Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need IC Articles for SS Disability Application

Hi all,

Once again, I'm reaching out for your help. I need a few articles (medical journals, etc) that descrive IC and the pain that comes along with it. I need something that talks about difficulty/inability to work. I checked out some that are posted on this site, but if anyone has suggestions or links I'd really appreciate it.

Especially to those of you that have gone through the SSD application process; if you used any articles in particular.

Thanks,
    Mary

Mary~I didn't use personal stories when I got approved for mine. I printed ALL the info I could find on IC that told how it could destroy a life. I also sent a letter to all of my dr's explaining that I was applying and why. I had to fax the letters because I knew I'd back out if I didn't. At that time, I still had quite a hard time confronting dr's. When I knew that the SS papers were on the way to the dr's I made appts with all of them so I could go over my letters.

BEST OF LUCK
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

I just spoke with my uro, who has always been the kindest and most compassionate doctor I've known. I told him I was applying for SSD and I would need a letter from him to present at my appointment date (in addition to all the paperwork SS sends them). He told me what I already knew; it is extremely difficult for IC patients to get approved. It was his honest opinion but I still don't like hearing the obvious. He said he;d do what he could.

I've found a few articles that explain IC in the most simplistic terms possible and I have the new ruling but now I'm more scared than ever that I'll be denied even after appeal, etc.

Mary

Comment

hi Mary, I know I could call and tell you....but I figured I could share this here...

I talked to my Mom today and mentioned this whole SSD thing in passing. SHe did mention getting a lawyer might help. She said she knows someone altho they are in Lawrence, but if you want his name she'll find the number.

She mentioned that lawyers (that she's noticed) are more successful in getting SSD for their clients. Especially when someone is run down with pain--it can be a great help to have soemone advocating for you.

She also mentioned....don't give up! The system prolly makes it very hard to get ssd cos they want to weed out the people.

Good luck! I know a lawyer may not be for you...I thought the advice might be helpful....I didn'tknow lawyers were available for that kind of service.

y.
        Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

RE: IC articles.
          What about the whole family of pamphlets put outby the ICA? My uro's office carries the whole collection maybe sending in a few of those.(???)
          Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Thanks Yvette. If I'm denied after the first go around then I plan on getting an atty for the appeal. I might even speak to one now just to get some initial advice.

I'm giving my printer a work out today. I've got a few journal articles that are pretty good and I will call the ICA and ask that they send me some pamphlets. They sometimes charge for these so I'll see what I can get.

Thank you,
            Mary

Comment

hi there! If I can get out of here early enough I can try and pick up some pamphlets.

y.

Comment

Thanks Yvette. angel

Comment

Hi Maryfitz! I went through the SSDI process about 3 years ago (before the new ruling) and I did get it, after the second time (they initially turned me down; they usually do). I found that the info from the ICA (the other "big" IC website) was extremely helpful; I'd recomend calling them and getting their "disability packet". Also if you want to chat about the whole process with people who went through it maybe you can make it (if you are feeling well enough!) to the metrowest Boston area meeting this Sat? (See the announcement in the Northeast section below) Maybe I'll see you there! beth_s

Comment

Beth,

Hi. Thanks for the info. I called the ICA the other day and ordered some packets related to disability. It wasn't easy; it seems there is another IC'er out there with the same name and they kept insisting they already sent me some info...weird. In any event, it's on it's way. I've got most of my application completed and all attachments put together. I think I'm in good shape. I

I was able to get access to full text articles going through the library online via my old college's website. Very helpful. I have a lot of good articles now.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the meeting. I wish I could put faces to all of the helpful I've met here. I haven't made it anywhere in quite some time.

Thanks again,
                    Mary

Comment

Working...
                    X