Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel53H
    replied
    I agree...you will know when it is time. It has happened to me several times. It does not make it any easier though.

Talking to the doctor will help too. Although, I have to say that Shiutsa has surprised everyone with how far that he has come. He might just have a few years in him left.

I have 5 cats. One of them is 20 and another is about 18 or so. So, you never know.

Hang in there. I will be thinking of you and your Shiutsa.

Leave a comment:

• Julie B
    replied
    Oh Jill.......my heart breaks just reading this...........there is no way anyone can really tell you what to do...........trust your heart..........trust your vet.............trust your sweet kitty.......gentle gentle hugs........

Leave a comment:

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    Jill,
    I'm so sorry that you have to make such a hard decision. You will know what to do, you may already know what to do now. If he's so unhappy inside but he can't go outside that's gotta be hard, if the vet says that he won't have much longer anyway and the time he will have left will be so unhappy for him then I would put him down. I personally have never had to go through this, my parents had to put our cat down but I was in college then and not at home. I must say though, I have never lived at home since them and years later I would still go home and expect to see that cat because I wasn't there when he was put down. I know whatever you do it will be very hard on you, and we are all very sorry for that.

Leave a comment:

• stacey79
    replied
    I have no advice, but know this is a horribly hard decision. Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!

Leave a comment:

• SharonA
    replied
    ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Leave a comment:

• dancemomof2
    replied
    How sad. Maybe try a harness and tie him outside for small periods of time when you can be out and around to watch him, maybe that will comfort him some and he will still be confined somewhat. I agree you will know when and what is best.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Jill, This is so heartbreaking! I hope that the vet will have some suggestions for you on Monday. I wish I knew what to tell you. It is so hard, no matter what you do. I just hope the vet has some ideas. Hugs going out to you! (((((Jill))))

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    Jill,

I hope you get some advice from the vet on Monday. This situation is hard no matter how you look at it.

Love and Hugs!

Kara

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Your heart will tell you when it's time.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{You}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I too would be thinking of putting him down. It's a hard decision always, but when the kitty cannot live his life the way he wants, it's not really a life anymore.

When I was younger, we had a beautiful Persian named Zeus; we got him when I was in the 5th grade, and he was still alive when I went to graduate school. But he was failing fast -- his arthritis was so bad it hurt him to get down to sleep and get back up again. He couldn't go out anymore -- his version of "out" was just sitting on the porch, but he couldn't make the steps down. He started peeing on the floor because he couldn't even climb into his litter box without pain.

When we looked at how horrible his life was, we realized that if it were us, we would just be waiting to die. So after thought, my dad took him to the vet and put him down. It was horrible and sad, but that way, there was no pain any longer.

I am crying again as I write that story -- even though I have a new furbaby these days, I still miss the old one too.

But sometimes you have to let go....

Leave a comment:

• Zygala87
    replied
    Jill you have done your best. Let go. It is time. He is an outside cat by heart and does not understand what your problem is. You are under great stress as is the little guy. I have been in your shoes. The pain will get less but never will go away. My tears are flowing as I type and it's been 4 years. Yet I know without a doubt I did the right thing. You are in my Prayers, Ziggy

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    I honestly would have to say that I would be inclined to put him down. I had a horse that was literally my heart, and I cannot even describe the relationship I had with this horse. She came down with sand colic and we walked her for two days straight to no avail. She finally could not be kept up any longer in good conscience and we called the vet. She lay with her head in my lap while they put her to sleep and I died inside. But I wouldn't ever do it any differently, because she was suffering. She'd had a long live and all she knew was that she was in pain and she couldn't life happily and comfortably. So we let her rest. I believe it gives honor and dignity to a close friend such as a pet when we honor their memory by not tarnishing it with long, lingering suffering before death.

HTH, and lots of hugs and understanding (I had to put down my Sheltie as well), and prayers,

Sincerely,
    Moonheart

Leave a comment:

• icnmgrjill
    replied
    Shiutsa Update #8

Well, Shiutsa has been home for almost a week and he's walking reasonably well... but he's driving us all BATTY!!!! He constantly yowls to go outside even though this one leg doesn't work well. Of course, he doesn't really understand that it's not working well. So, he's either sleeping or yowling. Sometimes it's for attention. Sometimes it's to ask the house where the people are... but most of the time it's just to go outside. Have to say that I've about hit my limit.

See, the problem is that he's, at heart, an outside cat. He doesn't like being inside. He has never liked being inside and he's telling us that every day and night. The vet, however, says that he has to be an inside cat for probably the next month or so. I don't know if we'll survive it. He's so angry... and sad. Worst, between his leg and his straining heart, he wouldn't survive long if we let him outside. He can't even get down the stairs right now without pain.

I need to have an honest discussion with the vet on Monday to ask just how bad is his heart. How long would we expect him to survive? The vet told me he was at deaths door two weeks ago. If there is no chance of him being outside, I really think that I'm going to have to put him down. He's miserable... he's soooo miserable and sad and angry.

Oh lordy. I've spent $90 on stairs to help him up on the couch. He just jumps. I've spent $170 on large canvas, zipped dog carrier for him to sleep at night because we were worried that he would try to jump up on a counter and fall. He's not supposed to be jumping. After five nights, I've learned that he ALWAYS knocks over the water and, if he knows I can hear him, will meow and cry for, you got it, an hour or so.

I'm trying not to reward him for crying by responding... but, on the otherhand, there are times when he seems to be in genuine distress and I, of course, go right to him.

This is insane right now. He's a good cat but with a serious, probably irreversible nerve injury combined with heart problems. 13 years old... and, honestly, we've treated him so well. It's been a great 13 years all the way around. I hate thinking about putting him down when he's still able to walk and stuff, but his quality of life is just horrible right now and I don't think it's going to improve much. I can't, in good conscience, let him roam outside with these injuries.

All advice would be appreciated. I'm at my wits end! Thank god my other cat is very very quiet.

--- UPDATE ---

As you can tell, I wrote the above note after a very long day. We had a much better day today. I bought a rabbit harness on Friday which fits him perfectly and, after three days, he's finally walking outside in it. He spent about two hours outside today and is a much more content cat now. He hasn't yowled hardly at all tonight.

I also went out and bought a $40 tent at KMART that we've set up on the deck as Shiutsa's private castle... It has rugs in it, steps, his favorite big bed, litterbox and, best of all, lots of windows to the outside that lets great ventilation in.. but it's entirely secure. Unless he figures out how to unzip it, he can't get out. So, the two cats and I sat in that today for about 30 minutes and they seemed to take to it well. So, atleast we can now PUT HIM OUTSIDE when he wants to be outside. Amazing, the crying stops immediately. But, I am going to ask the vet for something that will calm him down when he gets too worked up about it.

Sorry for the drama. My biggest button is when family members AND pets are in pain. When they hurt, I hurt and I agonize/obsess over how to make it better. It's so hard when I know that they aren't happy... but we'll see if this works well.

Jill
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 04-22-2007, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    YAY!! I am so relieved to hear that he's feeling better and trying to get up to his old tricks again, hee hee!!! That's one tough kitty!!!!

BIG hugs for the both of you!

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    Oh Jill, I'm so glad Shiutsa is home. Sorry you aren't getting much rest. I know how hard that is. Hopefully you realize that this is why I haven't bothered you about our meeting. I think you have enough on your plate as it is. Please know that you and your little love are in my thoughts and prayers. Will talk to you when things settle down k?

Hugs,
    Moonheart

Leave a comment:

Working...
X