This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SSDI approved twice, no judge

Thanks for all of this. I just got my 1st denial saying that I only have limitations but can work. So starting my appeal. I was wondering where do I get the functional reports to have Doctor's fill out?
    Originally posted by Taramc View Post
    Hi,

I think my experience with SSDI has been a little different than most. I've been approved twice with no court or judges or any of that. I'll just do a re-cap here and maybe I can be helpful.

I got IC from a hot tub infection in 2007, got fibromyalgia (or neuralgia) with it and by 2010 I had all the other symptoms of fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, migraines. The fog and fatigue were more disabling than the IC, as I was doing instills frequently and adjusting my diet. But the IC pain warrants narcotics about twice a week and Lyrica made me s.t.u.p.i.d.

After being written up at work a couple times for memory and accuracy problems, I quit, sold my car, and filed for SSDI online. I have a history of PTSD and other psychiatric issues that included a couple hospitalizations in my 20's (I'm 44) I included all of that when I filed. Simply because the IC pain was making it worse.

Then I saw a psychologist who did some IQ testing and included his 5-page report, which I sent to Disability Determination Services myself. And I sent in some notes from a previous therapist who diagnosed me with a Dissociative Disorder. The psychologist's report and those old notes seemed to confuse the issue. My first denial letter (after 6 months) stated I was denied due to "marijuana addiction" and "Borderline Personality Disorder." I admitted trying marijuana to the psychologist, and the disorder was only suggested in some old notes.

Since I have neither - I smoke about twice a month (it flares, btw) and that disorder was ruled out, I got the idea they must just be BUSY. They probably just skimmed what was being sent in, looking for reasons to judge against me. It was really hard not to take it personally. Drug addict? And I've known people with that disorder... very selfish. Not applicable. But they are just in a hurry, obviously. And of course they don't care. Why should they?

At this point I started soliciting letters from my doctors. They stepped up. My primary care doctor vouched for the decline in health. For my urologist, I printed out the SS rulings and highlighted what applied to me. She dictated a letter based on that. 10 months after I originally applied for SSDI, I got an approval letter and my benefits kicked in starting January of 2011. I got an easy part time job, got on with my life.

Social Security then reviewed me in 2014. By then I had developed gastritis in my esophagus, lactose intolerance, and some IBS. I thought for sure they would continue my benefits. They sent me to their doctor and their psychiatrist. Then they reversed my benefits starting in 2015. The reversal letter said I had been approved for PTSD that was expected to improve. And that I could perform simple work. NO mention of the IC. Again.

SO, I immediately filed an appeal, in person. I got the same lawyer I had before. Then I got busy seeing my doctors and letting them know what happened. My rheumatologist and psychiatrist were quick to fill out 'functional reports', which I hand delivered to the lawyer and Social Security. Then I got my urologist to write another letter. I had to remind her 3 times, but she did it. Remember the doctors are 'just busy', too. Nothing personal. I used the 'new SS ruling' as a reason to re-remind her. Once again I printed it out, highlighted what applies to me, wrote in the margins about what surgery was when, all that.

Now 6 months since my reversal, Social Security has simply written me and said my benefits will be re-instated!! Along with like 3 pages of re-cap on the information they have.

The denial letter mentioned a 'disability hearing officer' was the first step. Then my lawyer said they want to do an 'informal hearing.' These both sounded like something I would have to participate in. But I think what happened is they just kept getting doctors letters and functional reports so they had a hearing without me and made their decision.. maybe to avoid more work?

Um so the point of this big long story? I guess BUG your doctors and BUG Social Security Disability Determination Services. Don't take their lack of interest personally. Get a lawyer. If you get approved, then later reviewed and sent to their doctors, let their doctors know how miserable your life is. I think I was too positive with the Social Security doctors.

Definitely keep track of your symptoms and your medications. I bring in a list of symptoms and medications to every single doctor appointment. These get scanned into my records and seen by Social Security. Be nice and 'helpful' in your routine doctor appointments, even though everything seems hopeless and there's no way they could understand the symptoms. They are just people, too. Stressed out, easily distracted, and squeezing you between two prostrate surgeries.

