Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cold weather make your IC worse? You are not alone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Wisconsin, USA and the cold really hits us in winter too. I have found that my waterbed is one of the best therapies I can have. Every night I jump into a nice warm bed and it helps relax my muscles very quickly. It's like one huge heating pad. We've had it for almost 35 years-long before I got IC. But it would even help when I would get my monthly cramps. Peggy

Comment

Yesss.... Always worse. Im glad to see this research here as I have suspected cold making everything worse. At least im not the only one, and I can show this to my fiance- I ve been thinking of moving somewhere warmer,if cold weather is one of a case i want to move from scotland ... There is no summer here, no warmth at all! ....

Comment

All the talk in this thread has been about the cold in winter. Has anyone considered the shortness of daytime during the winter. My mood is far better when the sun shines. Does the depressing mood of darker shorter days have as much effect as cold? !!
        I agree that being tensed up because of chilliness is an added factor, but I can't help also wondering about the SADS effect.

Comment

What's your experience?? Does cold weather exacerbate your IC?

YES......I keep my room warm during winter and usually more clothing than others who don't suffer from IC.
          Diagnosed in 2005.
          Currently take Tramadol 50 mg, Amtryptiline 25 mg, and Hydroxizine 50mg at bedtime. Also take Pyridiium or Ultira-C on a rotating basis, and Gelnique as needed as well.

Comment

yes so bad worse!

Comment

Originally posted by missisola View Post
              Oh yes, I definitely get much worse when it is cold. And lucky me, I live in northern parts of Sweden where it can be - 30 C (or even colder). I can not say that I look forward to this winter because I remember how bad I felt last winter.

Each night I do the same thing; I use two heating pads, wear pyjamas and socks, use an extra blanket as well as a hot pad!
              Snap!!! Exact same here. I also live in a very cold country. Hate it. I know someone a with chronic joint/bone condition which was so bad she had to emigrate to a hotter country. I ALWAYS feel cold, even when other people are okay. I get cold very easily. Guess its cos I have thin, fair skin and maybe circulation problems. My hands and feet are the worst.

Comment

Re: Does cold weather make your IC worse? You are not alone!

I have a similar problem (I live in Canada and we frequently get Januaries and Februaries with -20 to -40 celsius...ugh). but because I'm so clenched up and bundled up all winter, I don't really feel it...and then Spring comes and I realize that I've been clenched for 2 months. I'm in the middle of that right now. Owwwwwwwch.

Comment

This is a very old thread but all of my bad memorable flares since 2011 have been during winter months. These are the types of flares that are months long. In the summer I only get mini flares. I'm wondering if my dust allergy is to blame

Comment

Originally posted by MT712 View Post
                    This is a very old thread but all of my bad memorable flares since 2011 have been during winter months. These are the types of flares that are months long. In the summer I only get mini flares. I'm wondering if my dust allergy is to blame
                    It might be. One of my children had a dust allergy as a child and there were some steps I took that helped keep the dust levels down in our house. I tried to keep his bedroom dust free --- no fuzzy blankets, no rugs. I put a waterproof zippered mattress cover on his bed to keep any dust from his mattress. Instead of using a dust rag, I used a damp cloth for dusting his room. There used to be a product called Endust that I sprayed on his drapes. Somehow his having an "almost" dust free environment for sleeping seemed to help him.

You might want to ask your doctor about testing you for dust allergy.

Donna
                    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I already got tested. I most certainly am allergic to dust with a positive skin test. Not sure if it's connected to my bladder but I only gets bad flares in the winter. Either it's seasonal depression or chronic exposure to indoor allergies.

Comment

Working...
                      X