Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APF News: Patent Pending for New Diagnostic Test

Breaking News - New Urine Test for Awaiting Patent

Based upon the research of Susan Keay (Univ. of Maryland) who discovered the Antiproliferative Factor (APF) in the urine of IC patients, a new method for diagnosing IC may be soon available. Led by Sonia L. Planey, Asst. Professor of Biochemistry at The Commonwealth Medical College, the APF biomarker can be detected in as little as 30 minutes with a simple urine sample and at a much lower cost to patients. Best of all, it may eliminate the need for more invasive procedures such as hydrodistention. A provisional patent is pending for their findings: Cell-Based Detection of APF for Diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis.

We do not know when this will be available for general use. Further research is still being conducted to test for its accuracy and effectiveness. Dr. Planey will be working with OB/Gyn physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania to conduct that testing.

--------------
    The Commonwealth Medical College Awaits Approval of Breakthrough Medical Patent

The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) recently submitted its first medical research patent pending with the United States Patent and Trade Organization (USPTO). This accomplishment, only two months since the College received Preliminary Accreditation, demonstrates the College’s commitment to advancing medical research with innovations and solutions that will address the specific healthcare needs of Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Sonia L. Planey, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry in the Basic Sciences Department at The Commonwealth Medical College is the principal investigator (PI) of the research group that has developed a new method for diagnosing Interstitial Cystitis (IC), a chronic inflammatory condition that occurs along the wall of the bladder. This painful syndrome affects in 1 in 500 people (mainly young and middle-aged women). Current tests are properly diagnosing less than 75% of cases.

“This is an enormous undertaking and accomplishment for one of the newest, private, independent medical schools in the country,” stated Robert D’Alessandri, MD, President and Founding Dean of The Commonwealth Medical College. “To accomplish this so early in our history is testament to the advanced research capabilities and expertise of our nationally recognized researchers right here in Northeast Pennsylvania,” he added.

Dr. Planey and her research group have developed a test that can detect a small biomolecule in urine that is uniquely associated with Interstitial Cystitis (IC), which is a painful inflammation along the wall of the bladder. This biomarker can be detected in as little as 30 minutes at a much lower cost to patients with no invasive procedures. A provisional patent is pending for their findings: Cell-Based Detection of APF for Diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis. Dr. Planey will be working with OB/Gyn physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania to determine the overall accuracy and effectiveness of the test in identifying patients with IC.

“By providing a new, safe and cost-efficient way for physicians to diagnose and treat this painful condition, we will improve the way healthcare is delivered in this region,” said Dr. Planey.

Background Information: Dr. Planey’s research focuses on palmitolyation, signal transduction and cancer biology. The primary focus of her research is on the signaling networks under the control of the ZDHHC2 gene that are important to cancer and bladder disease.

For a complete description of Dr. Planey’s research specialty and description, go to Http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/Planey.

The Commonwealth Medical College is a new medical college opening in August 2009 and expects to accept sixty medical students and thirty Masters of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) students. The College has campuses in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport and currently has over 113 full time employees and over 557 clinical faculty members. For the academic years of 2009 and 2010, students will use temporary facilities on the Lackawanna College campus. The Commonwealth Medical College is dedicated to training the next generation of physicians in a community-based model. Focusing on selecting students with a propensity for community service, the school’s unique structure is designed to provide these students with diverse clinical experiences from the very first day of their education.

The Commonwealth Medical College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM. Reason: Removed copyrighted text and added an ICN summary instead. Thanks for posting this LeeLee. Just want to avoid any conflicts.
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I think this is GREAT news!! This would be very beneficial for people who are worried about getting the Cysto/hydro done..This would give them another option for a diagnoses..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Definitely something to cheer about!

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Why wouldn't Susan Keay register for a patent since she discovered this? She spoke to our local support group and was so knowledgeable about IC.

Comment

I read about this awhile ago, and have been waiting to hear about further research. This is such wonderful news!

Comment

Isn't this awesome...? Wow.
            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

this is great news!

This test might also allow for earlier diagnosis of IC--before symptoms become advanced. Does anyone know if there is any research being done into APF-associated treatments? I know this is simplistic, but isn't it logical that if APF is present in IC patients, that researchers should be able to find a way to inhibit its expression? Kind of like non-proliferation of anti-proliferative factor?
              Symptoms
              constant feeling of having to pee but not really having to
              mild burning in tailbone area
              occasional clitoral pain

History
              Occasional UTIs over the years
              back surgery for herniated disc '99
              diagnosed with "trigonitis" 2005--symptoms resolved within a month
              Current symptom onset November, 2008

Other conditions
              Severe anxiety/depression

Current Treatments
              Elmiron
              Clonazepam
              IC Diet

What Helps
              Clonazepam
              Warm bath/shower
              Massage from BF
              Lying on my back on the floor
              Thinking that buying a dog would definitely help!

Comment

Thank you for sharing this. I hope it becomes standard practice asap!!!

