Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Reaction to med!!

Hey ladies.
    Well, I had my appointment with the new urogyne yesterday. He is very, very , nice. One of the nicest doctors I have met.
    Well, I told him of all the pain I was having and he did an instill using heperain and lydocaine only. I believe it was 40,000 units of heperain, and lidocaine, I believe 12ccs. I felt alot worse pain after the instill though. Also I felt my baldder or urethra, not sure which one, kept spasming afterwards.
    He gave me a script for a pain med called norrco to take. It is tylenol with hydrocodone I believe. Anyways, I took one last night and boy did I get sooooo sick. I had to have my hubby actually call the doctor in the middle of the night. I had severe nausea, and I mean so bad I could not move at all or I would throw up. I took the med at 8:30 last night, and I am still feeling really sick now and it is 2:30 in the afternoon. I also am having urinary difficulties. I am wondering if the pain med also causes this. I wonder if the heperain could have caused this reaction, or maybe that mixed with the pain med. I dont know.
    The doctor actually even called me this morning to see how I was. He talked to me for like almost half an hour. He is such a nice doctor and very caring.He seems like he really is sincere about helping his patients. He said I should get a list together of all the meds I have taken in my past and write down the ones I was able to tolerate and ones I was not and what reactions I had.
    Have any of you ever had a bad reaction to Norrco? ALso is it normal for it to cause urinary difficulties? I asked the one pharmacist and she said it is not common, but it can happen I guess. Maybe having IC makes one more prone to a reaction like that.
    The doctor also gave me urelle to take. I have not taken it yet as I am still so sick to my stomach. I also am worried about the retention issue as it says on the package it can cause urinary retention. I am so depressed ladies. I feel like everytime I try something new that helps, I end up with severe reactions. My body is so stupid sometimes Why cant it just cooperate for once.
    The doctor said that just because this pain med gave me such a horrid reaction, does not mean they all will. I am just so scared to try anyhting else after last night. My bladder pain is so bad right now also.
    The weird thing is, when I had the instillations with the former doc I was seeing, I had urinary retention after each instill and could not pee the stuff out. Well, I was able to pee out the instill he did with just the heperain and lidocaine with no problem. But I had alot more pain afterwards and still do now. I wonder if I need a steroid added to it. I just dont know. He also gave me all the supplies to do the instills at home and prescriptions for the stuff. I am not sure what to do now though after last nights episode.
    I wonder if the heperain instill could have interacted with the pain med and caused me to get this sick? I just dont know. I also have no clue what caused the urinary difficulties. I feel like my urine stream is weak, or that my bladder is weak while I pee, there is not much force.
    Thanks for listening ladies. As usual, any replies are greatly appreciated.
    Jen

Codiene gives me the pukey reaction Narcotics can cause retention. So can rescue instills. I am so sorry you are sick like this. It is no fun. I would ask to be seen agian since the meds are making you so sick and you absolutley need pain releif. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

Comment

It's entirely possible

I'm so sorry you had a bad reaction to the pain meds. That sucks! Yes, the reaction could be due to the pain med itself. Most narcotics can cause some level of nausea in people. They are frequently given with a med such as phenergan to help reduce that side effect, though the phenergan increases the level of sedation. You will NOT want to drive or do anything requiring concentration after taking both.

The various formulas of narcotics affect people differently. For instance I cannot take Vicodin with out phenergan (makes me totally pukey). But I can easily take Tylenol w/ codeine and have no issue.

You may need to play around with the meds a little and find one that makes you less sick and/or take it with an anti-nausea drug.

Also, narcotics can cause "hesitancy" or retention which can make it more difficult to pee. If you find yourself in a situation where your body suddenly doesn't "remember how to go" or you know you're not fully emptying your bladder - let your doctor know. That particular med may not be for you.

Your regular pharmacist should also be able to give you some info as to what is common/normal side effects for particular meds. I'd check with them too.

I've reacted badly to Lidocaine instills in the past as well (flared for 4 days after my first one). However, I did learn to do home instillations of lido/marc/heparin/steroid and after doing them once a week for about a month, the flares got shorter and shorter and I stopped reacting to the instill itself. I found them really helpful.

Hang in there and I hope you feel better!
      Alyson
      Dx: 3/05
      Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

Comment

It does take some testing I think to get the best pain medicine for you. For me, Percocet gives me all over body itching, Ultram vomiting/headache, Vicodin headache. But, Darvocet is just fine & very helpful. I hear from many patients here that they use Percocet or Ultram without difficulty. So, it's another one of those "everyone is different" things.

Hopefully you will find one that works out well for you soon...
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Jen I had a reaction to a RX before. I was having problems like you. Sick, I literally could not move without feeling sick to my stomach and felt dizzy. Learn that some people can't take that particulare drug. I would have to look it up but it was not a pain pill.

Don't get discourage you can still take medicine. Just might take some time to figure out which one you can not take.

Hope you start feeling better soon,
          Sending lots of hugs, Trishann

Comment

I can't take any pain medications without taking anti-nausea meds with them.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

One ultram pill did that to me. I was in bed for a whole day and if I just blinked I would throw up. Took 3 days before I felt good again. He is right just because one pain med did that doesn't mean they all will. I'm taking the vicodin now. Ultram I was told was not considered pain med. Not like vicodin. Sometimes I get the eurthra spasms too after having the heparin/lido done.

