Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyshciatric Evaluation

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. I filed for SSDisability on Nov 1, 2000. I sent in letters from family and friends, a biography of my life from 10 years ago until now, a detailed outline of all my symptoms, wrote detailed letters to my Dr.'s etc....
    My adjudicator called me and told me that I did a wonderful job on the forms and she couldn't believe all of the extra work that I did. She said that it would greatly expedite my claim. And then she told me that I would be scheduled for a psychiatric evaluation for Jan. 30th. Because I said that I had depression from the chronic pain.
    Has anyone ever had one of these. I am so nervous. I feeli like my whole case is hanging in the balance because of this. Is there anything I should know or do?
    Thanks so much and I would be willing to answer anyone's questions on what I did. The last time I filed, 3 years ago, I got denied within 30 days and I haven't yet so I think that is a good sign.

Thanks

Penny

I had to have one too Penny. He was a very kind dr....it's something that they have to do. For me, it was a total waste because I'd been suffering from depression way before the IC took over my life. What they will try to say is that you are depressed 'because' you have IC....if you suffered at all with any type of depression before the IC, stress that with the dr when you go.

PLEASE don't worry like a crazy person like I did, all's it did was put me into a flare....
    wishing you GREAT LUCK! teri
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Hi Penny,
      I filed for SSD in Oct. 1997 with the help of a lawyer(reccomended by other disabled friends) and it took 3 denials, which is standard and waiting 21 months, but it all paid off. I put together all the paperwork just like you did and turned it over to the lawyer and the only thing I had to do after that was to notify him of any change of meds, tests, doctors visits or hospital stays. It was well worth the money I had to pay him because I didn't have all the headaches of fighting the system. I had to prove to them that IC was a REAL disease. Speaking of depression, my uro reccomended a pain management psychiatrist(sp) because anyone that suffers from chronic pain also suffers from depression. I hope I have helped and if you have any further questions, please feel free to email, [email protected] Main thing-DON'T GIVE UP !!! Sending gentle hugs and prayers, Tx-Brenda.

Comment

Dear Penny,
        I was approved in 11 months with one denial here in GA and I, too, had to go for a pyschological examination. Since reaffirming the diagnosis of IC would involve
        at the least, a hydrodistention, I somehow think that the "psycho" part is general practice because they can't think of anything else to have you do. The funny thing about my exam was that I was sent to the daughter of my mom's primary care physician (for 30+ years) who I've known since she was a child! Also, if you get your first denial (and I hope you won't)call your congressman's local office and ask for their help. He/she will then ask SS for an official inquiry into your claim. This means that every time SS communicates with you a copy is sent to your congressman. It really helped speed things along for me.
        Good luck,
        Jean

Comment

Teri,

Thaks so much for the info. I will try not to worry. And I did have depression before the IC caused by having infertility and being sexually abused as a child. I was seeing a psychiatrist when I was 8 years old. I also had severe panic attacks for about a year about 3 years ago. So I will make sure to tell him that.
          Well, I am off to the ER because I am having a terrible flare right now and I can't even stand up straight.
          Thanks so much!!!!

Penny

Comment

Jean,

Thanks so much for the info!! I am glad that you got approved. I hope it won't tkae me very long because we really need the money because right now we are living with my mother-in-law and I really want back out on our own.
            After my first denial, I will contact my congressman. That sounds like a wonderful idea and I hope it works for me.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}

PEnny

Comment

Why would you emphasize having depression before the IC? I would think that would only serve to de-legitimize (not sure that's a word) your illness, because then they will start to think it's psychosomatic (I'm not saying it is). I know this all too well; my family assumes my illness is psychological because I had some anxiety problems before I got sick. I would think having depression as a *result* of the disease is a normal thing and I can't see why that would be used against you. Maybe I'm missing something. ?

Comment

LM: Unfortunately, depression is sometimes considered a more valid disability than IC. I think it's probably because more people are familiar with it. Some IC people have actually been approved for SS based on depression.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

LM~even tho I have multiple other things wrong with me, the depression is what make my case be approved in 9 months. I've learned NOT to question they system cuz there is never anything they do the same way twice.
                  ~teri
                  teri
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

I realized after I asked that maybe you were saying you should emphasize that you had depression *before* your illness so they would know you were able to work even while you were depressed and wouldn't think that is the reason you can't work now. So I came on here to say that. I still don't really understand what you're saying, but I guess it doesn't matter. All I know is that for me depression has been a label that makes my other health claims less "real" to others, unfortunately. But I have never had to go through these claim things so I don't really know what they're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X