Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natty
    replied
    I am having trouble following this thread. When is this coming out? What is is a urine test?

Leave a comment:

• auntann
    replied
    Greetings all!

Just came across this thread and wondered if there have been any further developments in regards to the APF factor urine test and/or APF factor antagonist?

Leave a comment:

• nnj925
    replied
    Im new to the depthness of IC...but what exactly is APF and how does it effect us??? any help would be great

Leave a comment:

• sshannon74074
    replied
    Found this article from 1997 about Dr. Keay's research on APF.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1020164711.htm

Leave a comment:

• vanilla
    replied
    yeah, and no more champagne and caviar for our doctors.

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    Originally posted by sshannon74074 View Post
    The image in my head of IC researchers sitting around drinking beer and playing dominos is beginning to change.

Thanks GardenGirl.

I think if they do make an APF antagonist pill, I wouldn't care whatever test I had to get done to be able to take it. It would be really nice if it was just a urine test, but even still...this is such good news.

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    lol scott same here. i didnt think there was much research going on recently.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl2
    replied
    Originally posted by LithEruiel View Post
    They were trying to get a patent on a urine test for APF, but note sure what's happened with that.
    This was taken from a report Jill posted yesterday:

The Latest on Antiproliferative Factor (APF)
    Susan Keay, MD, PhD, from the University of Maryland reviewed her research on antiproliferative factor (APF) and the role it may play in IC. Although APF clearly differentiated those with IC from those without, coming up with a test that your doctor can use has been tough. The APF signal is so small, that it’s very hard to amplify it to a measurable level. The very common technique of using antibodies to the substance you’re looking for just didn’t work out, and although the idea isn’t entirely off the table, Dr. Keay may be looking for ways to detect the APF peptide on its own, which will be a challenging task.

Leave a comment:

• sshannon74074
    replied
    The image in my head of IC researchers sitting around drinking beer and playing dominos is beginning to change.

Leave a comment:

• sshannon74074
    replied
    God bless you Susan Keay. This is the most exciting thing I've heard since I've had this disease for four yrs. Please be the one! Each year I pray that this is the year I get better. This is the hope I needed. Thank you so much for sharing this Jill

Scott

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    It a substance our bodies make (just people with IC) and know one knows why. And it keeps our bladder cells from proliferating like they do in people without IC. I can't say that this has been proven, but to me to shows that IC is in our genes, not a hidden infection.

Leave a comment:

• Landish
    replied
    Originally posted by suzannes View Post
    Landish,
    I think it means that they are looking at substances that block APF. If APF is blocked the thought is damage supposedly caused by APF will blocked.

Suzanne
    Thanks Suzanne! This is very interesting but what is APF? It's a virus? It's a bacteria? Where does it come from?, from preservatives in food?, from soap? Of course I would like that they block it first but I also want to know what that is.

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    i will kiss the ground the researchers walk on whoever finds a cure or a magic pill for us. it would be awesome if it turned out to be a woman who discovers it.

Leave a comment:

• darlene
    replied
    I have been waiting for news like this. I hope testing goes well.

Leave a comment:

• LithEruiel
    replied
    They were trying to get a patent on a urine test for APF, but note sure what's happened with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X