Flare from cold or Lyrica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare from cold or Lyrica?

I've been trying to fight off this cold that has been coming on for a few days and it finally caught up with me. My glands are swollen, my head is congested and my body aches terribly. In the middle of all this I started flaring form something. The pain was pretty bad monday night so I started to do some research. The avocados that I was eating were probably causing me bladder pain. Who new? I found this info in Dr. Larrian Gillespies book on IC. Avocados are on the foods to avoid. OK..so I stop eating them and pray the flare will subside. To help it along I decided that I needed to get on some medication. My dr. had previously prescribed Lyrica for the burning. I took it a few months ago but can't remember why I stopped taking it after 4 days. I decided to give Lyrica another try. I took it tues but was still having pain. I took it again last night after I thought I was getting better and wound up in more pain an hour later. There are so many things going on that I can't pinpoint why I am having all this pain. I know that I am sensitive to a lot of meds and they can cause me to flare but this cold also hit really hard so that's a possibility too. All I know is that I was up all night peeing and in terrible bladder pain. At the same time my cold and congestion got worse too.hmmmmmmmmmm
    has anyone else had problems with Lyrica causing bladder pain?
    Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

Well, I take Lyrica (150mg 2x a day) and I find it helps some of the sharp, shooting bladder pain, and it does wonders for my fibromyalgia. So, no, I haven't experienced increased pain from the med, but we are all different... it is possible it could be affecting you. Maybe a call to the doc is in order?

Also, I ALWAYS flare when I have a cold... that could be it, too.

Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I think I will lay off of it until this cold is better. Then I'll give it one more try and see if my bladder is ok with it. I really do need something for the burning. I seem to have burning in my legs and feet too that gets worse when I flare! I took neurontin years ago for fibro but I don't remember how much it really helped my bladder as I was still having problems and flaring so often.....especially with food. I've learned so much about my trigger foods these past few years.
      Yes, cold make me flare too so it could be that.
      I am going to do a search here for Lyrica because I might find an old post of mine that will give me more info as to how I felt taking it. I might have posted something. I really need to keep an IC journal so that I can refer back when I have suspicions about foods or meds.
      Hoe you have a good day.
      Thanks,
      Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

Comment

I too, flare with a cold, or anything that is making sick somewhere else in my body. It is strange, but i was getting ready to start the Lyrica per my Dr's prescription, but along with many food and drug allergies, i a a bit scared. Can Lyrica be halved or reduced, by emptying partially? i know this is a medical question, but I thought maybe one of you would know. It swear; I think almost anything we take can "act out" on us, who are drug sensitive.

Hope you feel better real soon~!
        Katheryn

Comment

My husband reminded me that most times when I get a cold, flu or virus my bladder tends to flare up with pain, swelling and frequency. I was already in a flare form food so I guess this cold just made it worse.
          As for the Lyrica, the normal dose is 75 mg but my dr gave me a baby dose of 25 mg capsules. I guess you could open the capsule and put it in a plain gelatin capsule. Sometimes that helps me although I have not tried it with the Lyrica although sometimes you just flare from the drug itseld. I was reading "You Don't Have to Live with Cystitis" by Larrian Gillespie, MD and she says there are certain meds that IC patients are more sensitive to that may cause a flare. Sure enough the meds that I flared form were on the list. Unfortunately, Lyrica came out after th book was published. I have to say though, that a lot of girls here do take it and do well with it at even much larger doses. Maybe you should try it when you don't have anywhere to go just in case you do flare. Start with the smallest amount.
          Good luck, I know how you feel.
          Mel

Comment

I flare alot with a cold. Especially if I add cold meds to the mix. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Not taking any meds I already learned my lesson with that. The only thing I am taking is tylenol. I bet it's this damn virus running through my bladder! What a sight!
              Mel

Comment

Working...
              X