Ic and Dentistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ic and Dentistry

I have toothache at the moment, and I managed to get an appointment to have it seen too on Monday.

Thing is I haven't had a filling since my IC symptoms got really bad and I found out that the slightest chemical introduced into my body by whatever means (skin, mouth breathing etc) could give me very bad pain which lasts for a long, long time If I'm not careful.

I know I seem to be an extreme case compared to some others, but does anyone else here has had a numbing injection at the Dentists and found that it's put them in a flare?

I'm in the UK by the way.

re

ive had two crowns...and a root canal
    since getting ic last summer
    no probelms
    they even gave me penicillen
    Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
    Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
    search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
    AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
    Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
    PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

Glad to know you were alright love, sadly I seem freakishly sensitive to any contact with chemicals.

I even get bladder pain if I briefly handle oil based clay without wearing rubber gloves, for goodness sake.

I posted this query on the UK Ic forum and a couple of people on there came forward and said having tooth filling sent them into bad flares. Many seemed to end up having dental work done with an antithetic, which I don't think I have the guts to do!

Apparently they put adrenaline in the injection chemical, and that can effect some people as you can well imagine.

I'm really dreading this appointment now especially as I have to self manage my condition as I'm not under any hospital anymore, nor receiving any form of treatment to deal with flares except eat a high alkaline/low histamine which seems to help a lot.

Comment

Many off the numbing agents used by dentists contain epinephrine. The epinephrine added makes the numbing last longer. Many of us have had nasty bladder reactions because of the epinephrine. You can request your dentist use a numbing agent that does NOT contain epinephrine. There are several available that do not contain this notorious bladder irritant. They do not last as long, but are usually quite sufficient for most procedures. If they wear off too soon, a second injection can be given. My bladder absolutely will not tolerate epinephrine and my dentist has noted "NO EPI" on my files.

There are other possible irritants in SOME dental numbing agents. Sulfites, which many of us find irritating, are in a few of them. The best thing to do is talk to your dentist about this problem and the two of you should be able to find an anesthetic that would be best for you and less likely to trigger an IC flare.

I had to have a root canal for the first time last month and discussed this problem with the endodontist who was performing the procedure. My regular dentist had sent my records with all pertinent info, but the endodontist didn't follow my reg. dentist's recommendations for the anesthetic I tolerate well. He tried something I had never had before that he felt would be better. I ended up with with a horrible 36-hour flare.....the worst I have had in years. I toughed it out, but came very close to having to go to the ER for pain relief. Never again will I allow someone to treat me who refuses to listen to my particular needs!!!
        Annie

IC
        Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
        Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Comment

Thanks for giving us that valuable info love about whats in most numbing injections.

I will try and work something out with my dentists, but on the national health in the UK options are limited, and I can't afford to go private, although I may have to just afford damage being done to me.

I'm really, really scared about whats going to happen I can tell you.

Comment

My thoughts will be with you on Monday and hope all goes well. My heart is already in the UK as my daughter is living in London finishing her post-graduate studies.

Just be sure and talk to your dentist about your concerns and I'll bet he/she can figure out what would be least likely to cause problems for you.

Annie

IC
            Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
            Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Comment

Working...
            X