Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trishann
    replied
    So sad about hearing this news, condolences to his family. Thank you for being an advocate for the IC'er.

Leave a comment:

• Nonna
    replied
    Dear Dbeare

I just read your post and it reopened the wound that has not begun to heal. You said everything and more of what so many of us feel. What I was wondering is if you've posted anything to his online memorial guest book. It's what his family is reading on a regular basis and I've been saddened that so few people who knew him in Colorado have even gone to the site to write anything. I think that a lot of people don't even know that he is gone. It would mean so much to the Brookoffs if you who feel as strongly as you do and write with equal eloquence, would sign the guest book. I was so honored to finally meet their family in person at the funeral so that I could finally tell someone what he meant to me. Please think about signing the guest book and what you just said above was so right on that it gave me shivers. Thank you. I cannot believe he is no longer in this world. Even after he stopped practicing a year ago in Denver, I always knew he was there, on this earth, caring about each and every one of us even though he was unable to express it. There will never be someone who cared about those of us with IC as he did. I've cried many many tears. Nancy
    P.S. you can access the online guest book by just googling his name and memorial guest book.

Leave a comment:

• dbeare
    replied
    My beloved Dr. B

II am so angry. I only learned of your death this week Dr. Dan. I learned of it by a letter from the ICA establishing a Memorial Pain Management Fund and I just completely fell apart. He was my doctor and friend for many years when he was practicing at Methodist in Memphis. I began seeing him when he was working in the teaching practice before he established the clinic. I had a baby and had a traumatic delivery that re-triggered my IC. No one wanted to help until I wrote Dr. B a letter telling him about myself and needing desperate help to care for my family. He called me immediately after reading it, said it had moved people to tears as they read my story. I believe he saved my life as I tried to cope with the stress of caring for children while in severe pain. He always treated me with the utmost compassion and always took all the time with me that I needed, even if it meant keeping him in the clinic hours after everyone else had left. I have never known anyone as brilliant and funny and passionate about life as he was. This creates enormous conflict when you have the most diligent care possible and then this person you adore has to stop his practice because it didn't make enough money. Everyone is so passionate about Dan because there is no one else remotely like him willing to enter our lives and fight the good fight with us and for us. I read something about him on legacy.com that a doctor had written about him saying "you must always do two things for your patients. You must believe them and you must love them." I have been sick with IC over 25 years and have never found anyone else to demonstrate the standard of care that he so freely gave, and at great cost to his own health. As a matter of fact, he did a procedure on my knee just a few days after having a mild heart attack, and had the balloon procedure. He was in so much pain he was literally shaking. But that was Doctor Dan, always giving of himself as fully as humanly possible. He was everything Jill said and more, and he restored my faith in humanity and challenged me to do and be my best. I pray for his family and all of us left in the wake of losing someone who was such a hero to the "in pain" community. I will always love him, and remember him as the doctor who took time to visit me in other hospitals and even brought me a teletubby after he saw my room devoid of any gift or visitor. I love you Dr, B, and I promised you I would always pray for you and I always will. I am devastated that your are gone, especially knowing you as mentor and friend. I miss you so much! :'(

Leave a comment:

• amaranthe
    replied
    I am so saddened to hear this news. What a tragic loss! The IC world has truly lost one of our champions. Although I never had the chance to meet him, I read many (if not most) of his transcripts and know what an amazing Dr. and person he was. I believe he is the one who compared our pain to that of cancer and said that we too should be offered opiod therapy to help combat that pain. He was definately one of the first Drs to believe our pain and to speak openly to others that our pain should be treated.

Although the world has suffered a great loss today, it is indeed Heaven's gain. May the Lord comfort his friends, family, and patients, and may He welcome him into Heaven's gates.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    My thoughts are with his family. I too have been off the computer for awhile and this is the fiest time that i have heard about his passing,

Leave a comment:

• Janette Rass
    replied
    Oh I am so sad to hear of his passing. He was an amazing compassionate man. His loss will be felt by those he touched and those who only read his work, never having met him. I remember the first time I read his article on pain management, I was moved to tears [many times]by his understanding and empathy of our situation. May his family find some measure of solice knowing they do not mourn alone. He will be missed.

