No Peeing On The Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Peeing On The Plane

No only is flying difficult in the first place, but if yo have to go to the bathroom as soon as you get on or soon after take-off, you're not allowed to.

At least, I have been refused just about every single time.

I've even tried just getting up and going without asking and lo and behold there's a flight attendant refusing right there to deny me relief of my pain.

I try to explain to them but they just say over and over again, "its regulation" that no one can use the bathroom during boarding or during the safety brief (but of course right after that you are taxiing and taking off and you also can't go).

Once though I had a very nice male at first say no, and then, after a few minutes of him glancing in my direction and seeing how obviously uncomfortable I was, he snuck back down the aisle and whispered "If its really an emeregency and you can be quick go ahead". Yes!

AND, at least as far as US Airways goes, I had a fligth attendant admit to me that she wasn't allowed to give me permission to go to the bathroom, but she wouldn't stop me if I needed to go. I can live with that.

My husband lives in Virginia Beach and I in Washington state so I'm looking at a five-hour flight no begin with.

One thing that helped before I had those BodiHeat heating pads (which rock! (much better than Thermacare) I called ahead and explained that I had a medical problem and if I brought a microwaveable heating pad would they be able to heat it up for me upon request? They agreed! Something to keep in mind...
    -Taryn Vollrath

Dx 2007 while in the Navy. Medical (honorable) discharge.
    Interstim 2008. Emergency removal of Interstim 2010 which nearly paralyzed me from the waist down.
    When I was first dx, I was literally on a shoebox full of meds. Now I am down to diet management, yoga, meditation, and only during flares Tramadol. Still go to ER on occasion for flares however due to the intense spasms my bladder does. Looking into Botox for said issue.

My IC took my first marriage within a year. But I am remarried, with a step daughter, and doing fan-tab-u-lous! You can get there, ladies!!

Consistently looking for ways to be proactive about a situation.
    My healing must start with my thoughts.

"The acceptable and the unacceptable are both acceptable." -Tao Te Ching
    OOMM

Have you ever tried handing them your IC medical card you can get here on this site? Might make them at least realized that its medically neccessary to let you use the restroom. It makes me so mad that everywhere you go these places are catering to every disability but ours!!!!!

Comment

I have an inlaw who's a pilot, and unfortunately FAA regulations do infact state that nobody can be moving about the cabin while taxiing, taking off and landing.
      I have found that informing the gate employee (and any other airlinen personel) of the bathroom issue, they'll allow you ample time to use the restroom on the concourse/terminal immediately before boarding (ex: once I hear my seat assignment called, thats my cue to go to the restroom); by the time i finish and board its time for departure. I also inform flight attendants of the issue and ask them to inform me 5 minutes before the fasten seatbelts sign comes on signaling a landing. This again gives me ample time to use the restroom, return to my seat and be comfortable during the landing. I've flown several times-all cross country flights-since the IC diagnosis and have never had an issue regarding bathroom visits following this advice.

Hopefully you're experience flying cross-country will be just as easy.
      Take care.
      Diana
      PS--and welcome to Hampton Roads!
      (\__/)
      (o.O )
      (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Another thing that may help is letting them know ahead of time, giving your flight number, etc. That way the flight attendants will be watching for you and will do their best to meet your needs. I also go to the bathroom immediately before boarding, then again when I'm close to my destination.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I do about the same thing. When the line is forming for my ticket area, I'm in the bathroom. I usually chose my seat according to the bathroom placement. I have on occasion run to the bathroom right after they say they are landing. I have so little pee in me that it hardly takes any time anyway. I'm out before the attendant can get down the aisle to tell me to stay in my seat! Once one called down the aisle and said to go to my seat and I called back - sorry it's an emergency! She didn't make it up the aisle in time.

Comment

Haha! The last time I pulled that one, after I came out, the captain came over the intersom and stated they would be locking the bathrooms for the remainder of the flight.

I should pull that card out more often! I bought it for a reason!

I do usually try to get an aisle seat back by the bathroom, but this isn't always possible.

I do go right before I board. If I'm really not feeling good, I let the gate guard know that I'm here but I won't be boarding until the last call because I'll need to use the bathroom.

The main problems usually come when I think I'm fine...and then suddenly I'm not. Or when we're stuck on the flightline...

If it gets bad enough, my next tactic will be to whip out my port-a-john thing and tell them if I can't go to the bathroom then I'll have to go in my seat--yes, its that bad.

We all understand the importance of having regulations, but we also understand the importance of being able to pee when we need to!
            -Taryn Vollrath

Dx 2007 while in the Navy. Medical (honorable) discharge.
            Interstim 2008. Emergency removal of Interstim 2010 which nearly paralyzed me from the waist down.
            When I was first dx, I was literally on a shoebox full of meds. Now I am down to diet management, yoga, meditation, and only during flares Tramadol. Still go to ER on occasion for flares however due to the intense spasms my bladder does. Looking into Botox for said issue.

My IC took my first marriage within a year. But I am remarried, with a step daughter, and doing fan-tab-u-lous! You can get there, ladies!!

Consistently looking for ways to be proactive about a situation.
            My healing must start with my thoughts.

"The acceptable and the unacceptable are both acceptable." -Tao Te Ching
            OOMM

Comment

Working...
            X