Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AUA 2007 - Green Tea EXTRACTS May Protect Bladder From Becoming Inflamed - CAUTION!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUA 2007 - Green Tea EXTRACTS May Protect Bladder From Becoming Inflamed - CAUTION!

(Folks.... It's very important that we not overinterpret this study. It does NOT say that green tea can help IC. In fact, green tea, due to its high acid load, can be devastating to an IC bladder. But, if it proves that a specific component of green might help, than this is good news. However, it will still have to be placed into a low acid formulation to be appropriate for us. Please DO NOT start drinking green tea because of this study! It is VERY preliminary

ANAHEIM, Calif., May 20, 2007 — Herbal agents could be used to treat inflammatory bladder diseases, according to a preliminary study that looked at the ability of green tea to protect bladder cells from inflammation. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine study, being presented at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA) in Anaheim, Calif., found that components of green tea protected bladder cells from damage in culture. Thestudy is Abstract 299 in the AUA proceedings.

Green tea, reported to have many health benefits, is rich in powerful antioxidants that make it a possible remedy for many medical conditions. It is comprised of catechins – plant metabolites that provide it with many anti-oxidative properties.

“We discovered that catechins found in green tea protected both normal and cancerous bladder cells from inflammation when we exposed the cells to hydrogen peroxide,” said Michael B. Chancellor, M.D., professor of urology and gynecology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. “Although further studies are needed, these results indicate herbal supplements from green tea could be a treatment option for various bladder conditions that are caused by injury or inflammation.”

In the study, normal and cancerous bladder cells were exposed to two major catechin components of green tea, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG), for 23 hours. Both significantly protected cell lines from exposure to hydrogen peroxide, which damages or kills cells. The concentrations of EGCG and ECG used in the study were at levels that may be achieved through dietary intake.

Approximately ten million American adults have problems controlling their bladders. Bladder disease affects both men and women and can include incontinence or interstitial cystitis, a chronic inflammatory condition that causes frequent, urgent and painful urination and pelvic discomfort.
    Co-investigators of the study include Shelby Morrisroe, M.D., Christian Coyle, Ph.D., Brian Phillips, Ph.D., William de Groat, Ph.D., and Naoki Yoshimura, M.D., Ph.D., all with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. The study is funded by the Fishbein Family CURE-IC Program.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Hello, I have the Interstim Device implanted and it improved my IC by about 30%. I did not know that green tea has alot of acid. I drink 3 to 4 bottles of Tazo Organic Iced Green Tea every day for the past 3 months and I lost 15 pounds and I pee about 5% less than before. I would love to know the acid content of this tea because this is the only thing I can drink without issues.

Comment

I have been drinking a cup of Long Life Organic Decaf Green Tea every day for a year at least. I didnt notice any problems with it, although the regular tea with caffeine is an issue. I think the water process that decaffeinates the tea takes out a lot of the acid. I drank it with raw honey as a sweetener.
      Regular tea, though, even decaffeinated many times causes a problem.

Comment

I had no idea green tea was highly acidic! I bought some in decaf, drank a few cups, didn't notice a flare, but then did some researched & realized it probably isn't the best choice while pregnant.

Chamomile w/ honey was always very soothing for me, but again, I read that it can cause mild uterine contractions.

This is a very interesting study, but yes, I agree we should always be cautious. Please post any updates to this article.

Does anyone know where to find the acid content of different teas? Oh how I love tea!
        Laura (30)
        Diagnosed: IC ('01), IBS ('01), Endo ('03), history of kidney stones (since '98)

Mom of two girls, the 2nd after IVF - just turned one on 5/12/09
        Went into full remission w/ 1st preg., but did not w/ the 2nd

Still nursing, so meds are not much of an option - just Benadryl

Comment

The whole concept of acid foods and what produces an acid environment in the bladder is pretty confusing. If you just look at the three categories on the IC diet there are some alkaline foods like tofu on the problematic list. I did read somewhere that certain foods that are not acidic can still act to increase acidity in the bladder. And wow, there are clearly lots of different kinds of irritants out there.

Okay, so perhaps someone with more Chemistry than I have (virtually none) can help with this idea: I know online you can get a kit for testing PH in urine. I haven't read anything on these boards indicating that's a useful thing to do. I suppose determining what foods your bladder dislikes is the main thing, but it would be interesting to see which foods actually produce more acidic urine.

And....is it possible to use the same PH urine kit to test for acidity in any other liquids? Like green tea, for instance?

Comment

ph strips used for urine and saliva wont work in beverages. You need the type of strips used to test acidity of swimming pools.

Comment

what if we were to apply alkanizing drops to decaf green tea? Or is there a way to get just the extracts mentioned in the article, the catechins EGCG and ECG? Just a thought.

Comment

I find Long Life brand Decaf Green Tea to be OK for my bladder. I think its worth a shot to try this brand and see if it irritates you. Its organic and has a gentle taste.

Comment

Green Tea

Hi,

I have a friend that started drinking green tea in a bottle, not the home brewed. Her liver enzymes got al screwed up, almost needing a liver transplant. She was in the hospital for weeks. They found out that it was an overload of green tea., after not drinking it for weeks her liver started doing better. It has now been weeks and she is doing alot better. The doctors all concluded it was the bottled green tea and that people should only drink home brewed because of the chemical reaction or something. She can not even have it in anything. If you read labels it is in alot of hand creams and shower gels. Things you would never expect. The doctor used to drink green tea all the time also from a bottle and now non of the hospital staff does. Just wanted to let people know that the home brewed is the best for you.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                  X