Help Need Advise on Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Need Advise on Disability

This might be long so be patient. This is my situation. I was diagnosed with Chronic Epstein Barr Virus in 1991. I have not worked full time since, I was working three days a week. In 1994 I was diagnosed with IC- I dont have to tell you how much of a struggle it is to work with IC but I continued to work three days a week. I was to the point of leaving early, coming in late because of lack of sleep, having to go back and lay down at times due to pain, taking narcotic pain meds at work. I contacted SS last fall about applying but didnt at the time, fearing that I would quit my job and not get disability. In February of this year I was told at work that I would have to change job positions and work the front desk by myself (a position that I hate) and the position has never been done by one but two people and it was very stressful and you were ready to pull your hair out at the end of the day with two so I quit, which I have no regrets. I applied for disability immediately. I did not mention quitting on my application for disability but of course it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that I quit and signed up for disability. Also I was sent for a psych exam and it came out in that interview. Do I just ignore bringing this up and leave it at that or should I explain like I did above what had happened and why I felt like I had to quit? I have gotten the disability book off of this site and am in the process of reading it and it has been sooooooo helpful. Alot of things that I didnt think of or know. It is wonderful. Anyway, if anybody can give me some guidance on this I would appreciate it. Thank you. Susan frown

When you are applying for benefits don't leave anything out. If you can remember how many times an hour you needed a restroom, put that down. It's up to YOU to win this fight. SS doesn't want to pay you a nickle so you have to be the one fighting here. When I applied I sent stacks and stack of papers on IC. Now, SS has recognized IC an a disability. So push for it with all you've got. This is NOT the time for the weak and whimpy. You have to defend yourself as if you were fighting for a child.

Make sure that YOU have a copy of all of your medical records and YOU send them in....don't think that just because SS sent a form asking for the records is going to help. YOU have to get a copy of any hospital records if there are any. And, you play the depression card with all you've got. They will try telling you that you are depressed because you have a chronic illness. BS
    You tell them that you were having problems with depression way before being dx''d.....don't leave anything out.

When I went thru it I made it my mission. I was going to be validated no matter what and when I won, I think my healing process began.

wishing you the very very best~
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Teri,
      Thank you for your reply. Yes, I made the mistake the first time around with the medical records. You are right - dont ASSUME. I personally had records from my family practice physician which had consult letters (but not the whole files from the doctors) and I sent all of that and signed 10 medical release forms. They didnt request any records other than ones from a hospital. Afraid that they would have to pay the piddley 11.00/doctor for the records. When I asked my case worker about it she said that the doctors didnt comply. I had personally called three different offices and they did not get medical releases - that is part of what I am going to base my appeal on. The thing that I hate is when you tell them something they twist it around, get it all screwed up. I have no intenion of giving up. I am not in this to lose, I will fight and call them so many times that they will give it to me just so I will keep my mouth shut and not bother them anymore. I have already gotten all of the medical records that I need to send in with the appeal. I am going to send the things certified return receipt or hand carry them. They want you to give up, well I am not. This disease has changed my whole life, personally and socially. I havent been out of the house to do anything but go to the doctor and the grocery store and that is it. No socializing, no visiting, nothing. I am going to write a huge letter to go with my appeal, I just hope that someone takes the time to read it. After reading the disability book that I got from this site I learned that people that arent even doctors sometimes review your case. There is a form letter in there that you send with your case to request that a licensed physician, etc. review your case and send copies to your congressmen, etc. I intend to do that. My case worker with disability was a joke. Never returned my calls, I would have to call her and catch her in the office, she had no intentions of calling me back. Anyway, thank you for your reply. Susan

Comment

Susan~your case worker has a boss and if I were you, I'd find out her bosses name just incase I needed it! If she is not returning your calls, she is probably not keeping a record of you calling either which IS NOT GOOD! I know I'm going to take a hit on this one but there are too many of our state and government employies who stick it to the system and get every minutes worth of time the are 'at' their job, if they had to document how many minutes they were 'doing' their jobs it would be the flip side of the coin.

Stay strong and don't take your eye off the ball, no matter what!!! kissing
        teri
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Working...
        X