Vitamin D May Help Prevent Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D May Help Prevent Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Vitamin D and pelvic floor disorders in women: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
    Badalian SS, Rosenbaum PF.

OBJECTIVE: To estimate the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in women with pelvic floor disorders and to evaluate possible associations between vitamin D levels and pelvic floor disorders.

METHODS: Using 2005-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data, we performed a cross-sectional analysis of nonpregnant women older than 20 years of age with data on both pelvic floor disorders and vitamin D measurements (n=1,881). Vitamin D levels lower than 30 ng/mL were considered insufficient. The prevalence of demographic factors, pelvic floor disorders, and vitamin D levels were determined, accounting for the multi-stage sampling design; odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) were calculated to evaluate associations between vitamin D levels and pelvic floor disorders with control for known risk factors.

RESULTS: One or more pelvic floor disorders were reported by 23% of women. Mean vitamin D levels were significantly lower for women reporting at least one pelvic floor disorder and for those with urinary incontinence, irrespective of age. In adjusted logistic regression models, we observed significantly decreased risks of one or more pelvic floor disorders with increasing vitamin D levels in all women aged 20 or older (OR, 0.94; 95% CI, 0.88-0.99) and in the subset of women 50 years and older (OR, 0.92; 95% CI, 0.85-0.99). Additionally, the likelihood of urinary incontinence was significantly reduced in women 50 and older with vitamin D levels 30 ng/mL or higher (OR, 0.55; 95% CI, 0.34-0.91).

CONCLUSION: Higher vitamin D levels are associated with a decreased risk of pelvic floor disorders in women. LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: III.

Source: Badalian SS, Rosenbaum PF Vitamin D and pelvic floor disorders in women: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Apr;115(4):795-803.

PMID: 20308841 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 06-12-2010, 08:53 AM.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

thanksfor posting this. I was actually reading this the other day and it was very interesting. Especially since my vitamin D is so low.

Comment

VERY interesting. I am 52 and have IC (frequency/urgency) and have been on Elmiron the last 1.5 years. As a fluke, my OB/GYN just happened to run a Vit. D test. YEP...the number was 24 ng/mL. I get plenty of sun....so now taking 4,000 units of Vit D. Will see how my IC likes that....but find this very interesting as my little knowledge of Vit D besides helping to absorb calcium is to reduce inflammation. Hmmmm...I know correlation is not causation, but does make me give pause....

Comment

I've been taking a calcium/vit. D supplement from Desert Harvest for over a month now, along w/their aloe vera capsules. I've had quite a bit of improvement, both with burning and pelvic floor pain/bladder spasms. The calcium/vit.D is supposed to work like Prelief, in that it takes the acid out of food, so I take one (500mg calcium/200IU vit.D) at each meal and before bed. It's interesting to hear that the vit.D may help w/pelvic pain. I'm only now beginning to learn the difference between burning pain inside my bladder and the pelvic/abdominal/outside the bladder pain. I really appreciate all this great info...

Comment

IC / Vit D

I have a low Vit D level (17). Found out after diagnosed as MS-CIS. Been taking 2400 IU daily of Vit D and Vit D + Calcium and will have another test of my levels soon. My two biggest IC flares were both in the last few months, after starting the Vit D supplements. I should say "suspected" IC flares because I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but the doctor is fairly certain. More tests in the future.

Vitamin D is important for people with MS, Fibromyalgia, etc. It's not surprising to me that it could be important to people with IC as well.

Thank you for pointing out the article.
          Colleen

* ITP - autoimmune blood disorder - spleen removed 1978 and in remission since
          * MS- diagnosed Jan-2010
          * IC - confirmed by cysto and hydro Nov-2010 - currently taking no medication
          * possible adenomyosis - suspected by urogyno May-2010
          * low Vitamin D levels - taking 2000 IU daily
          * sleep issues - 1/2 alprazolam

Comment

thank you Jill, You are the best

Comment

My rheumatologist did check my VitD level & it was normal. Hmmmm...very interesting info. Thanks Jill! I think I will ask to have it tested yearly.

Comment

I have been tested with low Vitamin D levels and was diagnosed several years ago with IC, and now this year confirmed diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I have a family history of Lou Gherig's disease and Parkinson's, as well as Diabetes, all of which have been linked, officially or unofficially, to low Vit. D levels.

Every summer when the sun comes out regularly my symptoms improve. My high blood pressure is under control, inflammation throughout my body resolves, and my pain becomes completely manageable. This year the sun was late in arriving and my symptoms were not resolving. Then I went to East. Washington and it was hot and sunny and dry, and my symptoms almost entirely resolved themselves. My incontinence disappeared and my tender points all but disappeared.

