Uropathogenic Escherichia coli induces chronic pelvic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uropathogenic Escherichia coli induces chronic pelvic pain

Researchers in Chicago hypothesized that certain strains of bacteria appear to trigger a pain response.. that appears to persist even AFTER the infection is gone. The research below proves that one strain of ECOLI (strain CP1) appears to do just that, though only in some but not all of the mice tested. Thus, we have evidence an infection might be the triggering event to a pelvic pain syndrome though heredity also plays a role. Fascinating but much more research is needed.. specifically how to turn the pain off after it happens. - Jill

Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) is a debilitating syndrome of unknown etiology often postulated, but not proven, to be associated with microbial infection of the prostate gland. We hypothesized that infection of the prostate by clinically relevant uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) can initiate and establish chronic pain. We utilized an E. coli strain newly isolated from a patient with CP/CPPS (strain CP1) and examined its molecular pathogenesis in cell culture and in a murine model of bacterial prostatitis. We found that CP1 is an atypical isolate distinct from most UPEC in its phylotype and virulence factor profile. CP1 adhered to, invaded, and proliferated within prostate epithelia and colonized the prostate and bladder of NOD and C57BL/6J mice. Using behavioral measures of pelvic pain, we showed that CP1 induced and sustained chronic pelvic pain in NOD mice, an attribute not exhibited by a clinical cystitis strain. Furthermore, pain was observed to persist even after bacterial clearance from genitourinary tissues. CP1 induced pelvic pain behavior exclusively in NOD mice and not in C57BL/6J mice, despite comparable levels of colonization and inflammation. Microbial infections can thus serve as initiating agents for chronic pelvic pain through mechanisms that are dependent on both the virulence of the bacterial strain and the genetic background of the host.

Source: Rudick CN et al. Uropathogenic Escherichia coli induces chronic pelvic pain. Infect Immun. 2011 Feb;79(2):628-35.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

interesting. my pelvic pain stayed after a horrible bacterial uti and we could never turn it off even after the infection was out of my system. looking forward to hearing all the new and fascinating research sounds like we're gettin closer to a cure everyday
    Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
    Zoloft- one once a day
    Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
    Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
    tramadol-allergic
    DMSO treatments(5-6)
    probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
    AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
    Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
    Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
    Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
    where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    when there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.
    Grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood, as to understand,
    to be loved as to love;
    for it is in giving that we receive,
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

My IC/Pelvic pain also started after a uti. I hope that they come up with a treatment since they found something that maybe an etiology in some IC cases.
      Diagnosed with IC October 2009- through bladder biopsy (no glomerations or hunners ulcers found, just irritation)

I have moderate-severe IC

Currently stopped taking all medications due to pregnancy

Comment

I think my IC started after a really bad UTI, too. It felt like the UTI never cleared up (I was recultured after the course of meds was over with and it was negative. I would get a UTI every few months and then other symptoms appeared and finally a diagnosis of IC.

Comment

I just reread this post and am dealing with a real uti at the moment.
          It's reaffirming my opinion heredity And bacteria or infections have alot to do with the cause of ic
          Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
          Zoloft- one once a day
          Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
          Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
          tramadol-allergic
          DMSO treatments(5-6)
          probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
          AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
          Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
          Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
          Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
          ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
          where there is hatred, let me sow love;
          when there is injury, pardon;
          where there is doubt, faith;
          where there is despair, hope;
          where there is darkness, light;
          and where there is sadness, joy.
          Grant that I may not so much seek
          to be consoled as to console;
          to be understood, as to understand,
          to be loved as to love;
          for it is in giving that we receive,
          it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
          and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

Working...
          X