Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boohiss13 View Post
    Bama:

I've never been offerred to have witnesses present. Before my first hearing I asked my Lawyer if I should have witnesses, and that I had at least one ready to testify.....she told me it would not be needed. After reading what you said, and considering I don't have a lawyer now, I'M THINKING MAYBE I DO NEED SOMEONE to be there (Heck, I'm convinced I needed them BEFORE...I did not have a very good lawyer). How do I go about bringing someone? I don't just SHOW UP with someone in tow do I? Wouldn't I need to make them aware first?

And honestly, having them question a friend/family member makes me nervous as all get out....and will probably scare them to death. Could you tell me what type of questions they were asked? I feel awful to put someone on the spot like this w/out giving them an idea of what might happen, ya know?

Thanks so much,

B
    I was told that if I wanted to win with an ALJ that I would have to have a lawyer. I didn't have the money for one so I talked with someone at social security and asked what I should do. The agent informed me that I could bring whoever I wanted to represent me (drs, family members, friends). I brought my husband, mother and mother-in-law. First he talked with me alone and just asked me while I felt that I am still disabled, what my functional capacity is and he needed my list of medications printed out from my pharmacy. Then he asked my husband to come in and asked him the same questions (why he felt that I am still disabled and what my functional capacities are). He asked if I wanted my mom or mother-in-law to testify because he only had time for one of them. He asked her the same questions. My husband and my mom were allowed to be with me when they testified on my behalf. Your doctors records are very important. You need to make sure that your doctors notate everything. I also bought the ICA package on disability. They provide a letter telling exactly how IC can be debilitating. They include a lot of information about IC. It is well worth it but you may already know about it. Seriously, I don't believe lawyers do any good. Who know you better? Your lawyer or family and friends? That is how I thought about it. The first time I applied I didn't have a lawyer and I was awarded benefits. When I had my review there was no reason that I should have been denied. I think that they just want to make sure by having you go before a judge. There are so many people out there applying that I think they just want to be sure before they give it to you the first time or after a review. I think when it is review time that they should just automatically send you before an ALJ so that you don't loose your benefits just because someone looked at only your paperwork. I think they should just skip the first step and talk with you. Anyway, I don't know if that helped any but I hope it did. Just let me know if you have anymore questions.

Kristi
    GO TO: IC-talkblogspot.com
    [B]CURRENT DIAGNOSES AND MEDICATIONS
    lumbar pain,depression,periphreal neuropathy,Insomnia,IBS
    for pain-tramadol ER 200 mgs (once a day),for break-thru pain-talwin(as needed),for periphreal nueropathy-Lyrica 150 mgs (3 times a day),for insomnia-ambien10mgs,for hot flashes- estradiol (estrogen),for IBS-Questran (one packet a day),for depression-paxil (80 mgs)=two 40 mgs a day

SURGERIES-
    *Bladder and Urethra removed (Radical Cystectomy)-August 2012
    *Vaginal Prolapse surgery, ovaries removed and Interstim removed 2012June 2012
    *Cauterization of the bladder lining-1992-i don't know the technical term
    *Bladder distension and cauterization-1992
    *Cystocopy-1992
    *Gallbladder removal-1995-gall stones
    *Hysterectomy-1998-still have ovaries
    *Interstim trial-2002
    *Interstim implant-2002
    *Trial pain pump did not work
    *spinal injections-2009 (once with 1 injection and a second time with 6 injections)

Comment

Originally posted by boohiss13 View Post
      Bama:

I've never been offerred to have witnesses present. Before my first hearing I asked my Lawyer if I should have witnesses, and that I had at least one ready to testify.....she told me it would not be needed. After reading what you said, and considering I don't have a lawyer now, I'M THINKING MAYBE I DO NEED SOMEONE to be there (Heck, I'm convinced I needed them BEFORE...I did not have a very good lawyer). How do I go about bringing someone? I don't just SHOW UP with someone in tow do I? Wouldn't I need to make them aware first?

And honestly, having them question a friend/family member makes me nervous as all get out....and will probably scare them to death. Could you tell me what type of questions they were asked? I feel awful to put someone on the spot like this w/out giving them an idea of what might happen, ya know?

Thanks so much,

B
      I was told that if I wanted to win with an ALJ that I would have to have a lawyer. I didn't have the money for one so I talked with someone at social security and asked what I should do. The agent informed me that I could bring whoever I wanted to represent me (drs, family members, friends). I brought my husband, mother and mother-in-law. First he talked with me alone and just asked me while I felt that I am still disabled, what my functional capacity is and he needed my list of medications printed out from my pharmacy. Then he asked my husband to come in and asked him the same questions (why he felt that I am still disabled and what my functional capacities are). He asked if I wanted my mom or mother-in-law to testify because he only had time for one of them. He asked her the same questions. My husband and my mom were allowed to be with me when they testified on my behalf. Your doctors records are very important. You need to make sure that your doctors notate everything. I also bought the ICA package on disability. They provide a letter telling exactly how IC can be debilitating. They include a lot of information about IC. It is well worth it but you may already know about it. Seriously, I don't believe lawyers do any good. Who know you better? Your lawyer or family and friends? That is how I thought about it. The first time I applied I didn't have a lawyer and I was awarded benefits. When I had my review there was no reason that I should have been denied. I think that they just want to make sure by having you go before a judge. There are so many people out there applying that I think they just want to be sure before they give it to you the first time or after a review. I think when it is review time that they should just automatically send you before an ALJ so that you don't loose your benefits just because someone looked at only your paperwork. I think they should just skip the first step and talk with you. Anyway, I don't know if that helped any but I hope it did. Just let me know if you have anymore questions.

Kristi

ps. yes you do need to let them know who you are bringing ahead of time.
      GO TO: IC-talkblogspot.com
      [B]CURRENT DIAGNOSES AND MEDICATIONS
      lumbar pain,depression,periphreal neuropathy,Insomnia,IBS
      for pain-tramadol ER 200 mgs (once a day),for break-thru pain-talwin(as needed),for periphreal nueropathy-Lyrica 150 mgs (3 times a day),for insomnia-ambien10mgs,for hot flashes- estradiol (estrogen),for IBS-Questran (one packet a day),for depression-paxil (80 mgs)=two 40 mgs a day

SURGERIES-
      *Bladder and Urethra removed (Radical Cystectomy)-August 2012
      *Vaginal Prolapse surgery, ovaries removed and Interstim removed 2012June 2012
      *Cauterization of the bladder lining-1992-i don't know the technical term
      *Bladder distension and cauterization-1992
      *Cystocopy-1992
      *Gallbladder removal-1995-gall stones
      *Hysterectomy-1998-still have ovaries
      *Interstim trial-2002
      *Interstim implant-2002
      *Trial pain pump did not work
      *spinal injections-2009 (once with 1 injection and a second time with 6 injections)

Comment

Working...
      X