IBS now linked to bacterial overgrowth in the gut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBS now linked to bacterial overgrowth in the gut

For those of us with IBS, this research intrigues!!! I wish I could go back to my childhood and figure out if and/or when I was struck with an intestinal illness. I know it happened ALOT. But, I also find the connection with active duty military serving overseas to be fascinating. I think that exposure to bacteria not found in our normal environment is clearly a factor which would explain why every time I travel abroad, I almost always develop a gut problem. Europe, Hawaii... it happens every time.. and travelling to India or China is terrifying. The last think I want is a mega case of delhi belly! - Jill

Research Deepens Understanding of Most Common Gastrointestinal Disorder in U.S., Linking It to Bacterial Overgrowth, Food Poisoning
    Released: 5/10/2011 6:00 PM EDT
    Source: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Newswise — LOS ANGELES (May 10, 2011) – Cedars-Sinai researchers have reported two advances in the understanding of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting an estimated 30 million people.

One study provides further evidence that IBS is linked to an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut. In a separate study, a mathematical model reveals the disease’s link to food poisoning and shows that military personnel are at a much higher risk for the disorder than the rest of the population.

“The better we understand this disease, which affects millions of Americans, the more tools we will have for fighting it,” said Mark Pimentel, MD, director of the Cedars-Sinai GI Motility Program and a primary investigator on the studies. “Patients with this condition suffer serious quality of life issues. It’s a disease that is frequently misunderstood and difficult for people to talk about, but it’s important for the medical community to understand the causes of the disease so we can develop the most effective treatments possible.”

The findings were reported at Digestive Disease Week, the world’s largest gathering of physicians and researchers in gastroenterology, hepatology, endoscopy and gastrointestinal surgery. The May 7-10 conference occurred in Chicago. IBS is the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting more than 20 percent of the population. Doctors commonly categorize patients with a “constipation predominant” condition, a “diarrhea-predominant” condition, or an alternating pattern of diarrhea and constipation. These patients also often experience abdominal pain or cramps, excess gas or bloating, and visible abdominal distension.

In collaboration with researchers at Sismanogleion General Hospital in Athens, Greece, and at the University of Athens, scientists looked at small bowel cultures to confirm the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth – or SIBO – in patients with IBS. Previous studies have indicated that bacteria have a role in the disease, including breath tests finding methane (a byproduct of bacterial fermentation in the gut), as well as the disease responding to antibiotics. In this study, 320 patients underwent an endoscopy of their upper GI tract, from which a small bowel culture was cultivated. Of those patients with IBS, 37.5 percent were positive for bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, compared to fewer than 10 percent of those who did not have the disorder . The overgrowth was more prevalent in those with the diarrhea-predominant version of the disease.

Researchers also found more different kinds of bacteria in IBS patients.
    In a separate study, using a mathematical model, researchers concluded that food poisoning – gastroenteritis – may account for the majority of irritable bowel syndrome cases. Further, it predicts a greater incidence of the disease for populations at a higher risk of these kinds of infections, such as military personnel. The study was based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and other research studies. The model projects that 9 percent of those with a genetic predisposition would contract IBS after 10 years. However, among high risk groups such as deployed military, 9 percent of that population would develop the disease in a six month time frame.

“While everyone understands that our troops encounter great danger and difficult conditions while serving their country, this study reminds us that we need to pay greater attention to the dietary woes and digestive upsets that long have been the subject of wry discussion among overseas forces,” Pimentel said of the study results.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

"Of those patients with IBS, 37.5 percent were positive for bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, compared to fewer than 10 percent of those who did not have the disorder."
    Interesting.

I'm also interested in all the different bacteria strains they found in large amounts - are they the bacteria we normally have in our systems, just in large quantities, or is it a build-up of foreign bacteria (which would make sense for military personnel going overseas.)
    Maybe we're lacking some key element that would otherwise keep the level of bacteria in check...

