AUA 2007 - High Doses of Zinc Increase Risk of Urinary Complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUA 2007 - High Doses of Zinc Increase Risk of Urinary Complications

This week, the annual American Urological Association Conference is occurring. Though their coverage of IC is minimal this year (likely due to the BIG federal conference six months ago), they do have some fascinating new research studies that I'll share with you!

-------
    High-Dose Zinc Increases Hospital Admissions Due to Genitourinary Complications

Aaron Johnson, MD, Alejandro Munoz, PhD, Justin Gottlieb, MD, David F Jarrard, MD. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI

Presented on May 19 2007

Introduction and Objective: Zinc is a common dietary supplement that is widely believed to have beneficial health effects. To assess the impact of high-dose supplemental zinc on genitourinary diseases, we analyzed a recent randomized trial comparing zinc, antioxidants, and their combination, to placebo for complications related to the genitourinary tract.

Methods:
    In a further analysis of the recent Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS), we examined the data pool for primary ICD-9 codes given for hospital admissions related to urologic problems. AREDS randomized 3640 patients with age-related macular degeneration to one of four study arms [placebo; antioxidants (vitamin C, 500 mg; vitamin E, 400 IU, beta carotene 15 mg); zinc 80 mg; and antioxidant + zinc]. Statistical analyses using Fisher’s exact test were performed.

Results: We find a significant increase in hospital admissions due to genitourinary causes for patients taking zinc formulations compared to non-zinc formulations (11.1% vs 7.6%; p=0.0003). The risk was greatest for male patients (p=0.008; RR=1.26, 95%CI: 1.07-1.50). For the study group requiring admission (n=343), the most common primary ICD-9 codes included benign prostatic hyperplasia/urinary retention (BPH), urinary tract infection, urinary lithiasis, and renal failure. Comparing zinc to placebo, significant increases in urinary tract infections (p=0.004) were found, especially for females (2.3% vs. 0.4%, p=0.013; RR=5.77, 95%CI: 1.30-25.66). Admissions for urinary lithiasis approached significance in men taking zinc compared to placebo (2.0% vs 0.5%; p=0.061; RR=4.08, 95%CI: 0.87-19.10). There was no increase in prostate or other cancers with zinc supplementation. A significant decrease in prostate cancer diagnoses was seen in patients taking antioxidants when compared to placebo (p=0.049; RR=0.6, 95%CI: 0.49-0.86). Subgroup analysis reveals this finding was significant for men who smoked, but not in non-smokers.

Conclusions: Zinc supplementation at high levels results in increased hospitalizations for urinary complications compared to placebo. These data support the hypothesis that high-dose zinc supplementation has a negative effect on selected aspects of urinary physiology.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

How much zinc is considered a high dose? I take it every day..50 mg..fro some hair loss due to Elmiron and hypothrodism.

Thanks,
    Carly
    chronic UTI's starting in early 20's
    Hysterectomy because of endometriosis and fibroids in 2002
    First visit to a urologist in 2004

Diagnosed with IC in June 2007
    Also:
    IBS
    High blood pressure,
    Generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD
    Hypothyrodism
    Migraines.
    Scar tissue/adhesions in kidney.
    Knee pain and arthroscopic surgery

Meds: Vistaril for IC
    Pyridum
    Levoxyl- Thyroid med
    Lisinopril-for high blood pressure
    Librium for anxiety
    Estradiol hormone patch
    Inderal for headaches..
    Bentyl as neeeded for IBS
    Neurontin

Comment

I would like to know as well. I take Zinc for my hairloss.

Tracey

Comment

Some response and further details on the Zinc would be good, like the dosage that's considered high, surprised that wasn't included in above report.

I take Zinc everyday at 25mg

Comment

Did anyone ever find out how much zinc is bad?

Also:
          IBS
          High blood pressure,
          Hypothyrodism
          Migraines.

Pyridum
          Levoxyl- Thyroid med
          Librium for anxiety
          Estradiol hormone patch
          Inderal for headaches..
          Neurontin

Comment

Nope. Just that Zinc is bad....a report without good informatoin, I've just ignored this.

