Disability how long does it take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability how long does it take

My initial disability I filed in July 2015 and got denied like I thought. I filed my 1st appeal in December 2015 and waiting on a decision. I just checked last week and they are still processing. I was told by Social Security that if I don't hear anything by April 26th to call back. As of now I am 9 months into this. I was told that I should probably get approved this time because I have 10 medical conditions I put down. I had family members, friends and even my Urology Physicians assistant I should get approved.

I am always skeptical so if I get denied again I know I have to appeal and the next one would be at a hearing. So if anybody recently has gone as far as the hearing. How much time did it take from the 1st appeal denial until you had a hearing date? I just want to know so I can get an estimated time.

Thanks,
    Robin
    Robin

Other Conditions: IBS, Osteoarthritis, Neuropathy, Asthma, 3 bulging discs in my back (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar), Arms & Leg tremors, Shooting nerve pain through my feet and legs (they think these are from medications), Vitamin D deficiency

Re: Disability how long does it take

Hello Dolph,

My wife applied for disability (SSD) in June of 2014, she was denied the first time and at reconsideration. She will be having a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge(ALJ) next month. Having the network of support that you do certainly is in your favor, however claims examiners can be "peculiar."

Comment

Hello,

I live in TN (which has a notoriously long wait time for Soc Security to be approved). My filing was several years ago and it took 3 years from start to finish. I was denied twice. The 3rd appeal I hired a "pro bono" Disability lawyer who would not collect a fee unless I won.

I was awarded disability after that last hearing. I highly recommend a pro-bono Disability lawyer if a hearing is coming up.
      Jeannie
      "She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails." -Unkown

IBS/Endometriosis/Prolasped Uterus/CFS, ME/Fibromyalgia/Refractory IC/Celiac Disease/Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction (Immune System issues) B12, Vit D deficiencies

Many surgeries over the years, mainly: Total hysterectomy/Gallbladder & Thyroid removed

Treatments: Tried all except Interstim, Botox injections and bladder removal. I've never been in remission.

Daily-Prednisone steroid down to 3mg long-term, Demerol 50mg, Diazepam 2mg
      As needed-Home TENS unit, AZO Standard, Marshmallow Root Capsules, D Mannose powder, Prelief. STRICT IC DIET or I'm bed ridden. I'm under the care of a Pain Management Clinic.

Was on SS Disability for IC 2004-2006. Back to work 10 years. Annnnd-My bod gave out. Back on Disability as of Aug 2016. WE NEED A CURE!!

Comment

Hi Jeannie! Thanks for a reply. As of now I hired a lawyer and she filed an appeal for the hearing on May 5th. She said in Arizona the hearing date takes anywhere from 13 to 18 months so I am looking at June to November 2017. She says I have a really good case and sees no reason I should be denied. She told me that she wouldn't take the case if she didn't think I could win because she doesn't get paid unless I win. She told me that when you first apply your case worker only looks at each condition individually and not as all of your conditions together. When she puts it all together and submits it then they see the whole thing. She told me that just looking at my medications alone should qualify me. So I am hoping by this time next year I have heard something.
        Robin

Other Conditions: IBS, Osteoarthritis, Neuropathy, Asthma, 3 bulging discs in my back (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar), Arms & Leg tremors, Shooting nerve pain through my feet and legs (they think these are from medications), Vitamin D deficiency

Comment

That is really good news! Yes it takes forever, unfortunately.

When mine was awarded I had been back to work for one year. However my lawyer said we would keep the court date (and we did)...because it wasn't my fault it took 3 years for them to get around to me. I was awarded back-pay for the 2 years I was out of work. EVEN THOUGH I was back to work. If your lawyer hasn't already mentioned this it's worth asking for retro back-pay for all the time you've been out of work.

Did you see the Social Security document on another thread on this topic that shows Soc Security is now recognizing IC as a possibly debilitating depending on the case? It is a good idea to print that and give it to your lawyer and your Soc Security case worker.

I'm on short term disability now through my employer, and about to re-apply for Soc Security disability. Even though I was awarded this once before for the same medical issue, I'm dreading all the red tape and paperwork. I'm sure I'll be denied a couple times too just because that's the game they like to play LOL. I just got a headache just thinking of the process.......

