FDA Recalls Homedics Heating Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA Recalls Homedics Heating Pads

(Most IC patients use heat and/or heating pads during flares. Please check your pad and make sure you're not using one of these that have been recalled - Jill )

HoMedics Announces NATIONWIDE Voluntary Recall of Certain of its Heating Pads Produced in 2001 and Shipped by HoMedics within the United States in 2001 and 2002

Deborah Straus
    212-229-0500 x242

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Commerce Township, Michigan – February 9, 2007 – HoMedics, Inc announced today a voluntary recall, to the consumer level of approximately 292,108 of its heating pads which were produced in 2001 and subsequently shipped to retailers in 2001 and 2002.

These heating pads were sold nationwide to Walgreens as well as to drug stores, discount stores and department stores.

It has been determined that some of the heating pads contained an inadequate connector crimp, which lead to a high resistance connection that generated excessive heat, thereby posing a risk of burn injuries, fire or damage to the heating pad itself or to materials (like bedding and furniture) that could come into contact with the pad. HoMedics has received eight reports of minor or first degree burns associated with the use of the heating pads and five additional reports of minor or first degree burns possibly related to the use of the heating pads, as well as reports of property damage. If burned, the consumer should seek medical attention if appropriate.

Models involved in this recall include:

Model 802857 (Walgreens by HoMedics) Standard Size Moist/Dry Heating pad; sold exclusively through Walgreens
    HoMedics Thera-P Model HP-100 Standard Size Dry Heating Pad
    HoMedics Thera-P Model HP-150 Standard Size Moist/Dry Heating Pad
    HoMedics Thera-P Model HP-200 Standard Size Moist/Dry Heating Pad with Auto Shut-off
    HoMedics Thera-P Model HP-300 King Size Moist/Dry Heating Pad
    HoMedics Thera-P Model HP-500 King Size Moist/Dry Heating Pad with Auto Shut-off
    Each HoMedics heating pad is marked with a unique 4-digit date code located both on the back of the hand control as well as on the bottom panel of the color box. ONLY 4-DIGIT DATE CODES ENDING IN "01" ARE SUBJECT TO THIS VOLUNTARY RECALL.

In order to accurately identify the date code, consumers should refer to the diagram included in this release.

Consumers whom have any of these particular heating pads should discontinue the use of the product immediately and return it to the retailer of purchase for a full refund. HoMedics is currently contacting the retailers of these heating pads to communicate return instructions. Further information can be obtained by going to www.homedics.com.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-466-3342.

The recall is being conducted with the full knowledge of the U.S Food and Drug Administration. Any adverse reactions experienced with the use of this product, and/or quality problems should also be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Program by telephone at 1-800-FDA-1088, by fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, by mail at MedWatch, HF-2, FDA, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787, or on the MedWatch website at www.fda.gov/medwatch.

More info at: http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/homedics02_07.html
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

These heating pads can be really dangerous. I bought one not to long ago, don't know if it is the same name brand but it smells like the wires are burning. I like sleeping with one on but don't sound like a good ideal. It seems like they are not making heating pads like they did before.

Thanks Jill for the information, I am looking for a new one.

Trishann

Comment

Thanks for letting us all know, Jill!!
      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks for passing on the info. I will check my heating pads right away.
        Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

My grandma had her bed catch on fire from one years ago. Scary.
          http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

We never but a heating pad unless it has the 'auto-off' feature. I don't suppose that would help you if the pad itself were defective, but you can at at least doze off without worrying too much, because the pad will turn itself off in 1 or 2 hours (depending on the model).

Thanks for the alert. I'm sure most of us own at least one heating pad!
            Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
            Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Carolyn, might have an auto off. I beginning to doubt about those too. It just have this stinky smell like wires are burning. Don't worry, I am not using it no more. In the garbage it goes. Grrrrrr

Trishann

Comment

Yikes, Trishann! If the wires are burning, definitely get rid of it!! That's really scary.

Maybe you could try one of the microwave heating pads -- they are just sewn "pillows" filled with rice or other things -- you put them in the microwave for about two minutes and then they're nice and toasty, but they have no electricity in them. So all the time you're using it, it's cooling off. Heat it up right at bedtime and go to sleep.

They are definitely NOT making heating pads like they used to. Mine seem to stop working after only a month or two most of the time. They get used a lot, but still!

If anyone knows a good reliable brand, please let us know!

Thanks.
                Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I think I had one a few years ago during that time frame, but like a few others have said, they don't make them like they use to, I had many years ago that lasted for over 10 years, and I used it all the time, now when ever I buy one, it last for maybe a year or 2 then I have to buy another one.

Comment

thanks Jil.. I have no clue what brand mine is I will have to check and see.
                    thanks for the info
                    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

This is why I often just use the stick on bodiheat pads at night... because there is no risk of fire, etc. They work like a gem and last all night.

Jill
                      Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X