X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine, Beer, Spirits & IC - Survey Reveals Surprisingly Results

Wine, Beer, Spirits and IC
    Survey Reveals Surprising Results

We’re happy to share some of the results of the large alcohol survey the ICN did this Spring. The full results will be in the Summer 2010 IC Optimist later this month. Yes, the rumor is true. Patients did tolerate straight alcohols better than almost any other alcohol.

WINES - Only 21% of patients reported that they could drink wine without triggering an IC flares though it depended, a great deal, on the type of wine drunk. Lower acid wines were tolerated much better than high acid or high histamine wines. Chardonnay was the top white wine and Merlot was the top red wine that patients reported didn’t irritate their bladder or prostate.

MIXED DRINKS - Mixed drinks triggered flares in 61% of patients, thus only 39% of patients could enjoy a mixed drink without irritating their bladders. The key was mixers. Patients unanimously avoided all citrus mixers. Some reported that they could tolerate root beer as a mixer while others found that milk based drinks, such as White Russions or Irish Creme on the rocks were most tolerable.

BEERS - Only 44% of the participants reported that they could drink beer without irritating their bladders and most reported that the light ale beers, such as Miller Genuine Draft Light or Blue Moon were the most bladder friendly. Darker beers seemed to trigger more discomfort.

STRAIGHT ALCOHOL - A surprising 65% of patients reported that they could enjoy a straight alcohol drink, supporting patient testimonials that we’ve received over the years. Patients reported, in general, that light or clear alcohols were better tolerated than darker alcohols. The worst offender was tequila. Vodka and some rum drinks were mentioned as being the most IC friendly, particularly the flavored vodkas like pear, vanilla or blueberry.

Given the fact that more than 90% reported that alcohol has triggered their bladder symptoms, we think that patients should avoid most if not all alcohols when their symptoms are active and/or they are suffering from bladder pain. But, when those symptoms improve, it may be reasonable to try one of the lower acid wines, light ale beers or clear alcohol drinks suggested in the study. Try a small amount first and always follow that drink with water to dilute the effect of the alcohol and your urine. The acid reducing supplement, Prelief, was mentioned several times by wine, beer and straight alcohol drinkers as helping to reduce some symptoms as well.

The full story, with much more information about types of wines, brands of beer and drink suggestions will be in our upcoming IC Optimist.

Please remember that alcohol should not be consumed when taking certain medications. Please be cautious and careful and, when in doubt, as your doctor for more information about potential side effects.
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

I am able to enjoy a beer or two with no absolutely no problems the next day. Any kind really: from IPAs to porters and stouts.

I tried drinking some gin once. That did not go over well at all. I believe that it was turpentine that irritated me.

Comment

I've found vodka is one of the only things I can drink, the vanilla kind is most friendly, though only high quality stuff (cheap vodka kills me). Same with rum.

I find it interesting that more patients could cope with straight alcohol. Maybe cause straight alcohol doesn't need all of the extra preservitives/chemicals/whatever of mixed drinks (especially since many bars use premixed bases, which are full of bad things).
      Clark College Junior, wanting to go to UW for Fine Art Degree
      Major: Fine Art
      Taking a course in medical transcription, must work from home
      IC diagnosed 07/07
      PFD developed sometime during late 07
      Uterine Cyst removed 12/09
      Chronic Pelvic pain developed in 09
      Chronic Back Pain developed in 09
      Possible vulvodynia

Medications: Elmiron, Detrol LA, BC, Prosed DS, Celexa for anxiety, depression, and pain,
      No longer taking: Atarax (No help),Amytriptalene (no effect, became suicidal), Ditropan (no effect), Probiotics (sick to stomach), Bactrim (hopefully cleared up my UTI!), avoiding Pyridium unless absolutely needed (sick to stomach), Prozac (helped anxiety, no pain relief), Pamelor (gained nearly 20 lbs in a short time, no anxiety relief), Valium, Vicodin, percocet (none of these meds even touch my pain >_<)

Current Therapies: acupuncture, heat, Vicodin if needed, lots of laying down, gaming as a distraction, Pain Management classes started 9/22, Wanting to try TENS therapy

Comment

Just found Honeywood Wines that makes an Oregon Pear Wine which I had no problem tolerating.
        Last edited by ICNDonna; 11-07-2010, 01:48 AM. Reason: Removed sales site.

Comment

I love Honeywood --- they also make a peach wine that is delicious! We drove to the winery in Salem, Oregon and bought a case of the peach. I don't drink it often, but it's a real treat.

Donna
          Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Beer always made my bladder feel better

Comment

A bluberry daquiri using bacardi seems to do just fine with me. A little ice cream, a few fresh bluberries, and a shot of rum works great. I can usually do 1 or 2 of those and be just fine.
              Newly Diagnosed and learning to cope.

Comment

Has anyone had a good experience with the new White pear Pinot Grigio from Arbor mist? I want to try it, so If no one else has I think it is worth an experiment!
                Newly Diagnosed and learning to cope.

Comment

I can actually drink most alcohols without any pain. If i drink 6 beers obviously Im going to have to go to the bathroom a lot. But my concern is that even if it doesn't seem to bother me, does that mean its not doing damage to my bladder? I don't want to do anything that is doing lasting damage to my bladder but if it doesn't trigger any flares for me should I still avoid it? I realize that you all may not be medical professionals but maybe you've asked your doctors before.