Let us know the outcome and may The Force be with us!!!!!
          Jeannie
          "She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails." -Unkown

IBS/Endometriosis/Prolasped Uterus/CFS, ME/Fibromyalgia/Refractory IC/Celiac Disease/Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction (Immune System issues) B12, Vit D deficiencies

Many surgeries over the years, mainly: Total hysterectomy/Gallbladder & Thyroid removed

Treatments: Tried all except Interstim, Botox injections and bladder removal. I've never been in remission.

As needed-Home TENS unit, AZO Standard, Marshmallow Root Capsules, D Mannose powder, Prelief. STRICT IC DIET or I'm bed ridden. I'm under the care of a Pain Management Clinic.

Was on SS Disability for IC 2004-2006. Back to work 10 years. Annnnd-My bod gave out. Back on Disability as of Aug 2016. WE NEED A CURE!!

Comment

Here's the link I copied it for you

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/d...-02-di-01.html

I'm going to print this puppy and make sure it's at the top of my paperwork for Social Security.
            Jeannie

Comment

Hi Jeanniebug seems like you know a lot about this. I considered going on disability when I very first was diagnosed. It seems to be one miserable day after the next working with IC and being on morphine which can make me so tired. I've called in sick a lot but somehow I've worked the past 11 years. If I was to stop working, I'm afraid my husband and I would lose our house before disability even was to kick in. It is nice you got retropay though! Is it impossible to apply for disability while you are working? I'm imagining so. Not sure what to do. I even want to get a bladder removal, so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to work for quite a while if I go down that road.
              I wish I could have taken a leave when I got my interstim! I only missed 1 week. I worked the day after I had my trial put in. I could hardly stand up and sit down. Literally, I have no idea how I did it. It was painful! I had pillows and stick on heating pads and painkillers and antibiotics, you name it. It wasn't something I think most people could have done.

Comment

Hi yes I have unfortunately been through quite a bit of experience w/disability & IC.

I do know for sure you cannot apply for Social Security disability if you are actively working. I was told by lawyers a person can apply while on Short Term Disability through their employer if it's not expected they will go back to work.

My steps & journey through this has always been:

*Use Intermittent FMLA through employer
                *Freakishly I exhausted ALL my FMLA time & thought I would be fired. But my employer moved the leave to intermittent ADA leave (Americans with Disability Act). ADA leave has no limit whereas FMLA allows only 12 weeks in a rolling year.
                *THEN it got to where I was out 5, 7 days in a row & basically never at work due to flareups.
                *Am now on Short Term Disability through employer up to 12 weeks at 60% pay.
                *After 3 months will move to Long Term Disability pay at 60% pay. Through my employer plan I can use this up to age 67.
                HOWEVER-Employer disability plan through UNUM requires I apply for Social Security Disability if long term. They will still pay until & IF approved...but I am obligated to try to let Social Security pick up the payments.

Lastly, if Social Security pays me less than 60% of my pay....UNUM will pay the gap to equal the 60%.

The reason I have this coverage is because I opted to pay for Short Term Disability & Long Term Disability during Open Enrollment. Normally Long Term pay drops to 40% but I also chose to pay an extra premium to up it to 60% of my pay should I become disabled.

I know this was alot of information, but wanted to share in hopes it will help someone.

If anyone's employer offers STD & LTD pay I HIGHLY suggest it is taken. It will cover a % of your pay if Social Security does not come through. I only paid about $13 a paycheck for this coverage & WELL WORTH it!
                Jeannie

Comment

Originally posted by jeanniebug View Post
                  Here's the link I copied it for you

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/d...-02-di-01.html

I'm going to print this puppy and make sure it's at the top of my paperwork for Social Security.
                  Yes I had this before I stopped working it is the biggest reasoning I decided to go for the disability (plus my sister offered for me to live with her). I also bought the disability packet available at the shop for $50. This was very helpful with the first phone interview.

https://secure2.convio.net/ichelp/si...61680D2C43517C
                  Robin

Comment

Dolph that is good to hear. I'm really sorry my post on the work-to-disability process was so looong. But it IS a major, MAJOR process so I hope it will help someone at some point.

Ya I'm moving in w/my mom. We are very lucky to have options where to live!! I would for real be on the street if I didn't.
                    Jeannie

Comment

jeannie,
                      I was recently diagnosed with IC and am looking into disability. However I have been a stay at home mom and dont have mush of a work history. I had planned on going back to work this fall and now it seams impossible. What advice do you have on what actions i can take?
                      Recently Diagnosed-via Cystoscopy

History of Endo

Currently only taking Amitriptyline, On a strict diet

:

Comment

Hi Brittcoggle,

I would suggest googling "my social security" & you will find the SS main site.

