Company To Develop IC Treatment Based Upon Keay's Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company To Develop IC Treatment Based Upon Keay's Research

Editors Note- This is a very INTERESTING development. Dr. Susan Keay's research and discovery of the APF may now lead to a new therapeutic approach to IC. We've been expecting an announcement like this for the past several years and, apparently, Acologix has now agreed to develop the therapy. Fascinating and, honestly, the more companies interested in IC the better! - Jill

ACOLOGIX LICENSES NOVEL TECHNOLOGY FOR TREATMENT
    OF INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS FROM UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE

HAYWARD, Calif. – September 6, 2006 – Acologix, Inc., a privately-held biopharmaceutical company, announced today that it has licensed technology from the University of Maryland, Baltimore, for the potential treatment of interstitial cystitis (IC). A chronic bladder condition characterized by serious pain and increased frequency of urination, interstitial cystitis affects an estimated 700,000 Americans, of whom approximately 90 percent are women. To date, there are no satisfactory treatments for this condition.

Acologix’ license includes patents related to Heparin Binding Epidermal Growth Factor-like Growth Factor (HB-EGF) and therapies targeting a novel human peptide known as anti-proliferative factor (APF). Research led by Susan Keay, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at the Baltimore VA Hospital and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, has demonstrated the potential of HB-EGF and APF in the development of a novel interstitial cystitis therapy. Acologix will sponsor continuing research and development efforts at the Baltimore VA and the University of Maryland, Baltimore.

“Based on the ability of HB-EGF to normalize the physiology of bladder cells from IC patients, we believe it may represent a new way to treat interstitial cystitis,” said Dr. Keay.

David Rosen, Ph.D., Senior Vice President of Research and Development at Acologix added, “Dr. Keay is a recognized leader in her field. We look forward to building on her research as we collaborate to develop a novel therapeutic for this debilitating condition.”

About Acologix, Inc.

Acologix, a privately held biopharmaceutical company, is developing and commercializing innovative biopharmaceuticals targeting osteo-renal diseases, including chronic kidney disease, renal osteodystrophy, bone repair and regeneration, periodontal disease, general dentistry and oral care. Acologix is partnering with Toray Industries, Inc. of Japan on the development and commercialization of AC-820 (or TRK-820) for the treatment of uremic pruritus in dialysis patients. AC-820 is being studied in a European Phase 3 pivotal clinical trial, with a Phase 3 trial planned to launch in the United States. AC-100 (Dentonin®), a novel small peptide with dental, periodontal and orthopedic applications, has been studied in two recently concluded Phase 2 clinical studies, one in dental restoration procedures and another for the repair of periodontal defects, and further studies are planned. Acologix is also developing AC-200 (Phosphatonin) to treat hyperphosphatemia and subsequent clinical problems associated with chronic kidney disease. For more information go to www.acologix.com.

This press release contains “forward-looking” statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which may cause results to differ materially from those set forth in the statements. The forward-looking statements include statements regarding product development and cannot be guaranteed. Acologix undertakes no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise. Forward-looking statements in this press release should be evaluated together with the many uncertainties that affect Acologix’ business.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Woo hoo! It's about time someone paid attention to this research and tried to look into a treatment based on it!

Thanks for posting this, Jill, this gives me more hope than just about anything I've read lately!

Blessings,
    Lori

Comment

VERY exciting!
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I do hope they keep searching for possibilities of what might be causing IC.
        Thank God they are not giving up on it.

Hug, Trishann

Comment

Thanks God!

I NEW IT THAT GOD IS WITH US!!

:woohoo:
          :woohoo:

Comment

Finally, they are going to develop a treatment based on the anti-proliferative factor we've all been hearing about for so long!

Chronic conditions: IC, bipolar disorder, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome, Raynaud's disease, bile reflux, scoliosis
            Current IC treatments: menstrual suppression
            Daily treatments for other conditions: Neurontin, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Modafinil
            As-needed treatments for other conditions: Klonopin, Ambien

Comment

Definitely good news.

Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Good news!!:woohoo:

Comment

wow, how long does it take from licensing to available to us?

Exciting stuff!
                  IC diagnosis: Aug 2005
                  Symptoms: Urgency, urge and irritation and urethral symptoms
                  Flareup for 1 year til July 2007 (had constant urge and pain et al....)

Elmiron 100mg 3x daily April 2006 - present
                  Enablex 7.5mg nightly Sep 2007 -present
                  Atarax, Elavil 10mg nightly (Dec 2007)
                  Acupuncture - November 2007 - present

(Past meds for IC- Cystistat, Elavil 30mg, Ditropan, long term a/bs, Prednisolone, Cimetidine, Neurontin)

Comment

Wow that's good news.Even though its very early Would it be a pill or something like DMSO?

Comment

I pray it is soon, because they've been telling us that they are close to developing new treatments since the 90's and they've come up with nothing so far. I'm desperately hoping that they come up with a new effective treatment soon because I'm so close to giving up.

Marsi4

Comment

Thanks Jill for posting this.I don't know if I would have been aware of this, had you not posted this news release.. thanks!
                        I was a part of the University of MD study and i did test positive for the APF (anti-proliferation factor) in my urine. That was at least 6 or 7 years ago. I kept wondering if anyone was going to do anything with this data.
                        I met Dr. Susan Key during the initial interview for the study and she was a fascinating person. I am just wondering how long it will take now. Patience is a virtue???

Comment

Maris4:
                          Don't give up, honey!
                          Believe me, I understand how you feel ....Believe me.... Don't give up hope!

Comment

Hello

Wolfalena Do You Think That This Happens Very Soon?? The New Treatment, How Many Years?

Comment

This is GREAT news. Someone is paying us serious attention. Also, never give up hope. Someday, our daughters and friends will have cures for this awful disease and our suffering won't be for nothing!
                              Was diagnosed with IC in 1993 after extensive endometriosis and total hysterectomy.
                              MEDS: Attarax, Zantac, Zanaflex, Oxycontin, Lortab, Urimax and daily instillations of Lidocaine, sodium bicarbinate and heparin (lifesavers)
                              Have used Elmiron & Elavil w/o any improvement

Now have a possible dx of fibromyalgia. Working on confirming that or hopefully ruling it out

Comment

Working...
                              X