X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgie
    replied
    Change in Guest privileges

I commend you for taking the action you have although I do have one concern that no-one else has brought up.

There are some e-mail addresses such as Hotmail and Yahoo, where people could potentially give false details just to get signed up for the e-mail. I appreciate this wouldn't be so easy with an ISP as you'd have to pay them a monthly fee but with Hotmail or Yahoo, it is free and web based e-mail so details would not be as traceable, if at all. You may already have things in place in the background to cater for this but I thought i'd raise it as a possible issue in case it had not been considered.

It's a sad state of affairs though when you have to take this sort of action isn't it?

I've not posted here for a while. My best wishes to everyone here.

Leave a comment:

• sandramac
    replied
    Again Jill & the ICN team , Thanks for all you do for us !
    Hugs Sandra

Leave a comment:

• MomforGod3
    replied
    Great move, I guess I just don't understand people out there enough who really want to hurt someone else. That just blows my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    whoops one more thing,i have never had to even log in this way,i guess i am just always logged on,but,i can be on in seconds

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    i know some people were sayig it was hard for them to get on here,and that it took awhile.i have this website on my favorites,so all i do is just click favorites,scroll down to the message boards,and click,i'm on in 3 seconds.didn't know if anyone wanted to try that.

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    Great idea, Jill. It makes me feel safe! Thanks!

Mel

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    Jill- Thanks for your concern for all of us.

Leave a comment:

• missychan
    replied
    Thanks Jill! Keep up the good work...

Missy

Leave a comment:

• marymove
    replied
    Thanks Jill for your wise concern.

Leave a comment:

• ~*~Christine~*~
    replied
    This is a good idea, especially because someones safety is involved.
    Hopefully, it will also encourage more people to post now that the board has been made more private

Leave a comment:

• Annie2
    replied
    I totally agree this is the best policy for the safety of each and every one of us. No doubt about it, safety concerns (along with legal issues) really MUST come first. I just wanted to express my concern new people might be put off by not being able to see what the boards are about and, therefore, not join in this caring sanctuary designed for all. I'm glad to hear so many new registrations are coming in!

Cyber Grandma sends great big hugs back! Guess I really should have picked Grandma Wannabe as my screen name.
    Last edited by Annie2; 02-15-2007, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    Awesome!

Jill,

This is great! I love the security.

Kara

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    Annie I agree with you, I lurked to for a while. but, if they really want to read they will join.. kinda like if you build it they will come.. lol.. oh boy I think the pain meds are kicking in... sending cyber grandma huggies,

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    From the number of registrations I have processed today, I would say that the "guests" are registering. Hopefully they will become active members. It's always good to see new people.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    The Internet is like the Wild West -- no one is in actual control, and it can be very dangerous out in the ether. I say this as a computer scientist; security is not my area of expertise, but it is my husband's, and he was relieved to hear of the measures that Jill has taken.

Given that registration is free, I don't see this as a huge barrier to people seeking information. I'm not clear on exactly how you intend this to work. If you're saying guests would have to register and sign in, wouldn't that just mean you're setting a "no guests" policy? Or is the plan to require something less than full registration as a member?

It would be possible to make ONLY the names of the sub-forums, the number of members, and a few sample posts visible to guests, but it would take some work. Well, quite a bit of work, really. Let people sign in. It's not that hard

Thanks, Jill, for continuing to make this a safe space for all of us. My heart goes out to whoever it is that was being stalked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X