No announcement yet.

Shiutsa Update #8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shiutsa Update #2 - He's home but can't use his leg YET!

After a long scary weekend, we got a call from the Vet this morning telling us that Shiutsa should be brought home for some TLC and care. He can barely walk... but he IS walking on three legs. His fourth leg, though, is being dragged abit because the nerve is apparently inflamed or damaged. We won't know how badly for about two weeks. So, the vet was cautiously optimistic. He said that the first two weeks are huge but it will take another two months or so after that to determine what the full damage will be, if any.

So, I went to the vet about lunch time and he brought in his xrays. Yes, there's a tiny little gap that shows the displacement. Shiutsa was very disheveled and grumpy. When he tries to walk, he goes a few steps dragging the leg and then plops down and sits. The other leg has been traumatized by the fall as well... so it's very sore and a little weaker but it's working.

He was happy to come home, ate some wet food right away and then I held him as we walked into the backyard so that he could really see that he was home. He liked that alot... then we prepped the back bedroom for him with a new litter box, dry food and water.

Amazingly, the doctor said that he would not be able to jump down or up but, when I came back into the room, he was already laying on the couch and starting to fall asleep.

It's going to be rough on him... he's been an outside cat who loves to be under the skies. He'll be inside probably for a month. The vet said that it's wayyy tooo earlyyy to consider amputation. That cats adapt and improve often very quickly.

So, cross your fingers for him. He's definitely discombobulated right now! Poor baby!

Jill
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 04-12-2007, 07:52 AM.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

I am sorry about what your kitties went through, as well as what you went through. I have a dog, ( a weenie dog, he is my baby). He has done some stuff that sent us to the animal 911. He ate one of my diamond earrings once. It was awful. I rushed him to the vet, they took an xray of his tummy and sure enough there was my earring. Thankfully they got him to throw it up and he was ok.
      He also got into a tube of neosporin. I have a 15 year old son, and he likes to leave things laying all around and my Puddin (my dog's name) he gets into everything he possibly can. So, I can totally understand the stress you went through. It is not easy when you have a sick or injured animal. I am glad that your kitties are ok.
      Jen

Comment

Aww, hope he's feeling better soon We do love the furbabies, don't we?
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Jill,

I hope that with time Shiutsa will get used to his new "living quarters".
          Maybe he'll even like being pampered a bit. He'll be back under the sky after his rest.

Well Wishes and prayers for a Speedy Recovery!!

Kara
          Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
          http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

I bet he's thrilled to be home. I could just picture him in your arms purring away as you took him outside. Maybe you can take him out on a leash during his recovery? Thats what I do with my Ruby cat. The parking lot for our apt. is right outside our front door, so we put her on a leash to take her outside. Sometimes she walks, but sometimes she just sits there and enjoys the fresh air!

Comment

I came home from work and found Shiutsa in a very abnormal breathing pattern. Flew back to the vet.. and his heart is giving out. He either blew a blood clot or his heart murmur (which was pretty major) is just giving out. The vet was not sure if he would make it through the night. I told the vet to let him pass easily if it got worse. He's had a great life... He's a beautiful, vibrant, energetic cat... about 13 years old.

We are, yet again, crying in my home. First bad news, then good news and, now, what may be the worst news of all. I told the vet that Shiutsa has had a lovely, long life. He was a vibrant, athletic cat and that I didn't think it would be
              Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Shiutsa Update #3 - He's taken a bad turn for the worse

I came home from work and found Shiutsa in a very abnormal breathing pattern. Flew back to the vet.. and his heart is giving out. He either blew a blood clot or his heart murmur (which was pretty major) is just giving out. The vet was not sure if he would make it through the night. I told the vet to let him pass easily if it got worse. He's had a great life... He's a beautiful, vibrant, energetic cat... about 13 years old.

We are, yet again, crying in my home. First bad news, then good news and, now, what may be the worst news of all. I told the vet that Shiutsa has had a lovely, long life. He was a vibrant, athletic cat and that I didn't think it would be fair to him to live out his days dragging a foot and barely able to walk. He just deserves more than that.

Ironically, my last happy memory of Shiutsa was about a week ago when I found him on my neighbors roof. He made a gorgeous, confident jump from the roof to a tree about five feet a way... and I remember thinking... wow... what a beautiful, proud cat. I knew that I would always remember that moment... it was just a gorgeous scene.

I really liked the way that he came to me when I would look for him... and I really liked the way he would dart away from my hands if he wasn't yet ready to come to sleep. I loved finding him asleep on my bed at 5AM... He'd stretch out all along my legs. I also really loved the way his stubbornness. He is a male cat... and he wants to make the decisions.

And oh, he could jump with great abandon. I would throw a ball and he'd jump four feet high.. or he'd race around chasing a feather mouse. Sometimes he even did back flips. So, every summer after work, we would all go sit on the lower lawn and play for an hour or two. I'd read and he and Sammy would watch the birds using the bird bath or they'd race around chasing each other. Gods, I'm going to miss this.

His heart murmur is from birth... and it had been progressing such that, during his last visit, the doctor was surprised. So, like many other males with dignity, it may be that his heart will be what takes him from us... but his spirit, his lovely sweet spirit, will always be with each one of us in the Osborne house.

J
                Last edited by icnmgrjill; 04-12-2007, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Oh Jill,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I was so happy for you when I read he was home. At least he has been very happy with you at home today, and you took him outside which you said he really loves. I will pray for him, and your family.

Comment

(((((HUGS)))))

Comment

so sorry about your kitty. sending big hugs to all of you.
                      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I am so sorry.

Comment

Sending a hug, you're doing the right thing for him...
                          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                          Source - Pinterest
                          "

Current treatments:
                          -IC diet
                          -Elavil 50mg at night
                          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                          -Pyridium if needed,
                          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                          -Managing stress= VERY important!
                          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

So very sorry to hear this, Jill.
                            hugs,
                            Janie

Comment

Its so heartbreaking when we have a sick animal that might not get better..I know all my pets are like my kids.. I am so sorry Jill...(((((((hugs))))))))
                              Hugs
                              Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                              http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                              Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                              Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                              Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                              Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

It takes a lot of love to be able to let go. I'm so sorry this is happening.

Sending warm hugs,
                                Donna
                                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

[3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                                X