More needs to be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More needs to be done

Hi, fellow IC friends. I think more needs to be done to make it possible for us to get SSA disa- bility. Some of us are just not able to work. I have been working, but now I am on medical leave. If I don't get better so I can go back to work, then I will eventually run out of benefits and won't have any income. I am single and self supporting. We need to be able to be approved for disability the first time around, before we end up homeless , on the street, with no bathroom to use. This is a disabling, crippling disease. More effort needs to be made to make SSA aware of it and hopefully get it listed as one of the qualifying diseases. I would like to hear if anyone has had any luck getting on disability for this and how long it took and how many times they denied it. Thanks. Karla [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

I was denied on my first request, most people are. When I appealled I was approved. I sent in tons of info on IC. Plus I had my uro's office very involved in letter writting and information (I sent in 14 years worth of records from past and present uro's) My GP also wrote a letter in regard to my Fibro and my shrink put in his 2 cents worth too.
    I made it my mission to win my case. It's really a shame that we have to prove that we are 3/4 dead in order to win but it's what we have to do. Make copies of everything you send in....keep records of who you talked to and when you talked to them. I have a drawer with nothing but my SS papers in it so that when my review comes up I know where everything is and won't go into a panic because I can't remember something.
    One thing I did learn the hard way.....I was treated VERY poorly by a dr that SS sent me to. At first I was afraid to complain but my case worker had called me for something and I brought it up to her. She was wonderful and a note was put into my file about how this dr treated me (or mis-treated me) and she also filed a complaint on my behalf against the dr.
    WE DESERVE THE BENEFITS AND WE DESERVE TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

I was diagnosed April,2001, after many years of seeking answers as to why i was in so much pain. I had never heard of IC until a coworker was diagnosed. I finally had answers as to why I was unable to work most of the time. I went on disability through my retirement system but was denied SSA 4 days ago. I agree that Social Security leaves a lot to be desired. My mission is to receive my benefits, which means the appeals proicess as well as getting my state Senator involved. I wish that the docotrs at the SSA office would experience my pain for 4 days, boy I bet that I would receive my disability rating.
      Keep the faith . [img]confused.gif[/img]

Comment

YOU GO GIRL [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
        teri
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Working...
        X