Originally posted by leelee88 View Post
                APF News: Patent Pending for New Diagnostic Test
                A urine test to diagnose IC by has been developed by Sonia L. Planey, PhD, and her team at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

The new, patent-pending test detects the presence of antiproliferative factor (APF), the urinary marker unique to IC patients discovered by Susan Keay MD, PhD, and her research team at University of Maryland. The test is said to take as little as 30 minutes and will be easier and less costly for patients than invasive cystoscopy with hydrodistention, often used to help diagnose IC. The Commonwealth Medical College team plans to assess the accuracy and effectiveness of the test in patients. Dr. Planey is Assistant Professor of Biochemistry in the Basic Sciences Department at this newly formed medical college.

Posted July 24, 2009

The Commonwealth Medical College Awaits Approval of Breakthrough Medical Patent

The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) recently submitted its first medical research patent pending with the United States Patent and Trade Organization (USPTO). This accomplishment, only two months since the College received Preliminary Accreditation, demonstrates the College’s commitment to advancing medical research with innovations and solutions that will address the specific healthcare needs of Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Sonia L. Planey, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry in the Basic Sciences Department at The Commonwealth Medical College is the principal investigator (PI) of the research group that has developed a new method for diagnosing Interstitial Cystitis (IC), a chronic inflammatory condition that occurs along the wall of the bladder. This painful syndrome affects in 1 in 500 people (mainly young and middle-aged women). Current tests are properly diagnosing less than 75% of cases.

“This is an enormous undertaking and accomplishment for one of the newest, private, independent medical schools in the country,” stated Robert D’Alessandri, MD, President and Founding Dean of The Commonwealth Medical College. “To accomplish this so early in our history is testament to the advanced research capabilities and expertise of our nationally recognized researchers right here in Northeast Pennsylvania,” he added.

Dr. Planey and her research group have developed a test that can detect a small biomolecule in urine that is uniquely associated with Interstitial Cystitis (IC), which is a painful inflammation along the wall of the bladder. This biomarker can be detected in as little as 30 minutes at a much lower cost to patients with no invasive procedures. A provisional patent is pending for their findings: Cell-Based Detection of APF for Diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis. Dr. Planey will be working with OB/Gyn physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania to determine the overall accuracy and effectiveness of the test in identifying patients with IC.

“By providing a new, safe and cost-efficient way for physicians to diagnose and treat this painful condition, we will improve the way healthcare is delivered in this region,” said Dr. Planey.

Background Information: Dr. Planey’s research focuses on palmitolyation, signal transduction and cancer biology. The primary focus of her research is on the signaling networks under the control of the ZDHHC2 gene that are important to cancer and bladder disease.

For a complete description of Dr. Planey’s research specialty and description, go to Http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/Planey.

The Commonwealth Medical College is a new medical college opening in August 2009 and expects to accept sixty medical students and thirty Masters of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) students. The College has campuses in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport and currently has over 113 full time employees and over 557 clinical faculty members. For the academic years of 2009 and 2010, students will use temporary facilities on the Lackawanna College campus. The Commonwealth Medical College is dedicated to training the next generation of physicians in a community-based model. Focusing on selecting students with a propensity for community service, the school’s unique structure is designed to provide these students with diverse clinical experiences from the very first day of their education.

The Commonwealth Medical College is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).

Comment

Yay! It would be such a Godsend for IC'ers worried about their children.
                  Karin
                  I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.
                  Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009
                  Currently in remission
                  Other Medications: Vitamin D3, pristiq, abilify, wellbutrin, Lipitor, propranolol (for tremor)
                  Other Autoimmune: IBS

Comment

Finally some encouraging research news that is going forward in development. This test will be a good tool to rule out other diseases that mimic IC.

Comment

I have read about this and it does seem to be a Godsend. I just wish it would not take so long to get it into action. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for this information. Hug, Ziggy

Comment

As an undiagnosed yet suspected ICer, this makes me so happy... now if only I could find out where to get this test done.... :S

Comment

Chellard I believe it is still in the research mode plus patent pending tells me it will be awhile before one can get this test done. I understand that they have to be careful but it is so flustering having to wait from start to using. Since it is only a test not medicine I'm thinking the patent pending part is what is slowing it down. I guess because of the cost of the research they want to make sure they will make money before it is used by the average person. Just my thoughts, I'm sure no expert. The glasss is half full as it makes me feel good research is being done to help us. We have much hope. Hugs, Ziggy

Comment

Originally posted by chellard View Post
                            As an undiagnosed yet suspected ICer, this makes me so happy... now if only I could find out where to get this test done.... :S
                            Me, too! I am absolutely terrified of going to the doctor for anything. I mean, I get SO nervous even when I've just had to go for something very small like strep throat a few years ago. Now, having to deal with the thought of all of these tests is NOT making me happy at all. Being able to do a simple urine test would be great. I really wish they'd get everything figured out soon so that everyone could be tested for IC without having to go through so many tests.

-Started having symptoms in May 2009.

-Doing pretty well on diet alone.

Comment

Well I live in Scranton (the location of the med school she researches for) and just emailed her asking if I could be part of any future studies b/c physicians truly have been at odds as to whether my symptoms are due to prolapse or IC...I will let you all know when I hear back from her. How awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X