Okay now I'M rambling haha. I hope this helps.
    Robin

Other Conditions: IBS, Osteoarthritis, Neuropathy, Asthma, 3 bulging discs in my back (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar), Arms & Leg tremors, Shooting nerve pain through my feet and legs (they think these are from medications), Vitamin D deficiency

Comment

You should be able to get the forms from the Social Security Office if you can't find them on the internet.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks! I found it on SS website.

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
        You should be able to get the forms from the Social Security Office if you can't find them on the internet.

Donna
        Robin

Other Conditions: IBS, Osteoarthritis, Neuropathy, Asthma, 3 bulging discs in my back (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar), Arms & Leg tremors, Shooting nerve pain through my feet and legs (they think these are from medications), Vitamin D deficiency

Comment

Re: SS ruling on IC

Donna I can't find the disability packet in the shop, does it still exist?

Comment

I'm the same way, over the last several months I have felt as if there was something wrong, I thought I had several UTI and been on so many antibiotics that never worked and was in pain that it has really made working hard to do. I have been in and out of my bosses office due to these minor screw ups that has piled up. The stress of the job and not feeling good just does not mix. I have an appt with a lawyer tomorrow to see about this. I've been off for over a month and doctor has me out until end of October for right now. He says has to see how the meds work. I don't know how to function with this pain and peeing all the time. I'm scared of getting fired because of this.

Comment

Samm, I just wanted to touch base with you because I went through that. I kept being told you can't apply for SSDI if you're still working.
              I was stubborn, thought I'd be able to go back to work so I didn't apply.
              I had 6 months short term disability, during which time I never applied for SS because I was "going back to work."
              Well, guess what? I couldn't. I learned a hard lesson. I should have applied from the get-go and be well into the application process while I was on short term disability. As it was, I waited too long, and had to go the full 2 years it took with no pay. If I'd have been smart about it, if have stayed off work and gone from short term disability long term disability and has income.
              I don't know your situation, dear one, but I know you've got to be scared. 😔
              If you have access to STD and LTD, maybe you can draw them consecutively while you're in the application process?
              If that's not possible, and you do end up having to go without okay during the waiting period, SS will give your back pay once your approved.
              It can be a difficult process, but it can be done. I never thought I'd make it through, but I did. If I can help you in any way, I'd be glad to. Please reply, and I'll get you my contact info.
              Sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone and autocorrect is not my friend. I just took a Foley out after a difficult flare and I'm not all here, lol.
              I do hope that the one thing you will do if use this time the doctor has you of work that you'll rest and take care of you!
              Daisy Mae
              (formerly DonnaRenee1)

Diagnoses: IC, fibromyalgia, inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disease, reynaud's, APS, (the lupus anticoagulant, also known as "sticky blood syndrome")
              Meds: low molecular weight heparins, synthroid, methadone for pain, tizanidine, cymbalta, pyridium plus, urelle, phenergan for nausea, ambien, lisinopril, norvasc, plaqenuil for arthritis, and over the counter Prelief
              Treatments: DMSO, occasional hydrodistentions, hot baths, strategically placed heating pads and ice packs, TENS unit, and everything from pity parties to prayer.
              I have lots of support from my family. My husband and my parents are amazing! I have a wonderful daughter who also has IC, and she has given me 2 precious granddaughters. They are my heart and soul! Thank you God for my family!

Comment

Hi Daisy. If you could give me your information and I can let you know what my lawyer said and additional information about me.

Thanks
                Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Samm3327 View Post
                  Hi Daisy. If you could give me your information and I can let you know what my lawyer said and additional information about me.

Thanks
                  Shari
                  Hi! My email address is [email protected].
                  (formerly DonnaRenee1)

Diagnoses: IC, fibromyalgia, inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disease, reynaud's, APS, (the lupus anticoagulant, also known as "sticky blood syndrome")
                  Meds: low molecular weight heparins, synthroid, methadone for pain, tizanidine, cymbalta, pyridium plus, urelle, phenergan for nausea, ambien, lisinopril, norvasc, plaqenuil for arthritis, and over the counter Prelief
                  Treatments: DMSO, occasional hydrodistentions, hot baths, strategically placed heating pads and ice packs, TENS unit, and everything from pity parties to prayer.
                  I have lots of support from my family. My husband and my parents are amazing! I have a wonderful daughter who also has IC, and she has given me 2 precious granddaughters. They are my heart and soul! Thank you God for my family!

Comment

Working...
                  X