Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grace13
    replied
    I won my case! Judge was a woman, very nice, the medical adviser told her that she did not think I could find anyone to hire me because of having to use the bathroom at least one an hour, if not more often. Thank you universe

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    Disability

Hi Statesboro,

I was just like you...i wanted to give up....thinking crazy thoughts....because of pain, not knowing what was in store for me....it is hard, very hard but i realized that we have to hang in there.....i applied September 2009 and just got approved, a relative told me....right at the end, things are going to feel like they are closing down, payments are going to be due, out of money....but just hang in there the best you can....it was a struggle, and i almost gave up hope...but i stuck in there.....it was challenging....I guess too, because along with IC . I was told i had Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and it has just double/trippled all pain, discomfort.....and it is starting to affect other parts of my body......have to go to pain management now...tired of taking pain meds....can't stand 5 mins without being in pain...I know how you feel...just as i am typing i feel nerve pain in my right wrist.....you can email me anytime...this is what we are all here for.......

Leave a comment:

• statesboro
    replied
    I am still waiting. By the way, it has now been half a year since I first applied. OK. I used to work at Georgia Southern University as a custodian.(state employee) Regardless, I applied to get on retirement disability through the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia. OK. They did approve me within 4-5 weeks. Of course, they just determined I could not do my state job any longer. (too much reaching, bending,& standing) (and degenerative disc disease for me) The letter came in April, but my first paycheck actually covered February, March, and April. By the way, my bills are more than I get once the insurance gets taken away. I actually sent a message on my congressman's website asking to have someone to check on my case. Anyhow, I was sent an e-mail by some lady with a download at the top.(a form for me to print and give them permission)(which was done) OK. She had sent another e-mail stating that I seem young to be applying and that it may be 8-10 before I do hear anything. Come on. I use to clean for a living, but I can't clean my apartment more than 20 minutes without having to stop to keep from having a fit due to all the pain.(and nap most everyday) By the way, that lady could not walk a mile in my shoes.(and using my cane) (which I use every single day) Yep! I had to take 2 different pain relievers and use the heating pad in order to get to physical therapy today.(then came back home with my legs burning like a big dog) Of course, the person in charge of my case won't know that. (nope) Geez! I am bored of sitting at home, but I don't feel like going anywhere now. (and even pain going through left side of butt now) (and feel like I did not nap at all) Oh, well!

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    Hi there!! Its Me!!
    Crazy question.....how do i put my face on profile here....i can't seem to do it for some reason....email me back at your convenience....no rush!! Thanks Love!!! Have A Great Day!!

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    Disability

First Amaranthe,

I love your scripture quote, and thank you so much for this information....because i didn't know where to start or whom to ask....as long as i know i am approved (thank god) and know i will be getting a check....it has been so hard on me....depression could put you in such bad positions and i was heading that way.....I am so blessed to have people like the IC web and wonderful people like you...I really appreciate all of this and I am preparing myself.......I'm READY GIRL!!!! (smile)!!!!

Leave a comment:

• amaranthe
    replied
    It's been about 6 years since I won my case, but if I remember right, I was approved in Feb. and got my first check in April or May. (I am pretty sure it was April.) This was the check with the monthly amount. But, for some reason, the big check with all the back pay on it didnt come until about 6 mo after I won my case. (My atty's fees came out of this check. Social Security took the attys fees out of the check before they sent it to me, so I didnt have to bother paying the atty myself. They do this with everybody.)

You have the option to enroll in Medicare or not to if you insurance elsewhere, like thru your spouses work. But, most ppl go ahead and enroll b/c someday their spouse will retire or quit and then they will need it for sure! But, if you do have other insurance, then it is automatically your primary insurance and Medicare is automatically your secondary. (Primary pays first, then they send the bill to Medicare and they pay their part.) I have been pretty lucky that between the 2 of them, they usually pay everything and I dont usually have to pay anything!

Medicare kicks in 6 mo after the date the declare you to be disabled. So in my case, since they backdated mine 4 yrs, I could immediately get Medicare. If they backdated yours at least 6mo, I think you can get it too. But, if they didnt back date yours at all, then, you will have to wait for 6 months before you can get it.

Medicare isnt free. They take the premiums for it out of your check. Dont quote me on this, but I think it is about $181 per month. I could be wrong, but I think that's about right.

If I am wrong about any of this then hopefully, someone will come along and correct me. To be sure, you can go to social security's website and then look this up. But, I am pretty sure this is right.