You can register as a new user. It will ask you some personal questions to create an account. Once in, you can view your retirement payment amounts as well as your disability payment amounts.

If you haven't worked enough to be eligible for disability payments that you know of...try calling a Social Security rep & discussing your situation. You may or may not be eligible for low income assistance through various programs from food to utility bills etc. They have several programs & it varies by state.

It would be worth a shot to be sure where your benefits stand.
                        Jeannie

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it.
                          Recently Diagnosed-via Cystoscopy

History of Endo

Currently only taking Amitriptyline, On a strict diet

:

Comment

SSDI payments require a work history.

There is another government disability coverage called SSI that does not require a work history.....check that option out.
                            Jeannie

Comment

This is an older thread but wanted to give everyone an update...also to ask Dolph964 if you've had any updates on your Social Security Disability case yet? Does it still look like June - Nov 2017 before you might have answers?

I sold my home in this past December in Nashville, TN because I'm no longer unable to work. My mom offered to let me move in with her although we've historically always been estranged, plus she has mental issues...so I downsized my life and had movers put all my stuff in storage where she lives in Asheville, NC. She's been abusive my whole life, but I had nowhere else to go so had to give it a chance.

It lasted 17 days. I won't go into details but it was beyond horrific. She's become worse with age and I'm trying to heal not live in extreme stress. I can't handle verbal and physical abuse with the pain I'm in. It started all over again very quickly, only worse.

I crammed all my essential items and my Senior Dachshund into my car and stayed in a pet-friendly hotel for 2 weeks. I had no idea where I was going to live. It was beyond terrifying. I had no permanent address or a plan where to live for the first time in my life. And, I'm sick. Thanks biological mom...

LUCKILY a distant Aunt (by marriage not blood but she's real sweet) had a semi-furnished basement apartment in Asheville. It's old and they hadn't rented it for 5 years so was being used for storage. It's not the Taj Mahal but it's a roof over my head that I can afford.

I had to clean the heck out of it before it was live-able. They're renting it to me at a reduced rate on a month-to-month basis. She and her husband live upstairs, so at least I have "family" in the same house and my little dog and I are safe, for the moment.

At the age of 47 and after 25 years building a career in the Travel industry, it seems surreal any of this is happening to me. My IC has become so bad that I'm completely and totally unreliable to ANY job, including myself and Doctor appointments because I NEVER know how bad the pain will be each day I wake up. And that is exactly what I've told Social Security and this is my Mantra to them.

I'm still being paid by my employer's Long-Term Disability policy I had purchased. They require Doctor certification every 90 days so I'm traveling from North Carolina back to Nashville, TN (a 5 hour drive) every 3 months to see my Doctor, Specialist and the Pain Clinic Doctor. He gives me 90 Demerol at a time to last the 3 months.

This gets expensive and is a pain but it's what I have to do for now. No new doctor is going to take over my Disability recommendations in the middle of the applications at this late hour.

My application to Social Security Disability has been submitted and we're now in the waiting process. I had SS Disability once before for IC (about 12 years ago) so this would be my 2nd time if they approve it.

It's terrifying at times & things are hanging by a thread. I'm just trying to stay strong and appreciate what's in front of me, not what I've lost to IC (and I've lost ALOT).

The Doctors are against bladder removal for me because they said it could make my pain, infections and quality of life WORSE. NO thank you!!

I do see a Therapist on a regular basis and have remained strong through all of the upheaval. We have a safe roof over our heads for now. It's a very primitive rental compared to what I've had in the past (old drop ceilings that are crumbling, fluorescent overhead lights, super old stove etc.) BUT it's clean, it's QUIET and I don't have anyone verbally abusing me anymore which is PRICELESS.

It doesn't have mice or anything lol (TG!) and it includes great cable with flatscreen tv, wifi and all utilities. I've put little white lights and flowers about to jazz it up. I'm fortunate to have this option otherwise I'd be homeless. So I am grateful.

My stuff has to remain in storage so I have to pay for that, which sucks, but it's the way things are for now.

I'll let you all know if I get a ruling on my case.
                              Jeannie

Comment

Working...
                              X