Vaginal Valium Suppositories Made With Glycerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaginal Valium Suppositories Made With Glycerin

This is not an immediate concern here in the USA but it's worth being aware of... particularly for those of you getting compounded suppositories, including: vaginal valium, boric acid suppositories, etc. etc. Also, this is a perfect example of why buying from a foreign pharmacy online can be so dangerous. Just FYI! - Jill

FDA warned pharmaceutical manufacturers, suppliers, drug repackers, and healthcare professionals who compound medications using glycerin of the importance of assuring that the glycerin used is not contaminated with diethylene glycol (DEG), a known poison used in antifreeze and as a solvent. Glycerin is a sweetener commonly used worldwide in liquid over-the-counter and prescription drug products. Although, at the present time, FDA has no reason to believe that the U. S. supply of glycerin is contaminated with DEG, it is aware of reports from other countries over the past several years in which DEG contaminated glycerin has caused human deaths. FDA emphases the importance of testing glycerin for DEG due to the serious nature of this potentially fatal problem.

FDA issued guidance to industry recommending methods of testing glycerin and other controls to identify any contamination with DEG before using glycerin in the manufacture or preparation of pharmaceutical products.

Read the complete 2007 safety summary, including a link to the FDA's News Release regarding this issue at:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2...7.htm#Glycerin

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Does this include the glycerin they use in capsules for vitamins etc...

Comment

thanks for the warning Jill. I use vag valium supp compounded with boric acid as well. they are the only thing that is somewhat helping me . i get them through my healthplan. Should we be concerned if they are being compounded in USA and do you think we should ask about this danger??

Comment

Just thought I would add this. There is an interesting article in the ICA update newsletter I recieved today that has a doctor saying we can actually crush the tablets ourselves, then mix the powder in vaseline and insert vaginally. Just thought it was worth mentioning. He also mentioned just inserting the tablet too. Anyone know anything about this?
        Facebook- Ann Stockmeyer Rachinger

Comment

hi i read the same article in the ica update.
          I tried inserting the tablet crushed up (not in vaseline though)
          the tablet crushed up didn't work for me... but maybe it will for others.
          I didn't try it with vaseline.
          I use the compounded vaginal valium mixed with boric acid (for yeast infection)because the constant moisture of the valium suppositiores was giving me a yeast infection. so we killed to birds with one stone (what it that saying a bird in the bush.... no offense anyone)
          Anyway the boric acid keeps the vagina ph in check and the valium suppository helps calm down the urgency with me. it gives me a little more time to get to the bathroom with out being completely dying!!
          My insurance plan covers the compounded meds so i am very blessed. If my insurance didn't cover them, i would definetly try to crush it up and use the vaseline. valium in the generic form is really cheap, however the suppositories compounded are very expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them..
          Good luck to everyone! gottta go

Comment

I am having mine compounded not with valium but another med. like valium, lorazapn, benadryl and lidocaine. They add a little tea tree oil for me, to prevent yeast infections/ I get these compounded from Dakota pharmacy by Kevin, I don't have insurance and they are not that expensive. They work well and I am so thankful he came up with this combination.

1-800-290-7028

Shelly
            Shelly Matthewson
            Private Researcher
            IC Support Group Leader
            Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
            www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
            PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Comment

hi that sounds like an interesting compound. what is the benadryl do in the suppositiory? thanks

Comment

I have not heard of this treatment before but it sounds like it might help during a bad flare. Do these make you drowsey? How often and when do you take them? Also, do you know the mgs of Lorazapan,Benedryl and lido?
                My uro is not very creative, but is willing to let me try new things. I may ask him to give me an RX. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I was going to ask if other benzos besides valium would work then saw someone else mention Ativan (lorazepam)......how many mg is that? Can xanax be used also?

