Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cathing cause infections??

Hey Gals.
    Yesterday after having my second instill, I still could not pee it out afterwards so I had my husband cath it out. Last time I could not pee after the instill either for some reason. But after the medicine is cathed out, I usually am am able to pee better as time goes on.
    My question is, I asked the nurse yesterday about the risk of infection. My doctor gave me 1 macrobid antibiotic to take before I have the instill. She said this would protect me from getting any infection from the catheter. Well, how long does 1 pill potect me? I mean I have to take it about an hour or two before I have the instill. Like yesterday I took the pill at 9 O'clock in the morning and had the instill at around 11:30 . Well when I went home and had to cath the stuff out, it was like 1:30 or so. I was so worried about getting an infection from the cath.
    The nurse told me to just wash the area down there and that would be fine. She said the antibiotic should protect me for 48 hours. I was worried about it incase I was not able to pee all night or something and had to keep cathing (which thank the Lord did not happen). But the nurse also said that if you cath at home and just make sure you wash the area good before cathing, that you should not get an infection.
    I had some antiseptic wipes with betadine that I used before having my husband cath the stuff out though just to be on the safe side. I just do not want an infection to deal with on top of the IC as it always makes me feel 100 times worse!
    I just wanted to know what you gals thought about that, if cathing always causes an infection? Or if 1 pill is enough to protect against an infection before having the instill. Thanks.
    Jen

I found by washing the area first with a baby wipe and using anti bacterial soap to wash the cath with I have not had one UTI as of yet. Last time I tried doing it at home without the baby wipes and soap I got one . I've never have taken any antibiotic before having an instill done. You can get a UTI anytime something is inserted but all the years I have had the instills done at the doc's maybe 3 UTIs which isn't bad at all. That would be 3 UTIs in I think 7 years.

Comment

Cathing absolutely does not "always" cause infection. However, any time we insert a catheter it does increase the potential for infection. If you use clean procedure, meaning thorough hand washing, clean catheter, and cleansed the area around your urethra before inserting the catheter, it's unlikely that you have an infection.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I got a cath yesterday, and I have an uti today. This is the first time I have got one from cathing though. My uro also gave me a levoquin after he cathed me....oh well I'll take a uti over a flare anyday!

Erika
        IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
        Interstim Since 5/25/07!
        Birth Control

Comment

Wow, I am suprised you got an infection even after being given an antibiotic. Maybe because you took the antibiotic afterwards, though I am not sure. My doc said to take it a hour or two before the instills. I personally would not chose an infection as that is was makes my flares severe. How do you know you have an infection? Did you have a culture or did the dipstick pick it up?
          Jen

Comment

Your right jen, maybe if he gave it to me before it could have prevented it. Well I can just tell, its strange. I get almost an itchy feeling in the bladder when I get infections, and my uro called in antis for me . I do have test strips and they were positive. I just call and say I have an infection and what the strips say and they order cipro. The only thing is, if I dont have an infection the cipro causes a huge flare. What lead me to beleive it was an infection to begin with was the itchy feeling and MASSIVE pressure that in my case is unique to utis. I would describe it as that itchy sore feeling you get with strep throat. I will get a culture done on monday just to be sure, although an infection will most likley be gone by then, oh well I feel better already thats another way I know its an infection if the antis help. Hope this helps.

Erika

Current Treatments:
            Interstim Since 5/25/07!
            Birth Control

Comment

Well, I hope you feel better real soon. You are lucky to have such a good doc who will prescribe anti-Bs for you without a culture. My doc would never do that. I would have to suffer the weekend until I could drop off a culture on Monday and still suffer another three days to get the results of the culture. That happened to me last time and I had a Huge UTI. I suffered for a couple weeks after that even.
              Jen

Comment

oh no!!! thats terrible! Yeah I feel better already and I have only taken one dose! its amazing how great they work when you have an infection. I am itching like crazy from the vicoden. Oh well its a small price to pay for pain releif!

Erika

Current Treatments:
                Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                Birth Control

Comment

Erika, I've had where the eurethra itched all the way inside the bladder. Drives me batty since I can't really itch it. Never had a UTI with mine. Maybe it is another IC problem?

Comment

You know what, it sure could be! It could be that the infection stirs up that IC symptom. They did say that it could be allergy related, so i'm sure that a high possibility especailly if others like you get that darn itchy feeling. This is graphic but it itches so bad I would like to stick a knitting needle there to itch my bladder Bad idea though.

Erika

Current Treatments:
                    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                    Birth Control

Comment

I just wonder if I have an infection from the cath yesterday. Though I did take a prevenative macrobid antibiotic. I cant tell if it is just pain from the instill yesterday or if I am getting a UTI. This stinks because I cant tell the difference sometimes if I am getting a UTI or if it is just my bladder acting up.
                      I did not have this much pain even yesterday. My hubby said maybe it I did not have as much pain yesterday because I had the instill and that numbing stuff in it and that now since it is wearing off, I am feeling the pain. I wish those dipstick tests were reliable, but they never pick up my infectons. Not even the doctors office ones pick up my infections. Weird. I have about 7 cipro pills here at home that I had left over from awhile back, and keep them for in case of an emergecy, but would only want to take them if I knew I had an infection for sure. And it figures, I always get sick on the weekend when there are no doctors around.
                      I am just thinking I may have gotten an infection from when I had to use the cath twice, once when the nurse put the stuff in and again when I had to cath the stuff out. We were careful thogugh. I mean I even used the pivodine/iodine or what they are wipe to clean the urethra first. Plus I took a prevenative antibiotic before the instill. Maybe it is just the IC causing me extra pain, I dont know. Thanks for listening.
                      Jen
                      Jen

Comment

Erika, I though the same thing with the knitting needle and I have plenty to choose from. Not sure I would want to knit a sweater with it afterwards though.

Jen, I would give it a few days. Your bladder will be irrated just from the cath being put in. I know mine did in the beginning. The only way I cuold tell if I had a UTI was if I was getting up more to pee at night or the irratation in the eurethra and bladder was really bad beyond dealing with. I've never bought store UTI kits. Didn't know antying about them until I started reading about people buying them on the boards.

Comment

Sometimes jen, cleanliness doesn't matter. But please continue trying to be as sterile as possible! I got this one from an office cysto and a post-void residual cathing. You could have eaten off the floors in th uros office and he used the orange cleaning stuff and everything. For some reason it just causes them, and I dont know why. And like I already said I have been cathed several times and scoped twice and this is the first time it has happened, its not too common. Hang in there, I do believe the stress of knowing you can't be seen during the weekend contributes to flares. I always seem to start flaring over the weekend.
                          Waterflow, im glad im not alone with the knitting needle. hehehe
                          Erika

Current Treatments:
                          Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                          Birth Control

Comment

Thanks waterflow. I guess I will wait it out a day or so and see what happens. Until then me and my good friend heating pad will be spending some time together.
                            Jen

Comment

Working...
                            X