Congrats again on winning your case! I hope you guys will go out to celebrate!

Hugs,
    Amaranthe

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    Disability

Hi Amaranthe,

I was reading your post and see that you had won your case!!! Yeahhhh!!! now that i have disabilty approved, how does the process go now as far as money coming in, when do they start doing everything and do i start getting other medical help....i don't know how it goes and my lawyer didn't explain it to me....Thank you!!!

Leave a comment:

• amaranthe
    replied
    Originally posted by katrina0410 View Post
    Hi IC Family....it has been a long time coming....I was denied 2x with a lawyer and finally got my day....my lawyer told me not to go in there saying...."I can't walk this far or I can't stand this long" the judge wants to hear yards, feet, minutes, seconds....When I went in there was a Medical Expert, Vocational Expert, the Judge(very nice man) the typist, my lawyer and myself...I was sitting in front of the judge....the judge sent me a letter letting me know what questions he would be asking to determine if i am able to work a full 8 hours job.....well...he only asked me two....what was my last job, what kind of work i did.....well, i also let the judge know i needed bathroom breaks, which are frequent....he told me to go whenever i felt like because this is what we are here for.....he took into consideration how many times i went....he asked the Medical Expert his opinion on IC....This Brilliant Doctor blew me away and my lawyer...he explained how IC disables a person, how we are constantly up and down going to washroom, that this was a debilitating disease, there is no cure..he read all the procedures i went through and that there is nothing else left to do and how unsuccessful these treatments are...he said there is no way this young lady can carry on any kind of job the way she runs to washroom and in pain....i felt the judge sympathy, he kept looking at me and i was crying so hard because everything the Medical Expert said was so true...then it was the Vocational Experts turn.....he had nothing to say....he left the room...i hugged the doctor, thanked the judge and hugged my lawyer....yesterday was the best day of my life and i feel so much calm and serenity in my life right now....I wish everyone else the best.....it is scary and it is nerve wrecking, but I prayed to god and I said if i get nervous and act nervous, then i would probably mess up, so i prayed for god to give me courage, wisdom and strength to get me through this....i went in there determined...I thought about my bills piling up and my medical bills and the pain that i stay in.....just keep the faith, have all your papers and most of all have all your doctors behind you, have them write letters in your behalf and this will help you a great deal....thank you Jill for your support, thank you Kathy for your support and shoulder...i am here if anyone need to ask me any questions.....
    Dear Katrina,

I also want to Congratulate you for winning your benefits! Like I told Momw/ic, I have been thru it all too and finally won mine a few years ago, so I know how overyjoyed you both are right now! The day I found out I won, someone could have told me they ran over my dog, and I STILL would have been smiling all day! LOL! (In my case they backdated my case 4 years, so even after the atty's fees were taken out, they STILL ended up sending me a check for $47,000!!! I couldn't believe it! I am sorry they dont send back pay like that anymore, but the most important thing is that you won your case and finally know that you have money coming in every, single month! So, congrats again on winning!

Sending hugs,
    Amaranthe

Leave a comment:

• amaranthe
    replied
    Dear Momw/ic,

Congratulations on finally winning! I remember you coming on here in the beginning and even remember when you applied, not to mention the long time waiting, waiting and then waiting! Whew! It sure seemed like it took forever for you to be approved, but I am so very happy for you that you finally won your case. At least now you can breathe again financially since you will know that money will be coming in every sigle month. I am on disability too for IC, so I know the whole process you went thru and how good it feels when you DO finally win your benefits! So congratulations again!

Sending hugs,
    Amaranthe

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    Hi Mom w/ic

I was just reading your messages before i read the final one...I know you were in complete shock when you opened your mail....It feels so great just knowing that the words "Ms.____ you are being granted full disability, you meet all the requirements". I have been so full of joy all day yesterday and today (still in pain) but HAPPY!!!!...they told me it would be within 2 weeks that i will get my letter of approval and within the month for my money...after i get the letter, i was told i could get Medicare, Circuit Breaker (i don't know if you get this in all states) my husband gets this since he is on disability...you get so much amount of money back every year (if I'm explaining this right) but i too want to know what all is done now..I think i saw something on here that tells you what steps are required after approval..I am so happy for you, I pray, pray from my soul that our other IC families, that have applied get theirs too....because it is a hard task to try to work and deal with this everyday and then you have people that don't know how we feel and would fire us on the spot......email me back anytime and if you find out anything!!!!! Have a Good Night, Sweetie!!!