Leave a comment:

• aleet7
    replied
    My prayers go out to Dr. Brookoff's family. I am so saddened by his passing. He will be greatly missed!

Aleet7

Leave a comment:

• Nonna
    replied
    He is gone but he will always be with us

I attended Dr. B's memorial service and burial this morning in Memphis and had a chance to express in person to his family how deeply he had touched so many of us, and to show the overwhelming appreciation that we felt for how they had sacrificed so much, while their father/son/husband devoted his life in the service of helping all those who suffer. In the rabbi's beautify service he described him as someone who was bigger than life, whose brilliance was guided by a great moral compass, one which he never lost sight of. He emphasized that few people have this ability to use their great intellectual gifts in service to the sick, the poor, or those in pain. He did all this at great peril to his own health. I could go on and on...the world will feel the loss of this great soul, and I, personally am saddened by what could have been. Nancy in Colorado

Leave a comment:

• SharonA
    replied
    I have been away for a few days and read of his passing today when I returned home to my computer. I as very sad to learn this news.

He was a true champion in the IC world. I consider it an honor that he called Memphis home as I do. I never needed his services, but always felt safe because I knew if I needed him, he would help me. I remember when I learned he had left his practice here and moved West. I was sad, but happy that he was still helping people who needed him.

RIP knowing that you are a hero to so many sufferers of chronic pain conditions and diseases. Thank you so much for everything you did to help those who came to you for that help. You are and will be missed greatly.

Leave a comment:

• sbilheimer
    replied
    Shaken by the news

Dr. Brookoff was an amazing, funny, passionate person, devoted to saving people's lives. Tragic that someone who has made such a difference is gone. We need heroes and strong advocates against the medical establishment and the public and Dr. Brookoff was truly a knight in shining armor for those suffering with IC. He will be dearly missed by many. Deep condolences to the doctor's family.

Leave a comment:

• fcombs
    replied
    A loss we haven't even begun to feel .... so sad

It's been a long time since I heard news as sad as losing Dr. Brookoff. And I fear that we haven't even begun to feel the impact that his loss will make on IC patients. Dr. Brookoff was my doctor and my friend. I only saw him once after he went to Denver because the cost of flying to Denver for treatment was so prohibitive. I began to see Dr. Doggweiler in Knoxville, and she and Dr. Brookoff were good friends, and she seemed very supportive of him and his methods and ideas.

I have written a tribute of my own to Dr. Daniel Brookoff based on my personal experiences with him. That tribute is at http://www.jmgwebdesigns.com/brookoff-tribute.htm.

I will definitely be lighting that candle today - I have thought of nothing but my memories of Dr. Brookoff since I received the news of his death. I miss him already - the world is a little less friendly without him.
    Dr. D

Leave a comment:

• SueC
    replied
    Prayers..............

prayers to all

Leave a comment:

• wolfaleena
    replied
    dr brookoff

although i never had the pleasure of meeting dr. Brookoff in person, I felt touched by his dedication and research, through the many articles that i read by him. I will be forever grateful for his idea of vaginal valium supp. that he so openly shared with many an ic patient via his online Q & A session. The transcripts from his devotion to helping IC patients will be forever there to assist patients in their treatment of this disease.
    If you are not familiar with his work.. just look up the transcripts and i guarantee that you will find much wisdom and empathy in his words...
    Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    I just read this in an email, I am so shocked and saddened. My Dr and I were just talking about him on the 6th. My Dr was telling me what a kind and generous man Dr Brookoff is or was.

My sympathy is with his family.

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    Wow, this is so very sad. Many Patients here seen him. hugs and prayers to his famil and friends.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X