No announcement yet.

Vitamin D May Help Prevent Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say that vitamin d helped me in terms if fAtigue & some pain. I was at a 8, normal is btw 28 & 35, so I was severely deficient & was put on 50,000 units once a week for 3 months & then had my levels re checked. It's definitely a harmless test to have done & can help out. I read and have been told that vit. D deficiency can lead to a weakened immune system. Anyways just thought I'd chime in.

Comment

Interesting thread!!

I just had bloodwork done and found that I am deficient in vitamin D.

Has anyone taken a vitamin D supplement and found it to help with IC/PFD symptoms?

Comment

This is an old thread but very interesting. I live in Eastern Washington and have IC. My chiropractor put me on 10,000 of Vit D to help with anx/depression. I haven't really noticed any difference but have only been on it for a week. Moon, did you end up moving to the east side? I am desparately looking for a good doc over here!
        symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
        *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
        100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
        Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
        Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
        Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
        My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

..So I mocked my doctor for being stupid when she may have been right? Well, now I feel like a jerk.

This was my GP, not even my uro who brought it up..
          • 27 year old student
          • Had symptoms since I was 5
          • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
          • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
          • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
          • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

Comment

What foods naturally have high vitamin D? Of the specific sort. There's d1, d3, and so forth.. I don't trust supplements.. too many flares..
            • 27 year old student
            • Had symptoms since I was 5
            • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
            • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
            • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
            • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

Comment

I know milk is high in Vitamin D. Have you tried liquid D? I'm currently taking a brand called Rx Vitamins Liqui-D3. It's in olive oil. I take 3 drops at bedtime (as prescribed by my naturopath). It was around $20 but there are 900 servings per bottle. I haven't had any issues with it.

Comment

I had my vitamin D levels checked 2 years ago. I was within range but on the low side. Since I started taking Vitamin D, my pelvic floor pain has nearly gone away. I've had other IC treatments since so not sure if it's a direct correlation. I did notice after 2 weeks of taking Vitamin D, I had more energy.
                DX w/ IC in 2002. Received disability for IC in 04. Have severe IC. Hunner uclers, high frequency, moderate arthritis in lower back, severe Pelvic floor dysfunction. Anxiety due to changing amounts of pain meds. Hips misalignment (left leg 1/2" shorter).
                Past treatments: dmso and heparin instillations-in severe pain 24 hours afer emptying, hydrodistensions very painful because of ulcers, interstim twice--both failed due to infections at battery sight. PTNS-didn't reduce frequency. Botox jan 09 in bladder and pelvic floor and steroids placed on uclers. Burning pain 3 weeks after procedure but helped 30% with frequency and 50% with pain and spasms. Botox june 09 in bladder only and steriods injection into ulcers. Not as painful afterwards, put had to bear down to urinate which caused severe tightening of pelvic floor. Helped again with freq and pain. Tried physical therapy past 4 years. Has helped over time. On a regular basis I get deep tisssue massages, acupuncture and see a chiropractor. Had 3 caudal nerve blocks. Slightly improved PFD. Had Sacral nerve streriod injections on boh sides of buttocks. Helped with lower back pain, hip and buttock pain. Pudental nerve block 9-13-09. Severe pain 2 days following. No help with PFD. Steroid injections April 2010. Helped relieve some of the pain and frequency. Pelvic floor lidocaine injections May, August 2010. Noticeable relief of trigger point pain. Steroid injection into hunner ulcer August 2010. Very helpful.

Current meds: percoset, ambien, trazedone, klonopin, flexeril and norethindrone (to control endometriosis). Probiotics and a high fiber/low sugar diet helps help with constipation.
                Meds that didn't work or had adverse side effects: elmiron, elavil, lyrica and several others.
                On a daily basis I walk 2-5 miles, pray and meditate. All of this gives me tremendous strength and energy in both my mind and body.

Comment

Wow - what a coincidence that this thread popped up today. My acupuncturist told me this morning to add 4,000 IU of vitamin D along with 3,000 milligrams of Ester C to my diet. He is trying to build up my immune system and allergic response to help the IC.

Can't wait to try it after reading this!
                  My current regimen:
                  Dancing, Laughing, Petting Emily and Louise - my shihtzus

Tried and gave up on:
                  Diazepam
                  PFD
                  Warm Baths
                  Millions of supplements
                  Elmiron instillations - did 5 weekly instills and did not help. Gave up.
                  Oxytrol patch - no consistent relief after 3 weeks and very expensive
                  Sanctura XR - tried for 6 weeks with no consistent relief
                  Imipramine - tried for a week, but started to have a "hesitant" void - kind of twitchy.
                  PTNS - doctor's office was disorganized, appts took hours and gave up after 4 treatments
                  Vaginal valium suppositories - not as effective as taking valium orally
                  Cystoprotek - ridiculously overpriced - taking same supplements from CVS
                  Elmiron - 100mg in the morn, 200mg in the late afternoon - no results after 1 year
                  Elavil - 25 mg at night- no consistent relief and 5 extra pounds
                  IV Vitamin C - the only person with an allergic reaction to Vitamin C drips
                  Hormones

Comment

Re: Vitamin D May Help Prevent Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

This is an old thread so I don't know if anyone will see this, but I've just tested extremely low in vitamin D. I was given a 5,000 IU a day supplement by my doctor by Bluebonnet that is chewable (because I have a problem swallowing pills). I read a lot of very good things about this particular brand by people who are using it for very low D levels (and my doctor thinks it would help me the best too), but I am concerned because the tablets are sweetened with a mix of fruit juice concentrates including wild blueberry, cranberry, prune, cherry, strawberry, raspberry and bilberry fruits, grape seed and raspberry seed extracts. I emailed the company about my IC issue and they said that the tablets are small (and I only need to take one a day), and the fruit juice amount is also very small.

I guess I'll have to try it and see if I can tolerate that small amount, but I am concerned because I thought that, for IC people, cranberry not only burns but can make bacteria stick to the bladder walls (which is the opposite effect of cranberry on regular UTI's). Is this true? Might a very small amount used to flavor a small once a day tablet have this effect?

Comment

Working...
                    X