I'm looking for a perineal heating pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a perineal heating pad

My GP is freaking out because of how I've been burning my legs with a regular heating pad. Problem is I can't get the pad against my crotch because of its shape so I have to apt up the heat for it to reach by perineal and crotch area. Is there a heating pad that will go just right there so I can actually regulate temperatures?

Personally, having ugly spider veins from slowly cooking my veins is more preferably to a flare. I told my doctor this and she pretty much said "deal with it." I only flare in the winter so this isn't an everyday occurrence, but has developed slowly. And it doesn't hurt, just makes ugly marks, but regardless saves me from bladder pain.

I saw a perineal cold pack in the shop, but I need heat.
    • 27 year old student
    • Had symptoms since I was 5
    • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
    • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
    • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
    • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

I like rice/corn heating pads. I have a couple that are rectangular (maybe 8x10) and I can put them long-end up between my legs so they cover my lower abdomen where I have the most pain but also my urethra. HTH!

Comment

I have a couple of ideas.

You could try a neck heating pad, long and narrow.

You could make your own with a sock and whole Buckwheat.

I bought a triangluar shaped heating pad from the IC shop here, I like it it has some weight to it so it stays in place and puts a bit of pressure on my AB.

I am not really a fan of the type you heat in the microwave, because they start off hot and cool off, I like a constant heat.

BTW: I too have used a heating pad to the point of looking like I have a rash all over from using it too much too hot, but sometimes it is the only thing I can get any relief from. Some night I have to change my PJ's in the night from sweating.

Good Luck
      My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mothergoose View Post
        I have a couple of ideas.

You could try a neck heating pad, long and narrow.

You could make your own with a sock and whole Buckwheat.

I bought a triangluar shaped heating pad from the IC shop here, I like it it has some weight to it so it stays in place and puts a bit of pressure on my AB.

I am not really a fan of the type you heat in the microwave, because they start off hot and cool off, I like a constant heat.

BTW: I too have used a heating pad to the point of looking like I have a rash all over from using it too much too hot, but sometimes it is the only thing I can get any relief from. Some night I have to change my PJ's in the night from sweating.

Good Luck
        Ah yes, I made one like that before in the girlscouts but agree that I need CONSTANT heat. I saw the triangular one but it seemed more for those with pain on the abdomen rathert han those of us with urgency sensations in the crotch, urethral/perineal area. Does it reach down there?

I have some interesting purple vein looking things running down my inner thighs that freaked my GP out. I'm like "my legs burning feels a lot better than my bladder hurt."

her: "But you're burning yourself, you need to stop!"

me:"but I HURT"

her: "Here, let me prescribe you some anti-anxiety medication and maybe you should get some more vitamin D since it can effect pain and the nervous system"

...somehow when ever ODing on Soma and valium doesn't put a dent in the worst flares, I doubt those two medications will solve the HURT problem.. she also told me to "get out more" and "don't let it run your life or put your talents to waste."

My talents are here, on the web.. as for getting out more? Walking during the winter can trigger a spasm. I kept repeating, "I HURT" but my point never really got across.
        • 27 year old student
        • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
        • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
        • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
        • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

Comment

A mini hot water bottle? The kind you see if gift packs for people that are really no use for keeping you warm but may be small enough? Don't do what I did and sit on a one you heat in boiling water. It burst - Burns to the vulva are not nice
          TMJ Dysfunction 2009
          Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
          IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
          PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
          Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
          Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
          Endep 25mg - 4months
          Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
          Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
          Countless creams, lotions and potions.
          Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
          PT - for 1 year
          Various herbs and supplements

Comment

Yeah, but those lose heat.
            • 27 year old student

Comment

Yeah, I have those spider veins to my butt and back of my legs too. Not attractive, but most nights the only way I can sleep is with the heating pad on there. I hope it's not doing something else bad for me besides making my rear end unsightly... Sigh. There's no dignity to this @#$% disease!
              Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
              I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
              Source - Pinterest
              "

