UTI and IC flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Krisi.
    I am glad you got the anti-B's. I got mine also, cipro. I did take macrobid before and was fine with it, but then a couple weeks back I took a macrodantin and it caused me severe stomach upset and stopped me up bad ( constipation). So now I do not want to take the macrodanton again.
    I swear I am becoming allergic to everything. I hope to God I am not becoming allergic to cipro. I took my first pill last night, and now I am feeling a little itchy all over ( which happens when I am going to have an allergic reaction.). I have no clue what I will do then since I already cannot take alot of meds. Is it even possible to be allergic to everything? I think my body is just rejecting everything. I broke out in hives last week from taking miralax, good greif!. I hope you feel better soon.
    Jen

Comment

Yesterday was ok until the middle part of the day and evening when I was in so much pain I almost went to the ER I wish this would just go away or give me a break until I can see this new doctor. I thought the anti-b's would have helped. I think they are but I don't know what is causing the flares. I haven't eaten anything with preservs or anything. Maybe it is the anti-B's or the tylenol or the pyridium. Or maybe it is me trying to do too much when it doesn't hurt. I tried to relax yesterday.

I hope you are feeling better Jen.

Comment

Hi Krisi.
        I am sorry you are not feeling any better. I am in the same boat. I had to stop the cipro due to the reaction I was having. I called the doc on call and he said it looks like I am allergic to all the meds that treat UTI's. He called in bactrim for me to try, though he said he is not sure if it will help. He mentioned maybe me going to hospital and getting IV anti-B of gentamicin.
        The only thing is, I cannot afford to go to the hospital and stay there just to take anti-B's. Our insurance sucks and they charge a ton just to stay in the hospital which I am assuming I would have to if I have to have IV anti-B's right? That is just not going to work. I am getting these UTI's every month it seems and there is no way I could afford to go to the hospital every month just to have anti-B's.
        I cant believe I am allergic to all these meds. The weird thing is that I never use to be allergic to them until this past year. Really weird.
        Anyhow,, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon Krisi. Big hugs!
        Jen

Comment

Jen,

That sucks soo much about the anti-B's. I really don't know how long you would have to stay in there. I know the last time I had anti-B's was when I had a ligament transplant from a donor. I was in there for like 4 days but I think I just got anti-B's for like 2 or 3 of the days. I don't know how they do it with UTI's, like if it is just one bag or like 2 or 3 that you have to go through. I wish the health insurance would be better, so it wouldn't cost that much when you have to go to the hospital. I hope you are feeling better. I am better today.. I am having some pain but not nearly as bad as the past few days. Keep me updated on what is going on. I will be praying for you.

Krisi

Comment

Macrodantin is Terrible!

Originally posted by jen74 View Post
            Hi Krisi.
            I was also diagnosed by a regular cystocsopy. The urogyne who did my cystoscopy took pictures of my bladder, but he did not take a biopsy. He said there was no reason to take a biopsy. He said they can tell the difference between something that is just bad inflammation and something that may be more serious( i.e. cancer)
            I know what you mean about being in pain. I also get the UTI's alot since getting IC, it sucks because I cannot take antibitotics because they mess my stomach and digestive tract up soooo bad, that is why I am so scared about getting these UTI's. I took a couple macrodantin three weeks ago for a UTI that was coming on, and it stopped up my bowels and stomach, I was sooooo constipated. It took me a couple weeks to feel better and still I am not right. That was only after taking 2 macrodantin.
            Anyhow, Just know you are not alone, and I do feel for you and hope you get some relief soon.
            Jen

I was diagnosed with Trigonitis several years ago and have been having ups and downs since then. Most Doctors don't even think it is real when you tell them about it. This past month I have had a terrible time with urinary frequency. The first culture showed nothing, but I was given Omnicef. Never again will I take that. I had trouble peeing after taking it. A couple of weeks later I had gone back to the Doc with the same symptoms and this time it was a full blown UTI. They gave me Macrodantin! Well I am allergic to sulfa drugs and I asked if it was sulfa and both the Dr and the pharmacist said no, however I have been reading and it is indeed a derivative of sulfa. My bladder bothered me so bad I could not leave the house! I was peeing every 5 minutes and felt horrible. I stopped taking it and will pray I get back to normal. I have ordered the Cystoprotek and pray that will help. I know how you feel

Coram Deo

Comment

Coram,

You could always ask them for a different antibiotic. There should be another one it is susceptible to. I am on keflex for mine atm. I am almost finished with it so I am just hoping it is working. Sometimes the cultures come back with bacteria in them it is just they don't have a high enough count (over 100,000 bacteria/ml). Some doctors like mine will give it to you if it is over 10,000. Generally it shows one is coming. Also, depending on the culture and stain testing that is done they might only check for gram negative bacteria and not gram positive bacteria. Mine does both, because I have had both before. Also, generally when mine starts and I am in pain it won't show up on the urinalysis. If it is spun and then inspected by a doctor under a microscope you can sometimes see clumping of some of the white cells. Anyway, I hope your infection is getting better.

Krisi

Comment

Sulpha

Corum,
                I see you just joined and this is your first post! It is nice to have you, wish it was under better circumstances...

How long have you been allergic to sulpha? I am also allergic and think it is so weird that so many people with IC are too.

Is that true for anyone else? If so, do ya'll know why that is?

B
                BBB - Diagnosed with Moderate/Severe IC (age 12), Severe PFD and V V (age 21), IBS (from birth) & Gastroparesis (age 42)

Comment

Thanks Krisi, I am calling him on Monday. It seems to have calmed down some since I stopped taking the Macrodantin but I will probably have to wait a few days to see. It will depend on how long it takes to get out of my system. I hope you are feeling a little better now.

Coram

Comment

Hi BBB,
                    It is so nice to have you welcome me and it is comforting to know you are not alone in this. I am allergic to a lot of meds. Especially antibiotics. My other problem is I only have one kidney, so I have to be really careful what I ingest. Have you tried Colloidal Silver for infection? It is supposed to work really well and can be bought at the health food store.
                    Wishing you well,
                    Coram

Comment

Corum
                      I haven't tried the silver. I've been googling it. Thanks for the suggestion and inspiration!
                      Bee
                      BBB - Diagnosed with Moderate/Severe IC (age 12), Severe PFD and V V (age 21), IBS (from birth) & Gastroparesis (age 42)

Comment

Working...
                      X