It seems to me that ever since the sunscreen companies convinced everyone to be terrified of a disease that has extremely low death rates every year, skin cancer, diseases that have much higher death rates, heart disease, breast cancer, prostate cancer, etc...etc... have multiplied exponentially. It's criminal in my opinion and now they're even convincing people that they need 100+ SPF. Scientists say that no one should use over SPF 15, and should get at minimum 15 min. of non-sunscreen exposure daily. This is probably very conservative, and while they say you can take supplements, they state it is far preferable to use the good old sun to fix the problem.
                http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Please be very careful with vitamin D. Two years ago I started taking it and developed kidney stones. The trauma from the kidney stones caused my IC. Please drink lots of water and keep the oxyilates very low. Kidney stones are comprised of calcium and oxilate.

Comment

vit d

My Natural Path who is also a Pharmacist has got me on 2000 iu of vit D in winter months and 1000 April to Oct. I for one use high sunscreen because I have had 6 basal skin cancers removed... not fun! so I do not sit out in the sun... I do get sun but when I might be out for a walk or something.. I try to keep myself covered if mowing the lawn or going to the beach or whatever..
                    The Vit D I take is a liquid. 1 tiny drop equals 1000- IU so it is much easier to take then the pills...
                    God brought me to it, He will bring me through it!!!

Diagnosed 2003
                    by cysto/hydro
                    Elmiron took almost a year- made me sick, caused diarrhea
                    Pyridium -Made me sick
                    Detrol and Ditropan, Toviaz and Mrrbetriq- caused constipation and head ache.
                    Tried DMSO instill- had 5 out of 6
                    Started Oxytrol Patch-stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
                    Cysto/hydro April 6th 2011-- on expansion only hold one cup
                    IBS/ IC
                    High blood pressure meds and Crestor
                    Metformin (prediabetic)
                    Sinequan (depression)

Comment

Originally posted by valerie michele View Post
                      Please be very careful with vitamin D. Two years ago I started taking it and developed kidney stones. The trauma from the kidney stones caused my IC. Please drink lots of water and keep the oxyilates very low. Kidney stones are comprised of calcium and oxilate.
                      Did you take a Vit. D that was combined with something? Other things associated with it would be more likely to actually cause the kidney stones.

lalarainbow- Definitely once you have skin cancer it is important to protect yourself with sunscreen. They are now researching the possibility that sunscreen actually causes skin cancer. Most likely you were using sunscreen and you got skin cancer anyway right? I don't know your situation and certainly not here to pass judgement on your decisions. It intrigues me though to know kind of which came first, the chicken or the egg type thing. I'd love to see some statistics on how many people with skin cancer were using sunscreen regularly.
                      http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Hi
                        No ---I never used sunscreen much at all before the skin cancer.. but I did lay out in the sun when I was a teenager and didn't know any better and no one suspected that sun was not the greatest thing for your skin.. so my skin cancer came from sun damage!!!... my grandmother was a red so I have that fair skin..Irish back ground I guess..... although my sister has never had a problem and she used to lie out in the sun more then I ever did..

The Vit D is alone - I take separate source of calcium
                        I have to get the Vit D- from the Natural Path - I am not a Milk drinker and have been on a dairy free diet for a few months...also no wheat or sugar-- but I cheat on the diet sometimes..

I see a Dermatologist yearly-- regarding the skin--
                        take care

Diagnosed 2003
                        by cysto/hydro
                        Pyridium -Made me sick
                        Started Oxytrol Patch-stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
                        IBS/ IC
                        Metformin (prediabetic)
                        Sinequan (depression)

Comment

oopse meant to say Grandmother was a red head lol...

Diagnosed 2003
                          by cysto/hydro
                          Pyridium -Made me sick
                          IBS/ IC
                          Metformin (prediabetic)
                          Sinequan (depression)

Comment

vit.d

Rainbow,I really appreciate this forum,as I have felt so alone. My vit d checked normal,but wondered how accurate these test are? Also,anyone been diagnosed with pudendal neuragia,along with IC?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonheart View Post
                              Did you take a Vit. D that was combined with something? Other things associated with it would be more likely to actually cause the kidney stones.

lalarainbow- Definitely once you have skin cancer it is important to protect yourself with sunscreen. They are now researching the possibility that sunscreen actually causes skin cancer. Most likely you were using sunscreen and you got skin cancer anyway right? I don't know your situation and certainly not here to pass judgement on your decisions. It intrigues me though to know kind of which came first, the chicken or the egg type thing. I'd love to see some statistics on how many people with skin cancer were using sunscreen regularly.
                              Moonheart - I wouldn't assume that sunscreen causes skin cancer. Consider that those using sunscreen probably have a higher risk for skin cancer, like fair skin and eyes, or family history. And, sunscreen is not completely impermeable. I always end up with a little darkening in the summer even though I use sunscreen (and take Vit D supplements) religiously.

Comment

Working...
                              X