Plus, I think 25mg to 50mg everyday isn't considered high.

Comment

The Patient Handbook has a section showing daily requirements for the various minerals --- if you go to http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/vitamins.html#zinc you will find that only 11 mg is needed for a female and 8 mg for a male.

So yes, 25 to 50 milligrams would be considered very high.

Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I looked at the website. It also states, "Intakes of 150 to 450 mg of zinc per day have been associated with low copper status, altered iron function, reduced immune function, and reduced levels of high-density lipoproteins (the good cholesterol)."
                http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html

"The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for safety and health is 40 milligrams per day for adults."
                "The U.S. RDA for zinc is 15 milligrams per day."

Because, our diet has to be customized I think most of us, don't get the correct intake of zinc. I know I don't and my nurse recommended 25mg of Zinc everyday.
                Perhaps 50mg is higher than the tolerable level but it's not too high according to the website, you've pasted and others.

But, then again, the main question was, how much is too high according to the AUA 2007 meeting. We all know the previous studies and what they stated. What was needed was the new figure that's considered high enough to cause urinary complications.

Vampireness

Comment

The second quote was from there:
                  http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5560.html

What happened to the edit feature?....

Comment

Originally posted by Vampireness View Post
                    Nope. Just that Zinc is bad....a report without good informatoin, I've just ignored this.

Plus, I think 25mg to 50mg everyday isn't considered high.

I think you have the right idea..I will ignore too. yeah, i don't think we are taking a high dose. I'm just sensitive to everything I take, it seems like so..more info would have been better and more responsible.

Also:
                    IBS
                    High blood pressure,
                    Hypothyrodism
                    Migraines.

Pyridum
                    Levoxyl- Thyroid med
                    Librium for anxiety
                    Estradiol hormone patch
                    Inderal for headaches..
                    Neurontin

Comment

Where IS the edit feature? I also only saw your reply and not the one with Donna telling about the dosage. But then..we still don't know, as you said, what would cause urinary problems.

Also:
                      IBS
                      High blood pressure,
                      Hypothyrodism
                      Migraines.

Pyridum
                      Levoxyl- Thyroid med
                      Librium for anxiety
                      Estradiol hormone patch
                      Inderal for headaches..
                      Neurontin

Comment

Yeah Carly, it doesn't make sense to just state out of nowhere, it's too high and not tell us how much lol

Plus 50mg is not TOO much according to those studies, enough to cause health risks.

I wish Jill would update us on how much is too much.

But, yeah alots of us are sensitive just like Vitamin C and some can take it and some can't etc same with Marshmallow Root and it's what works best for ya.

I see that you had UTIs since 20, have they subsided?

Comment

Oh yeah, I think the edit feature is removed in this thread......it seems to work in the other thread. Maybe, because it's an announce thread? I haven't checked. But, what a wonderful feature edit button was, so I don't have to post again to add/correct things I've said. Like this now lol

Comment

LOL I love edit.. As for my UTI's..well no they haven't. But I hadn't had one in a long time..since my kidney stone and just last week, i had a nasty one. It made me flare, of course and it felt like i had crushed glass in my bladder. Ahhh life is good..lol

I love your pic of the 'prisoner in your own body". Good pic and so apt for me, too.

Also:
                            IBS
                            High blood pressure,
                            Hypothyrodism
                            Migraines.

Pyridum
                            Levoxyl- Thyroid med
                            Librium for anxiety
                            Estradiol hormone patch
                            Inderal for headaches..
                            Neurontin

Comment

Yayyy you're the first one to notice what I was trying to show from this picture, I know quite alot of can relate, when I saw this it just spoke for me.

Aww, I'm sorry about the stone, how are doing now?
                              How many stones have you had? What treatment you on? I think I'm going to go nuts without the edit feature.

I spelled informatoin above, sounded like I'm french or something and that's when I searched for the edit feature lol

Comment

Working...
                              X