Caveolin-1 may participate in the pathogenesis of ic/bps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveolin-1 may participate in the pathogenesis of ic/bps

Well this is interesting! Caveolins are "integral membraine proteins" that are permanently embedded in the bladder wall (and cells throughout the body) that perform a variety of functions, including helping cells absorb various substances. Caveolae are little cave like pockets in the cell wall. In any case, this study suggests that IC patients may have more caveolin-1 protein expression... essentially more caveolins present in the bladder tissue. I wish I understood the ramifications of this... my best guess is that implies that a bladder wall high in caveolins could let more irritants pass through the cell membrane??? but that is entirely a guess. We'll have to wait and see what future research shows but it is fascinating! - Jill

Friday, 04 March 2011

Urological Research Institute of PLA, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China.

To determine whether caveolin-1 expression is associated with bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis (BPS/IC) and to better understand the pathogenesis of BPS/IC.

The study population was composed of 19 women with BPS/IC and 7 healthy women as controls. Midstream urine specimens were collected before cystoscopy and cold cup bladder biopsies were obtained from the trigone of the bladder. Caveolin-1 protein expression was determined by indirect immunofluorescence and Western blot analysis in cases and controls, using a rabbit polyclonal antibody against caveolin-1. χ(2) test and Student's t test were used in the statistical analysis.

A statistical difference of caveolin-1 protein expression was observed between BPS/IC and healthy controls (p < 0.05, χ(2) test). Western blot analysis showed that the mean relative integrated density value of caveolin-1 in (BPS/IC) patients was significantly higher than that in the control group (p < 0.001, Student's t test).

The results of our study demonstrate that there is a relationship between the raised levels of caveolin-1 expression and BPS/IC. This preliminary study may provide a basis for further investigation of the role of caveolin-1 in the pathogenesis of BPS/IC.

Written by:
    Lin XC, Zhang QH, Zhou P, Zhou ZS, Lu GS. Are you the author?
    Reference: Urol Int. 2011 Feb 19. Epub ahead of print.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

I am also trying to understand this as well. If Caveolins are "integral membraine proteins" that are permanently embedded in the bladder wall (and cells throughout the body) that perform a variety of functions, including helping cells absorb various substances, and we have more of them, does that make our bladders more susceptible to certain triggers that can pass through these membranes causing irritation?

Also, upon doing other research myself (sorry I enjoy this stuff, guess that's why I am a scientist, lol). Plus this could give me good ideas for my original research proposal that I will have to give for my Ph.D.

Okay, this is something interesting I found: 'Dr. Craig Henke and colleagues at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN propose that low levels of caveolin-1 contribute to the over-proliferation of fibroblasts in lung disease.' I know that there has been an APF found in patients with IC (anti-proliferative factor). I wonder if there is a connection with an over-expression of caveolin-1 with an over-proliferation of cells (could be bad, which lead to the glomerulations or other issues with the bladder wall), and if people would be able to stop this proliferation by targeting the APF protein this may also have an effect on the expression of caveolin-1.

Not sure, but sounds interesting? Kind of gave me ideas for my research at the hospital (I am designing a compound that inhibits proliferation of lung cancer cells)-so score!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0526104019.htm Here is the article where I found the info about caveolin-1 and lung cancer.
    24 year old Ph.D student in Organic Chemistry

Loves to listen to music, play with my animals (cat, fish, 2 hamsters), and live life to the fullest each and every day.

My blog (just started):

http://imaginenoworries.blogspot.com/

Medications:
    Elavil 25mg (helped with nighttime urination-used to be 7 or more times a night, now just once)
    Cymbalta 60mg
    Gabapentin (Neurontin) (3200mg/day)
    Zyrtec 10mg
    Xanax 0.5mg up to 3 times a day(spasms, anxiety)
    Uribel
    Macrobid 100mg (only on days when doing an instill)
    Albuterol
    Yaz Birth Control (3 months on birth control, then period)
    Pelvic floor therapy
    Valium 5 mg (inserted vaginally)
    MScontin 30 mg (3 times a day)
    Percocet 10/325mg (every 6 hours)
    TENS Therapy, CVS machine, 30 minutes once or twice a day
    Sanctura XR 60 mg (to help control severe bladder spasms that are causing urinary retention episodes and enable normal bladder sensations)

*** 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 ounce glass of water up to 4 times a day*****

Instill:

Currently doing hyaluronic acid instillations (cystistat-6 instillations, once a week, already had 4...not sure if helping)

Used to do these:

Solu-Cortef (act-o-vial) 100 mg: 2 mL
    Marcaine (bupivicaine) 0.5 % 25 mL
    20,000 units Heparin
    3 mL sodium bicarbonate

Diagnoses: Moderate IC, scoliosis, asthma, ovarian cysts, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, Fowler's syndrome (mild) 'Central Sensitivity Syndrome.'

Comment

Caveolin-1 would increase transport across cell membrn

You're right Jill. A protein that causes "cave-like pockets" in the cell membrane would increase the surface area of the cell membrane. Anytime the surface area of a cell is increased it is easier, and faster for whatever (good or bad) to cross through the membrane and enter the cell. So more things can cross through the membrane and enter the cell.
      The pockets also increase the process of endocytosis, another method by which molecules and larger matter can enter the cell. Stuff gets in the pocket, the pocket pinches closed and the stuff is inside the cell- it's called invagination. We just studied this in physiology. I love it when school relates to my body and my understanding of IC.
      Patty
      pal2pah

Comment

Working...
      X