Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmiron Ships to Pharmacies - Shortage over as of today

HOT NEWS! ELMIRON® SUPPLY AVAILABLE AGAIN

Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., would like to provide you with a product availability update for ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium) 100-mg capsules. We have now resumed shipments of ELMIRON® to distributors and pharmacies.

For a limited time, prior participants are eligible for the EarlyAssist™ co-pay support program. Patients may pay no more than $5 per month for up to 4 months. Visit www.orthoelmiron.com to register.

If you are currently taking ELMIRON®, you should check with local pharmacies and plan treatment accordingly with your healthcare professional.

Our priority is to reestablish supply as quickly as possible. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

What is ELMIRON® ?

ELMIRON® is a prescription medication used to treat the pain and discomfort of interstitial cystitis (IC). It is not known exactly how ELMIRON® works, but it is not a pain medication like aspirin or acetaminophen and therefore must be taken continuously for relief as prescribed by your doctor.

Important Safety Information

ELMIRON® should not be taken if you have a known hypersensitivity to the drug or similar drugs.

ELMIRON® is a weak blood thinner (anticoagulant) which may increase bleeding. Call your doctor if you will be undergoing surgery or if you are taking or will begin taking anticoagulant therapy such as warfarin sodium, heparin, high doses of aspirin, or anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.

Tell your doctor
    • If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant.
    • If you have any liver problems.
    • The most common side effects are hair loss, diarrhea, nausea, blood in the stool, headache, rash, upset stomach, abnormal liver function tests, dizziness and bruising.
    • Hair loss, when it occurred, was almost always limited to a single area of the scalp.

Tell your doctor about any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088. Please click here for the full Product Information for ELMIRON®.

If you have any questions on ELMIRON®, please contact the Janssen Medical Information at 1-800-526-7736 or visit our website at www.orthoelmiron.com.

© Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 2011 July 2011 02E11044
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

WONDERFUL news, thank you. Ziggy

Comment

Question

My pharmacists didn't know how long this would take. Does anyone else know?

I also got the e-mail. Was so thrilled.

Comment

I got the e-mail too, great news!!!!
        ~Ashley

Comment

I hear a collective sigh of relief around the USA! Thank you for the update.

Comment

Yikes, I'm glad, though Kaiser Permanente says it'll still be two to three months before I can expect to see any....blegh.
            Clark College Junior, wanting to go to UW for Fine Art Degree
            Major: Fine Art
            Taking a course in medical transcription, must work from home
            IC diagnosed 07/07
            PFD developed sometime during late 07
            Uterine Cyst removed 12/09
            Chronic Pelvic pain developed in 09
            Chronic Back Pain developed in 09
            Possible vulvodynia

Medications: Elmiron, Detrol LA, BC, Prosed DS, Celexa for anxiety, depression, and pain,
            No longer taking: Atarax (No help),Amytriptalene (no effect, became suicidal), Ditropan (no effect), Probiotics (sick to stomach), Bactrim (hopefully cleared up my UTI!), avoiding Pyridium unless absolutely needed (sick to stomach), Prozac (helped anxiety, no pain relief), Pamelor (gained nearly 20 lbs in a short time, no anxiety relief), Valium, Vicodin, percocet (none of these meds even touch my pain >_<)

Current Therapies: acupuncture, heat, Vicodin if needed, lots of laying down, gaming as a distraction, Pain Management classes started 9/22, Wanting to try TENS therapy

Comment

I mailed off a new Rx for Elmiron today.

Fingers are crossed.

Comment

So of course Kaiser scares me by telling me two months, then a few days later I get some. Only a months worth instead of my normal three month supply, but better than nothing.
                Clark College Junior, wanting to go to UW for Fine Art Degree
                Major: Fine Art
                Taking a course in medical transcription, must work from home
                IC diagnosed 07/07
                PFD developed sometime during late 07
                Uterine Cyst removed 12/09
                Chronic Pelvic pain developed in 09
                Chronic Back Pain developed in 09
                Possible vulvodynia

Medications: Elmiron, Detrol LA, BC, Prosed DS, Celexa for anxiety, depression, and pain,
                No longer taking: Atarax (No help),Amytriptalene (no effect, became suicidal), Ditropan (no effect), Probiotics (sick to stomach), Bactrim (hopefully cleared up my UTI!), avoiding Pyridium unless absolutely needed (sick to stomach), Prozac (helped anxiety, no pain relief), Pamelor (gained nearly 20 lbs in a short time, no anxiety relief), Valium, Vicodin, percocet (none of these meds even touch my pain >_<)

Current Therapies: acupuncture, heat, Vicodin if needed, lots of laying down, gaming as a distraction, Pain Management classes started 9/22, Wanting to try TENS therapy

Comment

happy for ash and others elmiron really helps
                  Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
                  Zoloft- one once a day
                  Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
                  Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
                  tramadol-allergic
                  DMSO treatments(5-6)
                  probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
                  AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
                  Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
                  Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
                  Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
                  where there is hatred, let me sow love;
                  when there is injury, pardon;
                  where there is doubt, faith;
                  where there is despair, hope;
                  where there is darkness, light;
                  and where there is sadness, joy.
                  Grant that I may not so much seek
                  to be consoled as to console;
                  to be understood, as to understand,
                  to be loved as to love;
                  for it is in giving that we receive,
                  it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
                  and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

FYI

I picked up my new Rx, 3 month supply of Elmiron at the post office today.

Comment

Rx for Elmiron

I was able to get my first prescription filled for Elmiron. Hoping that it will help. Does it always take close to a month to work?

Comment

Originally posted by newICnurseynurs View Post
                        I was able to get my first prescription filled for Elmiron. Hoping that it will help. Does it always take close to a month to work?
                        It can take 3-6 months or more to start working, but some people do notice a difference in less time. It's really different for everyone. I hope it helps you!
                        ~Ashley

Comment

I know everyone is different, but was wondering how many Elmiron tablets/capsules do you have to take daily? I was prescribed 2, 2 times per day, so 4 total. When the shortage occured, I dropped myself down to taking only 2 once per day. Today I saw my doctor and they advised me to start back on the 4 per day or they said I could return to having the same symptoms I had when first diagnosed. I guess it's upsetting to think I will have to take this medication the rest of my life!

Comment

Re: how many times/day to take Elmiron

My doctor prescribed one capsule tid (three times a day). Very difficult to do, since it requires being taken on an empty stomach, and spacing it between meals one hour before or 3 hours afterward has proven a challenge. At least a challenge to get in all 3 doses. Interesting to note the different dosing schedules.

Comment

Mine is one pill 3x a day also. I have to take all my meds the rest of my life (except birth control), so its not a shock...
                              ~Ashley

Comment

Working...
                              X