The credits that you've earned do last a lifetime, however we are required to have more credits as we age to qualify. That's why people who've been out of work for many years often do not qualify any longer. The general rule of thumb is that you must have worked 5 of the last 10 years to be eligible, of course that varries by age. The only way to truly know if you still qualify is to contact SSA.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I think your work credits are lifetime, it doesn't matter how long ago you earned them. You should apply as soon as you can because it can take up to three years to be approved.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Unfortunately, I dont think they would really work for that. They kind of numb up the top layer of the skin and just barely under it. I cut them up in strips and apply them to my tender points for the fibro/MPS. It seems to help my fibro more than anything else. I have tried them over my bladder, but they dont seem to go deep enough to help with that. But, for me, they really help alot with the fibro/MPS.

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    Amy - I see that you use liodicaine patches as needed. Do you mind me asking where you put them and what they do? Not to be too explicit, but I'm trying to figure out something to make sex an enjoyable experience again and was wondering if something like that would help.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Elle
    Given how crappy our bladders fell most of the time, not to mention trying to get through it while trying to take care of everyone else too, I thing we're doing pretty good to even post on this board!!
    Very True!!!

Leave a comment:

• Elle
    replied
    Given how crappy our bladders feel most of the time, not to mention trying to get through it while trying to take care of everyone else too, I thing we're doing pretty good to even post on this board!!
    Last edited by Elle; 02-24-2007, 04:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Elle
    BTW - You were right that SSDI is the one you should apply for. I think Amy just got confussed for a moment, b/c she really gives great advice about applying for disability. SSDI stands for Social Security Disability Insurance - which is the one you apply for when you have enough work credits. SSI Disability - Supplemental Security Income- is the welfare-type disability that looks at the amount of $$ in your household.

Here's a link for more info on all of it:

http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm
    Thanks Elle! You are right, that IS what I meant! Thanks for explaining it better for me! (I am blaming the pain, since I was hurting pretty bad when I wrote that.) Thanks for clarifying things. Hugs, Amy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X