Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Application in person or on phone? which is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application in person or on phone? which is best?

Hi,
    I finally called my local ssa today and set up an appointment for my application. I set it up for as a phone appt. I am now wondering if
    that was the best way to do it. I imagine there are pros and cons for
    both but would like some input. I was also told that I didn't need anything
    as they would get all the needed paperwork ie doctors records ect for me.
    I thought though that with IC, I should include documentation as to the
    disease itself and my own daily records of how my disease disables me.
    Advice greatly appreciated.

Also how hard is it to prove an onset date that is prior to the actual diagnois date? Onset being the time that I was disabled. My diagnois date is March of 06. My onset was at sometime in 05 the Drs just couldn't determine my problem until March of the following year. Which as I have read is pretty lucky to get correctly diagnosised that quickly My benefits and credits needed to be eligible end Dec of '05. If they will only go by diagnosis date then I just miss the eligiblity.

I did ask about the child drop off years and was told that was a possiblity to look into with my being off work for the last 5.5 years for my young kiddos.

Wish my luck and give my any advice please.
    ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
    Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief
    tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
    diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
    elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
    darvacet
    loratab
    percocet
    tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
    Migraines since childhood
    Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

I did mine by phone, I really don't think it matters. At least at home if you forget something you can look for it real quick.

Comment

I agree with Leslie, I dont think it matters how you first apply. I did mine over the computer. Just dont give up, sometimes (most times) people are turned down the first go around. So dont give up
      God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
      www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
      Interstim Sept 2001
      1st InterStim Removal May 2005
      2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
      2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
      Hysterectomy 1999
      Tubes Tied 1997
      C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

I started my application online. Then I didn't complete it, so I got a letter that said that I needed to get an appointment at the SS office to complete it. I wish that I had finished it online. The woman that did the interview made some choices as to what to input that I would not have made. For example, due to IC, I have been substitute teaching for at least the past 7 years because I could just work when I felt well enough to do that. She refused to even list that employment on my application. Instead, she listed my previous years of employment as an outside service rep. for an insurance company to compare my ability to perform my work that I had done in the past. She refused to submit any of the medical records that I brought with me. She said that my diagnosis 10 years ago was probably detrimental to my claim because most case workers would think "If you have worked with this disease for the past 10 years, why not just keep working?" I was sooooooo frustrated by the interview. She was in a wheel chair. And maybe it is my imagination, but she kept saying, so when exactly did this alleged disability come about? And she kept asking me how exactly I felt disabled by the disease? I finally said that I needed to use the restroom in the middle of the interview. When I returned, I said to her. See? I just used the restroom. I know that my bladder just got emptied. You know that too. But the thing is that my body is telling me that I still need to get up and use the restroom again. And I feel a burning sensation that just intensified after I urinated. That is why I am sitting in this slumped position. She just kept typing and ignored the comments. I really felt humiliated by the process. So I wish that I had completed the process online. One good thing about using the online system is that you can do it in stages. You can log out and then go back in later with your password. Best of luck! This is just my experience. Perhaps others have had more positive interviews. Mare

Comment

Originally posted by Mare
          but she kept saying, so when exactly did this alleged disability come about? And she kept asking me how exactly I felt disabled by the disease? Mare
          Gr! I would of hit the ceiling if the word "alleged" was used! How did you handle it.
          You make a very convincing arguement for doing it online. Before I wrote this initial post I didn't realize that option was available. After hearing hearing your sitiuation I really feel like doing it online is the way to go. I already have phone appointment set for April 3rd. Can I change that at this time and will that hurt me. Should I cancel the phone first and then do it online or the other way around? Thoughts?
          ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
          Zoloft 100mg
          Prelief
          tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
          diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
          elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
          darvacet
          loratab
          percocet
          tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
          IBS '93
          depression '94
          stomach ulcers '95
          Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
          Migraines since childhood
          Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

Comment

I wish that I had an answer about which is the best way to do it. I think that it can go lots of different ways depending on who you get for the interview. The whole system is based on judgment calls made by individuals that work for SS. The Dr. who did my physical exam for SS said that he has no idea of how a claim is denied or approved. He just does the standard exam and sends in his results. By the way, I find it pretty amazing that during the exam to see if I was disabled by an urinary tract disease that a urine specimen was never required. At least if they had seen my urine, they could have seen the blood in it. Oh well, I guess that we just have to play by the SS rules and hope for the best! Best of luck to all who are trying to find their way through it! Mare

Comment

That is a great question! I did mine by phone, but I didnt have a computer when I applied. I dont know if it matters or not, but I didnt want to do it in person simply b/c I dont look sick from the IC or Fibro. When I am in a Lupus flare, I definately look sick, but I dont from the others, and I filed on all three. I dont know if there is a place on the forms for the person from SSD to write comments or not, but I guess I was worried that they'd write on there that I drove myself there, and only went to the bathroom once, and didnt look sick. (Frequency and urgency arent my primary symptoms. Constant pain is my main symptom of IC.) But, sitting very long, driving, and riding in a car all cause me pain, yet occaisonally I do have to drive, in spite of the pain it causes. So, I was afraid she'd write, "Applicant states driving is painful, yet she drove herself here." You know how people can twist things around.

There were a few problems with doing it on the phone too. For one thing, it took about an hour to an hour and a half. There were dates and things I couldnt remember, and if I was filing things out myself online, I could just log off, go find it and come back. Also, if I was filing it out myself, I could keep a record of it, and I could also be certain that everything was written exactly as I said it. But with someone else doing it, you are never sure!

If I had a computer then, I think I definately would have filed online for all those reasons. (However, I may overanalyze things! It wouldnt be the first time! ) I guess I just like to be certain of everything that I can be. I also think it is best to control as much of the process as you possibly can. After all, there will be alot to come that you will have no control over. But, at least this is something you can do!

Which ever way you decide to file, I am sure you will do fine. Just remember to keep copies of everything, since they will be asking you alot of the same questions over and over. That way you will have all the dates, phone numbers etc. handy.

Good luck! I hope you are approved swiftly!

Hugs,
              Amy

Comment

I filed by phone. I started doing it online, but b/c I had dial-up at the time, it took forever! They did ywist a few things that I said around, but I made sure to correct it when the printed out version was mailed to me for my signature. The only times I ever went in were to drop things off in the drop box. As good of a relationship as I had with my case worker, I never even met her face to face. Like Amy, I typically don't "look sick". I just didn't want that to hurt my chances.

As far as onset...of course, SSA will determine that, but the judge in my case set the date of onset as the exact day my symptoms began (they came on strong and hard and didn't settle down at all). I was actually dx-ed after the last date I was eligible for SSDI, but my symptoms began quite a while before I was dx-ed. Just be sure to stress that the date of onset was the date that your symptoms became so bad that you couldn't work.
                One other piece of advice...you may want to get all of your medical records and take them to the office. Yes, they will get them, but if you get them, you will know exactly what they're reviewing. Also, I'd ask your doctors face to face to write letters for you stating that you are completely unable to do any job b/c of extreme pain, frequency, etc. Have them give you the letters, and you submit them.
                Elle

Comment

Working...
                X