Comment

Thanks Ladies.
                I am still feeling loopy in my head and still have some nausea today. My bladder feels so bad as well. In my opinion, the heperain and lidocaine did nothing for my pain, actually made me worse. When I was doing the marcaine,steroid,heperain, and biocarb instills I did get more relief from pain, but it caused me retetion. The plain lidocaine and heperain that the new urogyne used Tuesday did not cause me the retention, but I had more pain, and no relief.
                I am also worried about the fact that so many meds are causing me urinary retention issues. I mean like when I took the pain med, I had a hard time to pee . I am afraid to take anything anymore in fear of all the side effects. This stinks.
                My doc also gave me urelle, and it says it can cause retention issues, and right there makes me not want to even try it as I know I will likely have that reaction since I am so prone to getting it.
                Donna, I do have compazine here that I could take for nausea, but I did not want to take that on top of the pain med because they both are meds that can cause urinary retention and I was afraid to take them both together. Since the norcco caused me severe nausea and hard time peeing, does this mean that likely all narcotics will cause me urinary difficulties, as it usually states on the list of side effects that all pain meds can cause urinary difficulties.
                Anyhow, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Hope you all are doing well.
                Jen

Comment

Jen I do notice that my pain medicine cause some retention also. But it is not to bad because I usely only take it at night. Just thought I would let you know.

Sending hugs, Trishann

Comment

Thanks Trish.
                    After the side effect I had with the Norcco, I am so afraid to take anything. I am still getting over the nausea and It has been two days since I took the pill. I wonder if all pain meds will react this way on me.
                    Jen

Comment

Again, it's unfortunately one of those things where you're going to have to try different things... They will act differently

Most (if not all) narcotics LIST nausea and retention as possible side effects. But, for example, I can take pretty large doses of plain codein and have NO nausea at all. A little bit of Vicodin, however... has me puking in about 30 minutes if I don't take it with phenergan or compazine. Other people have the opposite reaction. It just depends on your tolerance.

It's sort of like with the anti-spasmotics for the bladder. Some people do better on ditropan than detrol. Some use vesicare for the best results. some people can't tolerate any of them, or get no benefit. It really just depends on your body, your doctor, and how the rest of your Rx cocktail interacts with the new addition.

Don't give up though. Discuss with your doctor whether there are other formulas which might be LESS likely to cause severe nausea. Or just ask for the compazine straight up.
                      Good luck!
                      Aly
                      Dx: 3/05
                      Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

Comment

Jen I am sorry I can't give you an answer to that question. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.

I tried antipressant and different kinds and for some reason I can't take those kind of medicine.

I am sorry but I am afraid this will be an trial and error for you and it might take some time.

I hope soon you will find something that can help you without the severe effects.

Sending hugs, Trishann

Comment

I know that vicodin makes me throw up but I can take pretty much any amount of percocet; also that dilaudid makes me throw up but morphine does not. I mention these specific pairs because it's odd: vicodin and percocet are very similar, chemically, and dilaudid is basically synthetic morphine.

So, no, I don't think every narcotic will make you throw up, or even have retention. But it's a case of trial and error, as Trishann, who is always so wise, already said.

BTW, all my urinary retention problems went away as soon as I started taking a muscle relaxant. Maybe that's something to talk to the doctor about -- or if you already take one, then maybe switching to a different one. Trial and error, trial and error -- we could all use a lot less of both, coudn't we?
                          Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                          Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

In my case, I can't tolerate a whole pill of tylenol with codeine. That will always trigger nausea, dizziness, etc. But I learned that I could tolerate a smaller dose much more successfully. So, ask your doctor about the dosages. It may be that you just took too much??? Just a thought.
                            Jill
                            Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
                              Right now, my stomach is in an uproar thanks to that one little pain med. I have severe motility issues as it is. I was holding my own with the stomach pain and such, but now since taking that 1 norrco Tuesday, I cant get my stomach under control.
                              I called my Gastro doc and talked to his nurse and she said my doctor thinks this med just kicked everything off again. The bad thing is, I cannot take my motility med anymore due to the fact that it made my bladder so much worse as it is a prokinetic agent.
                              This stinks. I wich I never took that pain pill. Now not only do I have severe bladder pain, I also a very sick and bloated in my stomach. I just cant win. The urogyne gave a med called urelle to take for the bladder. I just looked up the ingrediants and it contains an anticholernergic. There is no way I can take that type of drug with the motility poblems I have. My stomach motility is very slow as it is, and all those anticholenergic meds do is make the gut move reeeeal sloooow. That would make me very sick.
                              I just dont know what to do. It is hard to explain to the urogyne or nurse that I cant take the meds they are giving me because of my dysmotility of my stomach. They dont really understand the full concept of just how bad my stomach is. I think right away they consider what I have is IBS, and I do not have IBS. I have upper digestive tract motility issues where the stomach and small bowel do not contract enough and my stomach and everything works very slow which causes nausea, severe bloating, pain, ect..
                              There is only one med to treat my stomach disease, and I cant take it because it makes my bladder worse. I feel like I just cant win.
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X