Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

See, flares really DO hurt, not our imagination!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori, I don't know if that is what they mean... the choice of the word "predict" in that context is not that good in my opinion, for the reasons you smartly described! To my knowledge, there really is no way to predict how someone's going to react to something even if they've had a thorough psychological exam...

So, what I'll do is try to get the entire article when I'm at work tomorrow from the medical school library. We may have full-text access to this journal, and if so I will be able to read the article as a whole. That often helps; the abstract is just a summary of what's been done and, because scientists are human, the abstract is not necessarily always well written... LOL

I will let you know if I am able to get access and can send you the article via email if I am and you would like it. However, we don't have access to all journals, so it's possible all we have to go on is the abstract... I'll keep you updated.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thank you so much, Jen, I really appreciate it! I think that others might be interested in reading the whole thing, too, if it could be e-mailed to us.

I'm just curious because I've had several doctors over the years (most of them just lately) telling me it's essentially mind over the body - that I could use the power of my mind to think my pain away.

Now, I already know about relaxation techniques to take some of the stress out of the pain, and distraction techniques to help me focus on other things and ignore the pain, but I haven't been able to actually reduce the pain level, it seems to stay the same.

So if these people know of a way to do that - to make the pain go away without meds - I really want to know how!

I agree with you that the word "predict" doesn't seem to be an appropriate word here, unless they really truly CAN predict, before it happens, the outcome and pain levels of this disease.

Blessings, and thank you so much,
      Lori

Comment

Lori, unfortunately we do NOT have access to this journal from our library... it's sort of obscure, so that's why I wasn't positive about it in the first place.

Ugh... I hate it when that happens.
        Jen

*Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thank you so much for trying, Jen! I know how busy you are at work, and I appreciate the time and effort you expended trying to find this out.

I've been trying to guess what they meant by cognitive factors predicting the levels of pain...what I came up with for a guess is this:

Maybe what they meant is, given exactly the same painful stimuli, one person will report more pain than the other, because of different cognitive factors (how they perceive pain, etc.)

Do you think that might have possibly been what they meant? Otherwise, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Blessings, and thank you so much again,
          Lori

Comment

Yes, Lori, I think you're right. I don't think they can predict pain levels ahead of time, but yes, I do think they are referring to the difference between people's perception of flare pain.
            Jen

Comment

Working...
            X