Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• earthlady
    replied
    That is a good question. I know in the beginning if I ate anything I wasn't sure of I would take a couple tums right after I ate out of paranoia so maybe it helped, but I guess I'll never know. I never had the nerve to try something like red wine or regular coffee just to experiment because I know now what it does to me.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I hear you Claire. While I am very conscience about the need to try new things (so I don't end up scared to try anything not on the IC approved diet ever) it's still hard. At least for me when I flare I am triggering depression and anxiety from before I got my diagnosis and was in so much despair. I try to remember that if I flare now I have all the tools (meds) and knowledge I didn't back then to get me through it. It's still a struggle for me though.

Leave a comment:

• Claire_A
    replied
    i have been thinking about this one too. Last time i drank a week or so a go i was very careful and had no pain but then i decided to try coffee a day later which caused me pain and must have tipped it over the edge. I did not use the flare tactics immediatly after the coffee and i wonder if i did would it have stopped the pain. Im too sacred to try again.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I've had diagnosed IC for 36 years and I still wouldn't try it. When I'm stuck in a Mexican restaurant, I will order either a crisp bean burrito (after asking exactly what's in it) or a plain hamburger --- most places will have hamburgers.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    That's a good point about pain. Since I don't experience pain the possibility probably sounds more appealing to me. The only thing I would be really worried about is loss of sleep for more than a few days.

If I knew I would get frequency for like 3-5 hours and then be done with the flare I SO would take that choice.

I am too chicken to try it yet. I have no idea as of yet how long my flare from that would last.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    For me, it doesn't work. I tried in the beginning, to eat things along with Prelief, but I still had the flare and the interruption of quality of life that happens with it. For me, it's just not worth it and I don't think I'd even enjoy the food now, knowing from painful experience that I can be sick for several days afterwards. I wish I had a better answer for you, but for me, that's kind of just how it is.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    started a topic IC flare treatments BEFORE a flare?

IC flare treatments BEFORE a flare?

Hello all!

I was just curious. Since there are several steps given to help reduce a flare as soon as you feel one coming on, are there any of you who eat/drink things you know you can't have and right after start on these things? I mean the Prelief, the Baking Soda in water, the Tums, even a pain med and a Pyridium?

I am just curious as to the success rate that would have. Obviously you wouldn't do this multiple times a day and throughout each week. But if like your family is going to a Mexican restaurant for someone's birthday and you really want to be able to eat one of your no-no menu items there etc. Would you feel able to eat that or those things and come home right away and do all the 'coping with flares' techniques with success?
Working...
X