Leave a comment:

• momw/ic
    replied
    Congrats for winning! I just got my approval this week too. I was waiting for a date to go before the Judge and just out of nowhere got an approval letter. You are right about the doctors supporting you. I didn't have any letters from my docs because we hadn't gotten that far yet - attorney was in process of requesting them. BUT my medical records were heavily documented all they way back from the beginning as to how IC affected me. Make sure you are seeing good docs who document, document, document. In the "reason for decision" letter that I got from SS that explains how and why they decided what they did there were 3 pages of quotes straight out of my medical records dating back to 2002 that they used to support my disability claim. It also seemed to really make a difference that I see a pain management doc. Now this could just be the particular person who decided my case but he emphasized that several times.

Still trying to figure out what all comes next now that I'm approved but like Katrina said...I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and while I don't have my money yet I feel like the worst is over. And to have been ACKNOWLEDGED...is the best feeling ever!

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    I Won My Disability Yesterday!!!!!

Just wanted to say something else to you family.....listening in the lobby.....i noticed lawyers asking clients about their doctors.......it helps a great deal, if your doctors are behind you 100%......from listening to medical expert, he was reading sections my doctors had wrote.....I had my Primary Doctor, My Psychiatrist and my Urologist all write to judge that i was unable to work and wasn't stable to work due to IC......I really hope this help......God Bless all of you, we are truly a family....if a person could fit in our shoes for one day, they will know what we go through and how this disease really is.....Lots of Love

Leave a comment:

• katrina0410
    replied
    I Won My Disability Yesterday!!!!!

Hi IC Family....it has been a long time coming....I was denied 2x with a lawyer and finally got my day....my lawyer told me not to go in there saying...."I can't walk this far or I can't stand this long" the judge wants to hear yards, feet, minutes, seconds....When I went in there was a Medical Expert, Vocational Expert, the Judge(very nice man) the typist, my lawyer and myself...I was sitting in front of the judge....the judge sent me a letter letting me know what questions he would be asking to determine if i am able to work a full 8 hours job.....well...he only asked me two....what was my last job, what kind of work i did.....well, i also let the judge know i needed bathroom breaks, which are frequent....he told me to go whenever i felt like because this is what we are here for.....he took into consideration how many times i went....he asked the Medical Expert his opinion on IC....This Brilliant Doctor blew me away and my lawyer...he explained how IC disables a person, how we are constantly up and down going to washroom, that this was a debilitating disease, there is no cure..he read all the procedures i went through and that there is nothing else left to do and how unsuccessful these treatments are...he said there is no way this young lady can carry on any kind of job the way she runs to washroom and in pain....i felt the judge sympathy, he kept looking at me and i was crying so hard because everything the Medical Expert said was so true...then it was the Vocational Experts turn.....he had nothing to say....he left the room...i hugged the doctor, thanked the judge and hugged my lawyer....yesterday was the best day of my life and i feel so much calm and serenity in my life right now....I wish everyone else the best.....it is scary and it is nerve wrecking, but I prayed to god and I said if i get nervous and act nervous, then i would probably mess up, so i prayed for god to give me courage, wisdom and strength to get me through this....i went in there determined...I thought about my bills piling up and my medical bills and the pain that i stay in.....just keep the faith, have all your papers and most of all have all your doctors behind you, have them write letters in your behalf and this will help you a great deal....thank you Jill for your support, thank you Kathy for your support and shoulder...i am here if anyone need to ask me any questions.....

Leave a comment:

• momw/ic
    replied
    I think it's through your job. I have a friend who used it for her pregnancy/maternity leave after a difficult pregnancy. I know she applied at work. That's really all I know about it. Sorry! I do know that as long as you are working - even if you are not doing a very good job at it - it is harder to get SSD. And...you aren't bothering me!! Holler at me anytime!

Leave a comment:

• Beverly001
    replied
    Disability

Thanks Mom w/IC. Sounds like you have been through some hard times with the IC as well. Do you know how you try to get the temporary disability? Do you have to have a lawer for that? Maybe if I can get the temporary disability for a while, to see if any of these treatments are going to help would be helpful. As with my job I can not work from home. Sorry to keep bothering you.

Thanks for the information,
    Beverly

Leave a comment:

Working...
X