Current treatments:
              -IC diet
              -Elavil 50mg at night
              -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
              -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
              -Pyridium if needed,
              -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
              -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
              -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
              -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
              -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
              -Managing stress= VERY important!
              -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Originally posted by kadi View Post
                Yeah, I have those spider veins to my butt and back of my legs too. Not attractive, but most nights the only way I can sleep is with the heating pad on there. I hope it's not doing something else bad for me besides making my rear end unsightly... Sigh. There's no dignity to this @#$% disease!
                If I ever start feeling that way I plan on covering them up with tattoos. Awesome vine, perhaps thorny, vines.

It's just my GP was acting like I was dying or something.
                • 27 year old student

Comment

Re: I'm looking for a perineal heating pad

I Googled "heating pad for perineum" and found this thread and also stumbled across an electric heating pad designed for the perineum and pelvic area called "Wearapad". It's sells for $19.95. There is a you-tube video on it. It is something to check out. I am not a doctor, nor do a play one on TV. I am just looking for ways to comfort the pain of flares until I have my first PT session on 11/4/13.

Comment

I was just talking about this w/my husband. Someone needs to design a pad in a "T" shape for the female ICer's. I use the microwavable pads for neck but even they're thick and uncomfortable, especially when sitting. Electric heating pads scare me...too easy to burn. I've ordered the instant heating pads from the ICN Shop. They're marvelous...last 12 hours...I'm not kidding! Only problem is they're made in squares. You stick them to your panties and that's great for your abdominal area but you can't cut them to fit in the perineal area. I was desperate one day because I knew I'd be out all day and I was flaring. So I ended putting on a pair of spanx that came down to the thigh and this allowed me to put the pad between my legs. It was heaven to have that heat for a full 12 hours (longer in my case) and it certainly made my hectic day more bearable. You don't have to by these from the ICN Shop. I think pharmacies usually carry them.
                    **************************************************************

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
                    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

From what I see, this pad is electric. I went ahead and ordered one, so I will make a point of posting my experience with it. I currently have an electric heating pad on my abdomen and it is very comforting. I would love to have a way to apply heat to and loosen my pelvic floor muscles. I put a Thermacare pad in my underwear in a similar fashion as what you are describing. Only problem I found was that unless I had my underwear pulled up to my chest Steve Urkel fashion, I could not get the heat close enough to my perineum. Again, I will play consumer reporter and let everyone know how this works.

Comment

UPDATE: I think I got stung! I paid my money and have received nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ICNeil View Post
                          UPDATE: I think I got stung! I paid my money and have received nothing.
                          By all means, if you were scammed on the internet, contact your credit card company and alert them --- and ask them to delete the charge to your account.

That's terrible!

Donna
                          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yeah, my pain management dr saw me take off my wearable heating pad as I was degpwning for a nerve block and saw the red marks and was like, "stop wearing those, they can cause those marks to be permanent, it's not good for your skin" I looked straight at him and said, "I cannot function without it. I will not stop and I don't care what you say" the layed down and ignored him lol. It's called survival.

For my crotch which I desperately need I made several small shaped ones with rice by sewing little pad shaped ones. On the go I use those heating pads for your hands or the inserts from the back ones. I put a thin babywash cloth over it to protect my skin and wear yoga type underwear that hold it in place the best.
                            Diagnosed with IC 2008 via in office cystoscopy and symptoms

Current treatments:
                            -At home rescue instillations as needed
                            - IC diet
                            - Meds for IC: Vistaril (I have tried a TON but discontinued all but the Vistaril)

Other diagnosis - Urethral Syndrome, Vulvodynia, PFD, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, Pudendal Neuralgia (Clitoral Branch)

Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted July 31, 2013

Comment

I assume you fill them with uncooked rice? Heat them in the microwave? How long does the rice hold the heat?

Luckily, I bought the heating pad through Paypal and just put in a dispute with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X