Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy Mae
    replied
    This is all very interesting! Does anyone remember the "gate" theory of pain control? Apparently when we are injured, a little floodgate partially opens in the area to allow neurotransmitters to come in bringing pain relief. If we bump our elbow, for example, this little gate opens up partially to allow some pain relieving transmitters in to target those receptor sites.
    When we do bump our elbow, the first thing we do is rub that elbow hard. This creates even MORE pain sensation briefly to allow those gates to open more fully and allow more pain-relief to rush through the gates.
    This was an attempt to paraphrase, because it's been years since I took anatomy and physiology, but this is my basic understanding. I've wondered if that's how tens units work.
    Thanks for the information, Jill! Those of us with IC are open to ANY information that could lead to better understanding of pain and how to control it. : )

Leave a comment:

• loraleena
    replied
    I believe it. Sometimes when I am really hurting my boyfriend will put his hand on my bladder area and imagine it relaxing and feeling better. It actually helps every time and helps me go to sleep. I even find my own hand helps a bit as well!

Leave a comment:

• alycat
    replied
    Very interesting. Gives me a better idea of how the brain works with pain. Sometimes I think my brain overreacts when it comes to pain.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Very interesting. I know there's an "old" remedy for a burn on a finger --- and that is putting the finger on an ear lobe --- maybe that's not as silly as I thought.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• icnmgrjill
    started a topic Fascinating study on using touch to reduce pain

Fascinating study on using touch to reduce pain

‘Self-Touch’ May Reduce Pain, Study Finds

By Randy Dotinga
    HealthDay Reporter

FRIDAY, Sept. 24 (HealthDay News) — You burn your hand on a hot stove. You grab that hand with the other, and sometimes the pain goes away. Ever wonder why?

British researchers did, and their unusual study suggests that you can reset your brain’s image of your body to help eliminate that pain.

The researchers found that they were able to significantly decrease the levels of pain in the hands of people who thought they were experiencing extreme heat. Their method: they told the participants to touch three fingers on one hand to three fingers on the other.

Read the full story at: http://news.health.com/2010/09/24/se...n-study-finds/
Working...
X