Thanks for the news, I really hope this means that more research will be done!
    21 years old
    dx: severe OAB, mild/moderate IC, depression, PTSD, agoraphobia, chronic fatigue, IBS, peripheral neuropathy

♥ looking for a way or medication to help stop spasms ♥

Comment

very interesting.
      Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
      Zoloft- one once a day
      Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
      Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
      tramadol-allergic
      DMSO treatments(5-6)
      probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
      AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
      Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
      Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
      Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
      where there is hatred, let me sow love;
      when there is injury, pardon;
      where there is doubt, faith;
      where there is despair, hope;
      where there is darkness, light;
      and where there is sadness, joy.
      Grant that I may not so much seek
      to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood, as to understand,
      to be loved as to love;
      for it is in giving that we receive,
      it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
      and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

This is really interesting. My gastro doctor believes I have SIBO. I have been on rifaximin, which is a really, really expensive antibiotic that just treats the gut, 3 times and will soon be starting my fourth time. My gastro says some people have to take this antibiotic 1 week out of every month to keep their IBS in check. Since I am having diarrhea 4-10 times on an average day, I am willing to try anything.
        Conditions:
        IBS 4/04; IC 8/05; Vitamin B-12 Deficiency 7/06; Asthma 9/06; Citrus, MSG, Sulfate/Sulfite, Nitrate/Nitrite, Sodium Benzoate Allergy diagnosed 9/06; Fibromyalgia 6/07; Pelvic Floor disfunction 2007; Hysterectomy 10/08; Fallopian Tube Cyst removed 5/10; Chronic Diarrhea since 12/10 ; Ulcerative Colitis 4/12

Medications
        Elmiron 3x day
        Trazadone at bedtime
        Tramadol as needed for pain
        Monthly B-12 injections
        Continuous Birth Control (even though I had a hyst, to control cysts)
        heating pad, hot epsom salt baths, strict IC diet
        Interstim implant 9/11
        Ulcerative Colitis Meds - Remicade, Azathioprine, Lialda, prednisone several times a year

Failed Bladder Treatments
        Lyrica, Elavil, Detrol, Detrol LA, Ditropan, Sanctura, Flomax, Prelief, Pyridium & Urelle (allergic!), Lidoderm patches, long term antibiotics - Macrobid and others, instillations (ouch!), CystaQ, pelvic floor therapy, fulguration, bladder injections, bladder stretching

Comment

eh...I'm on antibiotics a lot (for respiratory infections) and they have made my symptoms worse...I've had IBS since I was a kid. Right now they've wiped out pretty much all of my bacteria (I'm on on probiotic) and it's tearing me up...
          ~Ashley

Comment

I'm wondering how much of everyone's IBS is caused by just plain food contamination. There are so many food recalls of everything from ground turkey to spinach and the latest one with the ground turkey was a biggie. I ended up in the ER twice in three months with something they never could identify, but just said most probably food contamination poisoning.

Comment

So much more discovering to do...

So, now they have linked a bacterial connection to IBS, among other things. I agree with Earthlady: It seems that so much of our enviroment is contaminated--so much that people really don't want to admit it because it's so scary: food, air, water, etc.

That's why I'm beginning a body cleanse, starting with colon hydro-therapy, next I am targeting parasites and my liver/gall bladder. For the past 10 years of my life, I have done nothing but toxify my body with fast food, alcohol and cigarettes (on occassion), and just living in such a toxic world.

I am seeing a local MD who utilizes alternative methods of practice also, so I am not taking these treatments in to my own hands.

Get well, everyone.
              Maria

Current medication: Soul-searching

Vitamin D and B, Green smoothies, infrared sauna use, walking, cleansing, still seeking doctors to help find THE CAUSE of this--autoimmune or infection.

Comment

Yes, it's scary to think about it really. There is an environmental medical doctor in my area who deals with this but I've been too afraid to go and see him. I think I would be shocked to hear what's really out there even though I'm aware of a lot of the things that are.

Comment

My gastro just prescibed Align? He told me it is very good for IBS. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem with it?

Comment

I take Align and it doesn't seem to bother me. It takes a few weeks to notice a difference. I take it because I've been on a lot of antibiotics and have had a lot if stomach pain.
                    ~Ashley

Comment

My gastro just prescibed Align? He told me it is very good for IBS. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem with it?

Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know. How are you feeling?

Comment

You're welcome! I've been on it 6 weeks and a I better. It's going to take time I guess to get my normal flora back. I was having a lot of diarrhea, but I'm not now, but still have the pain. Nice to get rid of that though!!
                          ~Ashley

Comment

Working...
                          X