lower abdominal swelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower abdominal swelling

My bladder pain (with swelling) has dramatically decreased over the last month... but I've noticed this week that my uncomfortable abdominal swelling is back (around my bladder). I shouldn't even really complaining about it since my pain isn't bad at all.

Does anyone else experience this swelling? And what do you do to decrease the swelling?
    "Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in insults, in cases of need,
    in persecutions and difficulties, for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am powerful."

- 2 Corinthians 12:10
    (New World Transl.)

I think many IC patients experience this -- we call it the "IC Belly." It's tough to get rid of unfortunately. I have not yet found an effective way to reduce it during flares, but I wish I could, because it's quite uncomfortable!!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I have not found any way to get rid of IC belly either, but will watch this thread in case someone responds with a remedy!

All I can say is thank goodness for elastic waistbands!

Vicki
      "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

Keep salt intake down & constipation managed somehow (for me Fibercon every morning), I know for me that those things make it much worse. Other than that, no brilliant insights, will be watching this thread also
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

thanks kadi. I think I'll try to keep my salt down.
          "Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in insults, in cases of need,
          in persecutions and difficulties, for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am powerful."

- 2 Corinthians 12:10
          (New World Transl.)

Comment

Magnesium capsules have helped me & helps with the abdomin swelling i go every day now!
            I use (Country Life) Magnesium Caps 300mg each i take one a day!
            You will see results in a few days!

Good Luck

Comment

The first thing I notice when a flare is starting is a puffy, swollen belly! I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one that suffers from this. It stays swollen for the duration of the flare and them some. When I'm feeling normal, no flare, then my belly is flatter and the difference is amazing. Don't know what to do about it. I'll try cutting down on salt, but that's hard because sometimes the only way to make my food taste good is to salt it. I'm in a flare right now that just won't go away! I've been fighting this one for over a week with only minimal relief.Pain in the pelvic area, burning, swollen belly, feeling like I have to urinate all the time, it's just so depressing. Tried all my tricks to get rid of it and nothing seems to work this time. I finally used Benedryl today and got some relief for a few hours. Now it's back and I'm about ready to lose it!
              Barbie

Comment

I look like I'm 4 months pregnant all the time. Depressing on those summer days when you pull out your bathing suit. I've even had people ask my parents if I was "expecting". Oh great !
                Jen ...

Comment

Did you try the 1teaspoon baking soda in a 8 oz glass of water? works in 5min for me
                  Try it !
                  Check you diet....

Good Luck

Comment

Gently massaging/tickling with the tips of my fingers over my belly has a very relaxing effect, or having my fiance do it. My PT also use to take the palm of her hand and apply pressure to different areas of my belly a few seconds at a time. She said that as you apply pressure to a tense muscle, it will eventually give in and relax. My Pt was the first person to take a look at my belly. She said it was a big sign of IC and VV. I never have had a dr. look at my belly.

Sharing-What does magnesium do for the belly?

Comment

Oh yeah, I get it too! In the beginning, right before and right at diagnosis, I was wondering why I was having to wear my PMS/period jeans all the time!!! Now I know why, and mine comes and goes with flares too, and shows up during PMS, as usual, ugh. Time to drag out the period pants again......LOL

Tracey
                      Hugs,
                      Tracey
                      How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
                      IC dx'd Nov 2004
                      Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
                      Possible IBS
                      Current IC Meds
                      Vistaril 25mg in the evening
                      Previous IC Meds taken:
                      Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
                      Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
                      Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
                      Others:
                      Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
                      Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
                      Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
                      Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

I also have always had IC belly with flares. Ugh. Hate it. I always "looked pregnant" even when I wasn't.
                        ~TRACEY~ Wife and Mother of three beautiful
                        children.

Comment

This is so ironic that I started reading the message board today. I thought I had been gaining weight, but my 'swollen' belly must be because I am having a serious flare up currently! Thanks for the insight!
                          What I wouldn't give for a glass of Orange Juice!

"Outings are so much more fun when we can savor them through a child's eyes."
                          ~Lawana Blackwell

Comment

I am also soooo bloated

There are certain foods/medicines that make it worse for me. Coffee and now I just found out antibiotics. I was on them for 7 days (had to do 10) and was ok, but on the 6th day I started to get sooo bloated, and by the evening I was bending over in so much pain. The next day I could barely urinate without screaming. So I am blaming the antibiotics. The nurse told me to discontinue it. I am better but still swollen.

Comment

Re: lower abdominal swelling

Originally posted by Saradee View Post
                              My bladder pain (with swelling) has dramatically decreased over the last month... but I've noticed this week that my uncomfortable abdominal swelling is back (around my bladder). I shouldn't even really complaining about it since my pain isn't bad at all.

Does anyone else experience this swelling? And what do you do to decrease the swelling?
                              I get a terrible swollen, bloated tummy during a flare and my tummy feels so tense and tight, more painful than being pregnant!

Comment

Working...
                              X