X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaryFitz
    • Mar 2000

I've Reached the Point to Apply for SSD Benefits

Hi all,

I'm now in the position of not being able to work anymore. I've been working for almost 4 years since my symptoms and diagnosis. Missed a whole lot of days though. I have a desk job; can't get much simpler. For the 1st time I'm seriously considering applying for SSD and disablity retirement from the fed'l government (I'm a federal employee).

I know this will be a long and stressful road that will more than likely exacerbate my symptoms and pain but I've reached my breaking point. I have not ben to work since early January. Amazingly, they have not yet fired me or asked me to go out on unpaid FMLA (12 weeks), yet.

I've done research on their web site, SSA.gov, and have called the 800 # to ask basic questions. It's hard to read some of the stuff as I'm in a lot of pain and my symptoms are totally out of control.

I'm curious to know if you have to be fired or terminated medically in order to be eligible just to apply. Is it remotely possible that I have a chance in @$%! of eventualy being approved?

Thank you,
    Mary
  • Teri
    • Mar 2000

When I wasn't able to work any longer I just quit. On the day I called SS I wasn't even going to apply. I just called to ask some questions. It was the girl I talked to that told me that it sometimes takes a very long time to get approved so I might as well apply then because I could stop the application any time I wanted....I'm glad I did it. I got very very lucky with my dealings with the SS department. All of my case workers were women and they were all fantastic and more than helpful. The ONLY one that made me feel like dirt was the one who I signed the final papers infront of and I was so dang sick that day that all's I could do was sit and stare at her in total disbelief.
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

• MaryFitz
      • Mar 2000

Hi,

I'm getting my paperwork together for my appt with SS on 3/12/03. List of Doc's, cert. medical records, etc. Is there anyone out there that has been approved (either after denial or initially) that would have done things differently? For example submitting too much doumentation or not enough.

I'm applying soley on the diability of IC. I've worked since I've been diagnosed in 1999, but I been out for the last 4+ weeks and will be unable to return. I printed out SSR 02-2p; Evaluation of Interstitial Cystitis (linked from ICA website). It explains, in lay terms, what IC is and what symptoms & treatments are associated with it. It does not state that it's on the list of impairments. I think it was created to serve as a guide to SS staff in determining if one is severely impaired & unable to work in any capacity due to IC.

Thanks,
      Mary

Comment

• Mergatroid
        • Jul 2002

Hi Mary,
        Where can I get that SSR 02-2P form also? Do you have the web address to the site? Thank you hi
        Christina

Comment

• MaryFitz
          • Mar 2000

Copy the above link into your address box.

Also, go to SSA.gov, click search and type in Interstitial Cystitis. Also, go to IChelp.com and click on the Diability link.

Comment

• Mergatroid
            • Jul 2002

Thank you Mary
            Christina

Comment

• Vicki Brown
              • Mar 2003

My Dr. says he hasn't placed any restrictions on me. Last week I saw for my 4 week visit after cysto and hydo. I told him I wanted my life back and wasn't working out, working, dancing etc. he said he wasn't placing any restrictions, is that weird? How could anyone in this much pain do anything like that? I'm lucky to shower and get to the couch, except for dr. appts. I'm not able to get out. Please tell me, anyone whose applied for SS benefits, what does your dr. say and what should I do? Will I be able to get benefits? This stinks. cussing banghead

Comment

• Teri
                • Mar 2000

Julie, it's time to dump the dr. He might know what IC is. He doesn't have a clue what IC does. It's hard to change dr's. Most of us have been thru many. You need to find one with the knowledge and the courage to treat you, not some jerk who doesn't have a clue what's been taken from you because of this disease.

As long as you have a dr who is not working for you, chances are pretty slim that you would win SS frown
                teri
                Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

• Vicki Brown
                  • Mar 2003

This info is so helpful. I've been sick and unable to work since Jan 03 and diagnosed Feb 03. I haven't dumped dr. yet, although this weekend there is IC support group meeting and I'll get info on the best dr so I can change. How long do you have to be disabled before you apply? I'm single and starving! Still have lots pain and have tried to get out for an hr. or two only to get worse. My female IC physical therapist says it bc the bladder spasms are so bad and bladder really inflamed and I should only go 30 min. to an hr. and then stop. I still want my life back. I'm tired of pain, drugs and tv.
                  Talk to me! banghead

Comment

• Teri
                    • Mar 2000

Julie~call your local SS office and ask the questions. When I called with "how long do I have to apply" I was only asking a question, I didn't want to miss the boat The woman I talked to was great and she told me that it takes so long for it to got thru I should apply right then and there. She did an interview with me on the phone and then the paper work started....so don't wait. Call blink
                    teri

Comment

Working...