Thanks

Comment

We had an excellent internist years ago in another state. After I had a horrible bout with kidney stones, he told me, verbatim, "beer drinkers rarely get kidney stones." Of course he emphasized that did not mean a six pack a day, but a beer or two a few times a week might be beneficial. Problem is, I don't care for beer except on a hot summer day. But that was good, and he went on to explain that it may "flush" the kidneys quickly, thus removing debris. So if it flushes the kidneys, I wonder if it flushes the bladder quickly as well? Of course it will make you pee more, but maybe that's a good thing for an hour or so. Don't know, just putting it out there.

Hub can sometimes have a beer or two with NO problems, but if he's in a flare, it bothers him. He is just starting to experiment with liquor, maybe a vodka and root beer. We'll see, we have been religious with the diet, and it helps somewhat. It's so hard to tell, he only has a few good days a month anyway. So I guess he figures what the heck? As long as I'm in this pain all the time, I might as well enjoy a cocktail now and then. Another question to put out there, has anyone tried 7-UP as a mixer with any success? Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

Yeah I hear ya. But I just wonder if the cysts are affected by all that alcohol. I've been pretty lucky with my symptoms so I don't want to do anything to harm my bladder. At the same time i'd like to live my life the way I always have.

THanks for your response.

Comment

I am terrified to try any alcohol, but it sure would make getting through this more bearable. I wonder if the people who can have alcohol have certain symptoms to where they can handle it more than others with other symptoms. I mainly have pain and burning in my bladder. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a beer! I even thought of putting some Bailey's in some hot almond milk. ?? Gosh, anything. Any thoughts?
                        treatment:
                        -I follow the IC diet to the letter
                        -acupuncture and chinese herbs
                        -Prelief
                        -UTA
                        -instillations as needed
                        -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
                        -Wellbutrin
                        -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Comment

To be honest, alcohol does seem to bother me now. I've just been trying to convince myself that it doesn't. I've had IC for 12 years with very minor sypmtoms. Actually I had some pretty severe symptoms but they were not what everybody else has and diet didnt effect it. Its fortunate that I was ever diagnosed properly. But during the 12 years I was able to drink and do eat everything except spicey food. Im not a hard liqour or wine drinker but I like nothing more than having a few beers on a friday night after a long work week. But now the pressure on my bladder is really nagging and I guess I should stop. I'm going to see a urologist in Boston in a few weeks and am hoping for the best but I can't imagine he's going to say its ok for me to drink if doing so bothers me. If i knew it wasn't going to do damage to my bladder I could certainly drink on occasion since its only a nuisance and not actually painful. But I'm coming to grips with the fact that I need to stop. I wish I had better advice for you on what you could drink but I'm just getting started on a new life without drinking and I don't know what can help you. I can feel the desire for a drink in your message and get the feeling that i'll be writing a similar message in the coming months. Im going to miss beer but I'm more terriefied of what its going to be like to live in Boston as a 32 year old male without drinking. My friends and girlfriend have been very supportive but they aren't going to enjoy movie night for long and the call of the bar will be too strong. I can't blame them but I sure wish someone would figure out this damn illness already.

Keep in touch. If I find anything out i'll let you know. I just started on this website and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I don't know if you can "friend" people or whatever but if so please do so. I'm going to need some like minded people to help me get through.

Comment

I just got back from my husband's company Christmas party and tried the vodka. I took 2 prelief before I ate, took 3 more, got the vodka (on rocks) sipped it real slow alternating with water, then drank a bottle of water on the way home with 2 more prelief (hoping for some "postlief"). I only drank half of the drink, but I had to try it after reading this information. I didn't know whether to feel brave I was doing it or stupid, and got my stomach in a knot worrying about it.

Now, I realize that was probably real overkill, but I did everything I could possibly think of to be sure I could tolerate it. Now, if I have a problem, I'll know it would have been WAY worse if I hadn't done all that, and if I don't, I can try it again with less precautions. Do you all take a prelief or 3- haha before you drink these things? Please tell.

I have to say, after not having anything for so long, just the taste was a treat even though I've never ordered vodka before. It may be my last though. We'll see. I sure don't want to do ANYTHING that would make this worse.
                            treatment:
                            -I follow the IC diet to the letter
                            -acupuncture and chinese herbs
                            -Prelief
                            -UTA
                            -instillations as needed
                            -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
                            -Wellbutrin
                            -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Comment

Last week I bought some prelief for the first time and tried it with beer. I wrote down the results after each beer I had and prelief didn't seem to do much good. But I find it hard to believe its the acid in alcohol thats bothering people. I could literally eat a jar of tomato sauce with no problem and I drink any kind of juice with no side effect. But when I drink alcohol the pressure to urinate is pretty high and it feels pretty uncomfortable. Im no doctor but I think prelief is wishful thinking when it comes to alcohol. I was one of those wishful thinkers last week but am not really anymore. If prelief removes the acid from alcohol it still doesn't remove the alcohol and thats got to irritate the cysts. The doctor im seeing on the 16th dedicates Thursdays to patients with IC so i'll share whatever news I get when it comes to drinking because I plan on asking him.

Comment

Working...
                              X