I'm looking for a perineal heating pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm looking for a perineal heating pad

I just got back from a vacation. I used the heating pads that heat up when the air hits them and the heat lasts 12 hours. But never would I put them against my skin. As a matter of fact, the package warns not to. I do what you do for the perineal area...I wear a yoga type under garment but I attach the pad to that, NOT my skin... OUCH!. But I'll tell you, that continuous heat those pads give for that long is a godsend when your traveling or simply at work. Again, the key is to put them over under garments, not under.

I sat down not too long ago and drew up a design for a heating pad for IC'ers. It's in a T shape so that part is covering the perineal area and the other is going across the bladder area. The problem is thinking of how to keep these pads thin so people can wear them all day without feeling as if they have a bulge in their pants. But alas, I'm not a designer, just a poor gal with IC trying to find an answer. I just can't imagine why someone hasn't developed something like this.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

Originally posted by ICNeil View Post
      I assume you fill them with uncooked rice? Heat them in the microwave? How long does the rice hold the heat?

Luckily, I bought the heating pad through Paypal and just put in a dispute with them.
      Yes, uncooked rice or unbuttered popcorn kernels (I actually prefer the popcorn for home for the weight). For large ones that I sewed into a hand towel or a long tube sock tied at the end I do 4 minute and the heat lasts for atleast and hr and often much longer. The tiny ones I made for the perineal area it doesn't hold the heat long and I put it in for maybe a minute in the microwave. the air activated heat pads are much better for that but can get pricey if you use them a lot.
      Diagnosed with IC 2008 via in office cystoscopy and symptoms

Current treatments:
      -At home rescue instillations as needed
      - IC diet
      - Meds for IC: Vistaril (I have tried a TON but discontinued all but the Vistaril)

Other diagnosis - Urethral Syndrome, Vulvodynia, PFD, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, Pudendal Neuralgia (Clitoral Branch)

Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted July 31, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by LoriSue View Post
        I just got back from a vacation. I used the heating pads that heat up when the air hits them and the heat lasts 12 hours. But never would I put them against my skin. As a matter of fact, the package warns not to. I do what you do for the perineal area...I wear a yoga type under garment but I attach the pad to that, NOT my skin... OUCH!. But I'll tell you, that continuous heat those pads give for that long is a godsend when your traveling or simply at work. Again, the key is to put them over under garments, not under.

I sat down not too long ago and drew up a design for a heating pad for IC'ers. It's in a T shape so that part is covering the perineal area and the other is going across the bladder area. The problem is thinking of how to keep these pads thin so people can wear them all day without feeling as if they have a bulge in their pants. But alas, I'm not a designer, just a poor gal with IC trying to find an answer. I just can't imagine why someone hasn't developed something like this.

I LOVE the T shape idea. I might have to see what I can make! I would have to be a bulky one that wouldn't be wearable but better than heating up 2! thanks!
        Diagnosed with IC 2008 via in office cystoscopy and symptoms

Current treatments:
        -At home rescue instillations as needed
        - IC diet
        - Meds for IC: Vistaril (I have tried a TON but discontinued all but the Vistaril)

Other diagnosis - Urethral Syndrome, Vulvodynia, PFD, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, Pudendal Neuralgia (Clitoral Branch)

Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted July 31, 2013

Comment

Oh my lord, that T Shape is fantastic! that would be great!

Currently I use a heating pad at home that can't be worn, called a Warm Buddy:

It comes in lots of shapes (pillows, towel-sized, etc.) Mine's the 'Spa Wrap' with 'Aromatherapy', about the length of my pelvis, from hipbone to hipbone, and the width of, say, my bellybutton to the top of my pubis, I guess. It's filled with buckwheat and lavender, so it smells SUPER nice and calms your nerves as well as your physical pain

You heat it up in the microwave 2:30-3 mins on high, or you can freeze it for a few hours to make it real cold. As a heat pad, it's been a godsend.
          Last edited by ICNDonna; 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed sales site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary381 View Post
            Yes, uncooked rice or unbuttered popcorn kernels (I actually prefer the popcorn for home for the weight). For large ones that I sewed into a hand towel or a long tube sock tied at the end I do 4 minute and the heat lasts for atleast and hr and often much longer. The tiny ones I made for the perineal area it doesn't hold the heat long and I put it in for maybe a minute in the microwave. the air activated heat pads are much better for that but can get pricey if you use them a lot.
            I would be very hesitant to put a grain heat pad in the microwave for four minutes --- it would get too hot --- possibly even catch fire. Popcorn isn't a very good choice since it might start popping and then can scorch. I have heard that regular corn, wheat, and rice are all good to make microwave heating pads. The pads that are actually made to put over the eyes might be a good option. Some of the gel pads can be warmed. When I was a little girl my mother would put salt in a canvas bag and warm it in the oven to use as heat pads. I haven't tried that, but it might work well.

I know it's not the safest thing possible, but I sometimes sit on my heat pad --- only if I'm awake though.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Any one here Benifits from pelvic floor therapy??? Please help

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy1980 View Post
                I have read that a very high percentage of pelvic pain involves the pelvic floor muscles, as high as 88%. If you have access to a pelvic floor physical therapist in your area, that is probably the place to start. If insurance, finances or distance precludes seeing a properly-qualified PT, there are self-help books out there that will teach you exercises that will help stretch and strengthen the pelvic floor. The best thing is to start out with professional guidance and go from there. That's the path I have taken and with trigger point therapy and stretching and yoga at home have learned to isolate and relax my pelvic floor. I am now on a long and slow road to eventual recovery. I am not sure I can give specific book titles here. I learned a lot by Googling. Good luck on your journey.

Comment

I use a regular heating pad. I put in in a pillowcase with a travel pillow (about 1/2 size of a normal pillow) and fold it in half so the pillow is against my skin. It takes a few minutes to heat up through the pillow, but it is a mild comforting heat that does not burn. It is rather bulky, but works better than anything else. I wish someone would market an electric heating pad with a very low heat. I need mine the most during the last half of the night, and do not want to wake the family up with the microwave.

Comment

Have you tried Yomogi Mugwort Heat Pads? you have to get them from japan but they are essentially a heated maxi pad. They don't get super hot but work great on my urethral pain. I wear them to work as I am on my feet all day long. they last about 8 hours or so.
                    Last edited by ICNDonna; 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM. Reason: removed link to sales site

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy1980 View Post
                      I just moved away from the Dallas area. I had a couple of great physical therapists. They helped me learn some exercises to do and some to not do. They also taught me how to do small tissue manipulation therapy. That has helped a lot as it is something I can do on myself. They were with the Baylor rehab at Plano Baylor. I do not know if I will find a physical therapist who specializes in women's therapy in Kentucky.

Comment

Working...
                      X