AUA 2012 - LiRIS Study Shows Ulcer Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUA 2012 - LiRIS Study Shows Ulcer Healing

I have exciting news to share from the 2012 American Urology Association conference. Researchers have released the startling results of the LiRIS® Phase
    1B study conducted last year. Of the 18 patients who participated in this ascending dose cohort study, 7 had Hunner’s lesions (aka ulcers). After two weeks of treatment with LiRIS®, 6 of those 7 patients had a “resolution
    of Hunner’s lesions.” (The overall response was a 69% improvement at Day 14 of the study.)

This is the first study, in my memory, which has shown healing of ulcers. While it is very early in the clinical trial process, it gives me great hope that we may soon have a new, effective therapy for patients.

Woot! Woot! Woot!

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Wow!

This is wonderful news!
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

Wow, this is wonderful news! I've tried fulguration and injections in my hunner's ulcer. It would be wonderful to have another option.
      Conditions:
      IBS 4/04; IC 8/05; Vitamin B-12 Deficiency 7/06; Asthma 9/06; Citrus, MSG, Sulfate/Sulfite, Nitrate/Nitrite, Sodium Benzoate Allergy diagnosed 9/06; Fibromyalgia 6/07; Pelvic Floor disfunction 2007; Hysterectomy 10/08; Fallopian Tube Cyst removed 5/10; Chronic Diarrhea since 12/10 ; Ulcerative Colitis 4/12

Medications
      Elmiron 3x day
      Trazadone at bedtime
      Tramadol as needed for pain
      Monthly B-12 injections
      Continuous Birth Control (even though I had a hyst, to control cysts)
      heating pad, hot epsom salt baths, strict IC diet
      Interstim implant 9/11
      Ulcerative Colitis Meds - Remicade, Azathioprine, Lialda, prednisone several times a year

Failed Bladder Treatments
      Lyrica, Elavil, Detrol, Detrol LA, Ditropan, Sanctura, Flomax, Prelief, Pyridium & Urelle (allergic!), Lidoderm patches, long term antibiotics - Macrobid and others, instillations (ouch!), CystaQ, pelvic floor therapy, fulguration, bladder injections, bladder stretching

Comment

Thanks for posting the good news!
        Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

Why would putting lidocaine into the bladder cause an ulcer to heal? Doesnt make sense???

Comment

This is great news....thanks for keeping us updated.

Comment

ouch a lot - Good question. Since lidocaine is just a numbing agent I'm also wondering why it would actually heal the ulcers. ??

Comment

There must be other ingredients in it than lidocaine.
                Diagnosed.

Comment

sure hope this is promising for us. I know one person who did the study and for her it increased her pain .......however we are all different so praying this is a break through for IC pain .
                  My IC Uro told me last Monday he is main MD in charge of this study for gathering all date and analyzing it ...so that means publication .

Comment

Originally posted by ouch_a_lot View Post
                    Why would putting lidocaine into the bladder cause an ulcer to heal? Doesnt make sense???

Just a wild guess - you know about putting duct tape on a wart to heal it - something about it irritating your skin so an immune response maybe happens to heal it - so maybe that is what happens, the pretzel or ingredients cause an immune response because something is just there - only a very uneducated guess.
                    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

What about those who didn't have ulcers? Was the treatment effective for them?

Comment

Also curious about wolfpack's question.

Comment

Hi,
                          I just posted a question in regards to the lidocaine pretzel in another thread...what's the latest news with this device? I know they stopped the clinical trial, but I'm wondering if the company has given up all together or are they trying to modify and make changes to hopefully continue the trial????
                          "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

They are definitely not giving up. I talked with the research director. They are reevaluating the study design! Patients are still receiving treatment.. they just aren't taking any new patients. I'll post as soon as I learn more!

Jill
                            Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X