X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoraL
    replied
    Re: Vitamin D May Help Prevent Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

This is an old thread so I don't know if anyone will see this, but I've just tested extremely low in vitamin D. I was given a 5,000 IU a day supplement by my doctor by Bluebonnet that is chewable (because I have a problem swallowing pills). I read a lot of very good things about this particular brand by people who are using it for very low D levels (and my doctor thinks it would help me the best too), but I am concerned because the tablets are sweetened with a mix of fruit juice concentrates including wild blueberry, cranberry, prune, cherry, strawberry, raspberry and bilberry fruits, grape seed and raspberry seed extracts. I emailed the company about my IC issue and they said that the tablets are small (and I only need to take one a day), and the fruit juice amount is also very small.

I guess I'll have to try it and see if I can tolerate that small amount, but I am concerned because I thought that, for IC people, cranberry not only burns but can make bacteria stick to the bladder walls (which is the opposite effect of cranberry on regular UTI's). Is this true? Might a very small amount used to flavor a small once a day tablet have this effect?

Leave a comment:

• emilyandlouise
    replied
    Wow - what a coincidence that this thread popped up today. My acupuncturist told me this morning to add 4,000 IU of vitamin D along with 3,000 milligrams of Ester C to my diet. He is trying to build up my immune system and allergic response to help the IC.

Can't wait to try it after reading this!

Leave a comment:

• marycat2007
    replied
    I had my vitamin D levels checked 2 years ago. I was within range but on the low side. Since I started taking Vitamin D, my pelvic floor pain has nearly gone away. I've had other IC treatments since so not sure if it's a direct correlation. I did notice after 2 weeks of taking Vitamin D, I had more energy.

Leave a comment:

• krs72
    replied
    I know milk is high in Vitamin D. Have you tried liquid D? I'm currently taking a brand called Rx Vitamins Liqui-D3. It's in olive oil. I take 3 drops at bedtime (as prescribed by my naturopath). It was around $20 but there are 900 servings per bottle. I haven't had any issues with it.

Leave a comment:

• nekura
    replied
    What foods naturally have high vitamin D? Of the specific sort. There's d1, d3, and so forth.. I don't trust supplements.. too many flares..

Leave a comment:

• nekura
    replied
    ..So I mocked my doctor for being stupid when she may have been right? Well, now I feel like a jerk.

This was my GP, not even my uro who brought it up..

Leave a comment:

• bjcov
    replied
    This is an old thread but very interesting. I live in Eastern Washington and have IC. My chiropractor put me on 10,000 of Vit D to help with anx/depression. I haven't really noticed any difference but have only been on it for a week. Moon, did you end up moving to the east side? I am desparately looking for a good doc over here!

Leave a comment:

• healingthoughts
    replied
    Interesting thread!!

I just had bloodwork done and found that I am deficient in vitamin D.

Has anyone taken a vitamin D supplement and found it to help with IC/PFD symptoms?

Leave a comment:

• HopeWithin
    replied
    I would have to say that vitamin d helped me in terms if fAtigue & some pain. I was at a 8, normal is btw 28 & 35, so I was severely deficient & was put on 50,000 units once a week for 3 months & then had my levels re checked. It's definitely a harmless test to have done & can help out. I read and have been told that vit. D deficiency can lead to a weakened immune system. Anyways just thought I'd chime in.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by valerie michele View Post
    Hi Moonheart,

The vitamin D was purchased at a big retail organic food store. I bought it in the vitamin section of the store and it was just a bottle of plain vitamin D. It took less than one bottle to cause the damage. It did not contain any other additives as far as I know. I never had kidney stones before I took the vitamin D and not since. The morning before I passed the stones I had my usual breakfast of orange juice, eggs, toast and homefries with lots of tobasco. I have never been the same since those stones passed. Now I have severe IC. I call it "hard core" IC or HCIC. All thanks to vitamin D. For me, it's ruined my life. I just want people who are thinking about taking it to be careful. If they must take it do not take to much and drink lots, a whole lot of water while taking it.
    valerie thank you so much for your post on vitamin d and kidney stones. The same exact thing happened to me . I had very low vit, d level at a 5 yes 5
    My pfp put me on 50,000 units vitamin d once a week- it is a prescription
    yes I got kidney stones > I said to myself the vitamin D caused kidney stones = I know my body and I am sure it did . Especially that high dose of kidney stones. Plus at same time I was trying prelief . I was taking two prelief before supper every night. prelief has calcium in it. so the calcium in the prelief helped the absorption of vitamin d. So I say my kidney stones were from vitamin d and the prelief combination

Leave a comment:

• elamar
    replied
    enteric coated fish oil

If you are having issues with the fish oil, you can look specifically for enteric coated fish oil capsules. That way they don't open in the stomach. They open in the digestive system, which helps eliminate this issues of burping or fishy aftertaste. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• bjwright
    replied
    Food with supplements?

If you're taking your supplements with food and perhaps taking them divided between/with several meals, that might help. The Omegas are tough-- there always seems to be an aftertaste/burp.

Leave a comment:

• cat55
    replied
    I also have loq Vitamin D, my Dr. said I should be taking 2000 IU per day. I am wondering if their are any supplements that we should avoid with IC. I am taking Fish Oil, Calcium w/D, Aloe Vera Capsules and Lecithin for lowering Cholestoral. I feel nausuous most of the time and sometimes can taste the fish oil awhile after I take it. Has anyone else had nausa or IC flares from supplements? Can someone tell me how to list my Meds and diagnosis at the bottom of all my posts? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• bjwright
    replied
    I guess I was/am lucky

I am on Vit D 10,000 U... no stones so far.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by valerie michele View Post
    Please be very careful with vitamin D. Two years ago I started taking it and developed kidney stones. The trauma from the kidney stones caused my IC. Please drink lots of water and keep the oxyilates very low. Kidney stones are comprised of calcium and oxilate.
    thank you thank you for this post. It was not just me. My vitamin d level came back at a 5 yes a 5. Lowest my md had ever seen in his career. so they put me on prescription vitamin d 50,000 IU twice a week.
    I out of nowhere got a kidney stone two of them and ended up in ER

I just few weeks ago mentioned to my gyn I thought that high level of vitamin d . 50,000 twice a week caused me the kidney stones........... he said no
    I say yes.
    Got up to 50 on vitamin d level. still have one kidney stone up there
    Now my level is back down to 22.............. I will take OTC vitamin d 4000 IU once or twice a day

so I agree yes it at high levels cause me kidney stones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X