I am curious, as I'd like to try this, and I think my docs might be more open to a suppository than an oral pill, with all the meds I am on, etc.
                  My dx: RA, Fibro, Interstitial Cystitis, Bipolar Type 2, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, IBS
                  My meds: MTX, Leukovorin, Humira, Prednisone for RA flares, Celebrex, Orphenedrine, Tramadol as needed, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lyrica, Trazodone, Nexium, Singulair, Atarax, Elmiron, Provigil, and Macrobid/Trimethoprim (rotate monthly). I also take a multivitamin, Magnesium, Calcium supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, and vitamin D.
                  Current treatments: bladder instillations

Come play with me on Facebook!

Comment

Dakota Pharmacy (1-800-290-7028) -ask for Kevin

Shelly (Romans 8:28),

I am so glad you are having sucess with a combination that you and Kevin, the pharmacist, found for you! Yea!

I am glad you brought up the point that they are NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. I told Kevin that I have heard complaints about this and that I find them irritating because they are not that expensive and how can a price be put on relief? We are talking quality of life here folks, yours and the people around you!

Kevin said that they are very time consuming to make because they are made for each individual according to their custom needs. The pharmacy needs to make some kind of profit. Kevin spends so long on the phone talking to patients to learn what will best help them. He does not get paid for all that time and is actually doing what our doctors should be doing but won't. Plus, you should see the way they have to package the temperature sensitive prescriptions for overnight fed-ex delivery, that is also time consuming.

I am really happy because Kevin has developed a real interest in helping us IC patients. The more of us that call and order from him, the more experience he will get with us and the better he will be at helping all of us.

He does a lot of bioidentical hormone prescriptions and is very knowledgeable about that...I get progesterone cream from him too.

As for benadryl, wolfaleena, Kevin told me that it has pain relieving properties (at least that is what I understood him to say).

Again, Shelly, good for you for finding something that helps you!

I live in Minnesota and a doctor here wrote me a prescriptiona and told me to send it to Dakota pharmacy about 15 years ago! So, Kevin has been helping me a long time.

Last year, I paid $7,600.00 for my opiate that was not covered by insurance. Now that is expensive!

www.dakotarx.com

1-800-290-7028

Lisa : )

Comment

Ativan (Lorazapam) - Less Drowsy Than Valium

Hi Kathleen,

Kevin, Dakota Pharmacy pharmacist owner, told me that for one patient ativan (lorazapam) made her less drowsy than valium. Valium supps can make you drowsy but not nearly like if you take it orally, that is what is one huge benefit to using it vaginally. Your body does adjust and any drowsiness gets better, at least that is my experience.

You can call Kevin and ask him how many mg.s of each so you can tell your doctor what to write on the prescription. Then after you get the prescription, fax or mail it to Kevin. I have asked the ladies at the doctor's office front desk to just fax it for me sometimes.

You can give your doctor Kevin's phone number if he feels more comfortable talking to Kevin about it or maybe ask Kevin to fax or email you or your doctor a sheet with a list of the drugs and the mgs that you are interested in getting a prescription for..

Just some suggestions..hope it was helpful.

(By the way, I read someone say vaseline, I would never put vaseline in my vagina, isn't that like petroleum?? Use K-Y or aloe vera gel or something...)

Lisa

Originally posted by Kathleen Philli View Post
                      I have not heard of this treatment before but it sounds like it might help during a bad flare. Do these make you drowsey? How often and when do you take them? Also, do you know the mgs of Lorazapan,Benedryl and lido?
                      My uro is not very creative, but is willing to let me try new things. I may ask him to give me an RX. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks Lisa M:
                        I didn't know that benadryl worked on pain as well. Interesting!!!!
                        My suppostiories are valium mixed with boric acid (prone to yeast infections)
                        I am very blessed to have insurance to cover them. I use them three times a day ...but i also take oxyocondone liquid for pain. the suppositories give me a little more time in between potty trips, but i still have pain.
                        Anyone else have any other different compounds with the suppositories.
                        I have talked to Kevin before on the phone.
                        He is very very informative. and is very interested i helping IC patients.
                        He is extremely knowledgable!!
                        Kudos to Kevin for spending his time talking with us. It was very neat chatting with him!

