Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am deciding between a lawyer and a disability advocate. Any opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am deciding between a lawyer and a disability advocate. Any opinions??

I just got my first denial. I have the choice of either a lawyer who's in my city. I'm meeting with him tomorrow and will see if he has any experience with IC. Not sure if that matters, really; I know a lot about IC.

Or... there is a disability advocate--they are paralegals, not lawyers (SocSec. does not require a lawyer), who recently won a case for an IC patient on this site. The advocate's office is in another city a few hours away--either they would travel to me or they do stuff over the phone. Any opinions?? Thanks!
    Last edited by naturetree; 08-06-2004, 07:28 AM.

It is not worth getting anyone until you have your second denial. Then you want to ask for an administrative law hearing, and at that time get an attorney who specializes primarily is Social Security disability. They get 25% of your award based on the amount accrued from time of initial filing until date of the award. My SS attorney more than earned his fee.

Yes, experience makes a lot of difference.

I never considered an advocate. Also find out the win/loss percentages of anyone that you engage. Ask if that individual has handled a case that in any way resembles yours. It need not be an IC situation. Make sure that you provide lots of IC information to your attorney. Even today, IC and simple cystitis are frequently confused. The amount of education that you have makes a difference. The more education, the harder it is to win SS. The SS Administration believes that if you have an education, there must be some job that you can hold--even if it is telephone work from your home.
    Liz

Comment

I would agree, I do not think it is worth getting anyone until you get your second denial. My layer told me almost everyone has to go through the process up to a trial. I was young and had a batchelor degree, even with a multitude of health problems had to go this whole wrote. I just recently got my first check after years. I hope things go faster in your state. I do not know anything about disability advocates but my husband believes the lawer did his work and only costed us money if he won.
      Faith, Hope, and Love,
      Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
      Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Working...
      X