Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wolfaleena
    replied
    hi thanks for your kind words .. and yes, i am having a hard time healing after this bladder infection. thank you for your input, at least i am not the only one that has had a hard time after a bladder infection. i have felt so awful for weeks now.
    actually you are right there has been a lot more research going on now more than ever and i do feel hopeful too.. it is just difficult like you said when you are trying to heal after a bladder infection and your bladder is already so messed up. it is like you almost can't heal...because the bladder doesn't have the capacity to heal. oh well, i just have to carry on. what is the alternative, not very attrative.. i just feel so badly for my husband, he is alone a lot of the time because i am in bed and he worries so much.

Leave a comment:

• jvr
    replied
    Hi,

It just said that they were awarded a sum of money to evaluate the efficacy of a new therapy for IC. It's on the ICA webiste. Just go the the research category and you will see the announcement. I would post the link, but I'm terrible at all this computer business. You can also go to the Celek Pharmaceuticals webiste and see some info there too. No wonder you're suffering so much right now...a bladder infection with IC is no fun. That has been some of the most painful episodes with my IC when my bladder is trying to heal after an infection.
    I understand what you're saying about everything moving at a snail's pace. Oddly though, I feel more hopeful than ever about the future of IC. I do think better treatments will come to be, but when your feeling bad, I know they can't come soon enough
    Jill

Leave a comment:

• wolfaleena
    replied
    hi jill do you remember what it said. this is so crazy that everything is moving a such a snail's pace. if someone really wealthy and famous had the disease in it severe form they might be rushing to find a cure
    maybe just because i feel particularly down today i am saying that. i had a bladder infection a few weeks ago in addition to ic and have been suffering terribly and also had a yeast infection. my vulva is irritated and sore and hurts and it has been going on for a few weeks now. all i have been doing is staying in bed. i feel like life is just passing me by.. i keep trying to get up, but i don't feel well at all!

Leave a comment:

• jvr
    replied
    Hi,

Does anyone know what ever happened to this company creating a treatment based on Dr. Keay's research on APF? I see it was almost 3-4 years ago and I don't see any mention of anything on their website and havent' heard anything further since....
    I did see a few days ago on the ICA webiste an announcement that another company named Celek Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Dr. Keay were "awarded $159,500 to evaulate the efficacy of a new therapy for IC." This sounds exciting...

Jill

Leave a comment:

• mcdoll
    replied
    You know what, I'm not sure if it was this treatment that wasn't working. I read so many things. It might have been something else. I still have a nagging feeling there was some study done which didn't work related to this, but maybe they're trying other ways.

Leave a comment:

• mcdoll
    replied
    I think I read somewhere that this treatment didn't end up working.

Leave a comment:

• Tanguera
    replied
    So, what's the latest?

This is very interesting news, although the article in the original post dates back to Sept. 2006 - I wonder what's been happening this past year and a half? I wonder if there is a good resource where the public can access information on the most recent scientific studies and developments for IC?

I checked out the above link to the 2007 study concerning the association between markers and symptoms (thanks for sharing!). It's really a very brief summary that doesn't go into much detail, but it sounds like the results suggested that significant improvements in APF and HBEGF didn't correlate to improved symptoms. I'm left wondering, how long after the distensions were the patients' symptoms re-evaluated? Was it enough time to allow the bladder linings to actually heal? Maybe it's a matter of the length of time you can keep these chemical markers at bay, to allow the tissues to regrow. Or, if tissue regrowth doesn't improve symptoms, maybe this suggests that IC is more of a neurological disorder than a physiological one?

I'd like to stay on top of the latest developments on this front, and I hope it gains momentum - seems like there could potentially be hundreds of thousands of patients willing to pay almost anything for a solidly successful IC treatment, which I would think should tempt research institutions and pharmaceutical companies to invest in it!

Leave a comment:

• mayray
    replied
    Yes Dr. Chai is a urologist at the University of Maryland who practices with Dr. Keay.

Leave a comment:

• wolfaleena
    replied
    Mayray

Is dr. Chai a urologist?

Leave a comment:

• mayray
    replied
    question

i went to the acologix website and clicked on the info e mail for information and it came back saying "no such e mail"

Leave a comment:

• mayray
    replied
    Thank God

I live in Maryland and have been to the U of MD research center. I see Dr. Chai but all of the docs, Warren and Keay, are excellent. I have been in remission for 8 years due to elavil but I do carry the APF factor and this new development is very interesting. The difference between it being approved in other countries and FDA approval can be years. I would be very interested in trying this when and if it is approved.

Leave a comment:

• ouch_a_lot
    replied
    Any update to this thread?

No news on the website for a while....

Leave a comment:

• Elvis70
    replied
    Sorry this is the link to patent that applies to IC patients

http://www.wipo.int/patentscopedb/en...G&DISPLAY=DESC

Leave a comment:

• Elvis70
    replied
    Here is the link to the patent for APF technology

http://www.wipo.int/patentscopedb/en...AND+IN%2fK%29+

Leave a comment:

• sweetangel2080
    replied
    what is the news with this research?
    earlier on this year a company had planned to develop medication didn't they?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X