The nurse practitioner in my uro's practice is very open to working with pharmacists who will compound meds for IC patients.
                        Thanks for the info Lisa M.
                        A lot of IC patients are not aware that these options..

Comment

I got an RX for valium suppositories a little more than a year ago from a very good compounding pharmacy. I used them only once a year ago, found them to be messy and just quit. So then I decided to try inserting the valium tablet which my doctor says works just fine but one of the hassles with that is that I only wanted to use non-dye tablets and the only dosage that valium comes in that is dye-free is 2 mg (and most suppository Rx's, like mine, call for 10-20 mgs.), so I was told that I could just go ahead and put in 5 tablets with a bit of KY jelly. Well, I did that 2 days ago and didn't really notice much difference in my comfort level, and 12 hours later a portion of each tablet came out when I went to the bathroom (but at least some had been absorbed). So my latest idea is to crush the tablets (10-12 mg. worth with a mortar and pestle, mix with KY jelly and just insert. I have applicators around from other vaginal Rx's and thought I could fill an applicator. It's kind of a mess but I was thinking that maybe there wouldn't be so much stuff mixed with the valium. I did try using the suppositories again for a 2nd time and they had absolutely no effect at all. My thought was that maybe they were old since compounded medicines don't have any preservatives. Does anyone have any thoughts about all of this. Maybe this idea about crushing them is a crazy idea...but it sure is cheap since generic valium tablets cost very little. Has anyone else used the tablets as is instead of compounding suppositories? Nancy

Comment

my nurse practioner suggested putting a cotton ball in vaginal area to keep the suppository for dripping out during the day so that the moisture doesn't cause yeast infection etc.
                            the suppositories don't have a long shelf life an they must be refrigerated. i have 20 mg of valium in mine.
                            i tried crushing them up and putting them in a capsule. just didn't have the same effect also tried crushing them up and inserting them and also just using the tablet uncrushed. none of them worked like having the compounded suppository.
                            However, the cotton ball has helped with the dripping during the day.
                            Best of luck

Comment

Sorry the posts on this never came to my e-mail...,
                              Kevin is very kind and informative. Each vaginal suppository he makes is basically custom according to your needs. The time he has taken to help me is cheaper than a doctor visit, and often more helpful. He is VERY creative at solving medication issues! (I wish Jill would get him on here for a lecture/question time etc. I think you would all find him interesting. he has alot to give and is so compassionate to us ICer's)
                              I know he did tell a friend of mine he prefered to actually talk to the doctor but has always been willing to talk to me. Then benadryl is for pain but also because I seem to be very allergic reactive to many things, he felt this would help for me. As I mentioned he adds a few drops of tea tree oil for me to help prevent yeast infections too.

Another option we have talked about is transdermal medications. These he makes can be applied to the skin, and can cause less drowsiness that taking something orally. So that may be a consideration for some.

As far as the suppostories not working it could be many things. Who compounded them, were they preservative free? Do you react to the fillers etc.? Do you need a higher dosage etc.?
                              That is what I like about the combinations that Kevin uses, they seem to treat your individual needs. I did found nothing was helping me last week...
                              then realized I have been retaining and my bladder has about shut down.
                              I can not urinate at all, and am having to cath often. Then I am getting sore, the suppostories did help things settle down enough to go once, but mostly they are helping the soreness.

I was told to lay down for one hour after inserting them. I usually use them before bed.

To me the vaseline would irritate and block the absorbtion of the valium. It blocks your pores etc. that is how it protects agains wetness, so I don't really see how it would be as helpful! But as my doctor says, desperate people will try desperate things..., just don't hurt yourself trying to save a $$$$

Shelly
                              Shelly Matthewson
                              Private Researcher
                              IC Support Group Leader
                              Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
                              www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
                              PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X