Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IC and Dentistry part two, Nitrous oxide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC and Dentistry part two, Nitrous oxide....

I've been to the Dentist and I do need a filling. The Dentists was a bit taken a back about all my problems to do with having any work done with a numbing injection, and she didn't seem to be all that forthcoming about what was in the chemical used, and if any other type of formula could be created.

A very big old molar at the back needs to be re-filed (so a fairly big job on one of my most problem areas) and so I was wondering has anyone ever had gas and air (nitrous oxide and air) to help ease the pain of having something like this done at all?

If so did it make you flare?

I know I'm clutching at straws here but I'm desperate to avoid the pain from either my tooth and my bladder. Some people on the UK IC board say they have their teeth drilled without any pain relief at all, just to avoid a flare, but I'm not sure I have the guts to do that.

You can request anesthetic shots without epinephrine or with a reduction in epinephrine. Those are less irritating to the bladder & still help with pain during the filling. These shots don't last as long, so you may need another one midway through the dental work. I've had fillings done with the anesthetic without any epinephrine in the shot & no problem & I've had a root canal done with the shot with 50% epinephrine, no problem there either.

I can't imagine having dental work done without an anesthetic shot, I'd think thrashing in pain wouldn't be good for either the tooth or the bladder. If your dentist isn't able to help you with this, a second opinion is in order. (There are a number of people who have to avoid epinephrine for lots of medical reasons.)

Good luck!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks for your reply love.

By epinephrine do you mean adrenaline? If so I know I can get shots without that, but women on the other IC board with sensitivities as bad as mie found it still gave them flares.

Alsoa lady on her mentioned that some people are affected by other things in the numbing agents such as 'sulphates'. Has anyone else heard of that?

And yes, startling as it may seem I found out from my post on the UK forum that quite of few people choose to suffer without pain relief, just so they don't get pushed into a flare. Scary stuff eh? I'm not sure if I would have the strength, for as you so rightly point out I'd be leaping around all the time.

I'm in a flare now, due to I believe the stress of all this, so lord knows what I'd be like on the day!

Comment

I once had some shallow cavities filled without anesthetic and it was not too bad, but I would not have a deeper one done that way because it is much more painful the closer they are to the nerve.

As for nitrous, I have never flared from it.
        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

fine

i think you will be fine with the shot

even if it does bother you a little bit...flares dont last forever.
          and i try not to go through life fearing everything.
          i just kinda go for it
          and hope for the best
          Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
          Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
          search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
          AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
          Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
          PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

Amartaingirl has a good point. Also, I've found that things I read on the boards sometimes ARE okay for me, & it's usually best to try it for myself, so that I don't wind up with any more limitations than necessary. Remember the people on the boards tend to be the sickest or the more unusual cases because the ones whose IC is well managed usually aren't needing message boards.

If you get the shot without the epinephrine, it won't last as long, so I'd venture to guess the flare would not last as long either, IF you had one.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, okay?
            Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

I had both the gas and the shot with no problems...
              Hugs
              Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
              http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
              Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
              Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
              Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
              Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I appreciate the advice, and I realise that I'm a 'freak' even amongst IC patients, but I have found very little that doesn't effect me badly when it comes to chemical based meds.

Lord, even half the things mentioned on here that folks say is safe puts me into bad flares that last for weeks, giving me intense pain and which always seem to leaves me permanently worse then I was before.

Also the pain gets so bad sometimes that my bladder starts going into retention. Scary as I can't risk cathing and getting UTI, as I can't take antibiotics of course, without experiencing pain that is similar to going and standing in the middle of a lite bonfire and staying there.

Thats the thing I'm the most concerned about really. Being left with more damage done to me. Thats why I'm doing my best to research the various forms of pain relief and whats in them.

So is the chemical you keep mentioning in the injection another name for adrenaline?

Comment

I've had no problem with either the shots or gas. I LOVE nitrous!!! Have you ever had it? Its awesome, you just don't care. I remember the first time I had it I was thinking the whole time "wow this guy is awesome. I love him" I absolutely hate dentists and its really hard to numb my teeth so nitrous has been a godsend. It also helps for me because when I sit in one place to long and I'm nervous I flare, but with the gas I'm so relaxed that I do just fine. Only thing is that when they take the gas off I usually have to pee really bad right away. Have you ever heard of Sedation Dentistry? I had that done too. They give you Lorazapan and you go to sleep while they work on your teeth. Its a little expensive, but if you need a lot of work done its worth it.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, epinephrine is the term preferred by US medical professionals for adrenaline.
                    Last edited by kadi; 06-19-2007, 08:20 AM.
                    Kadi

Source - Pinterest
                    "

Current treatments:
                    -IC diet
                    -Elavil 50mg at night
                    -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

Ah, I thought it might be, thanks for that. Thanks for all your advice. I'm a bit concerned that the gas and air cause you to pass water so much afterwards meme, as that seems to point at it being aggrieved by the gas somehow. And no I haven't heard of sedation theropy, but as I can't seem to take meds of any kind, I don't think thats going to help me either much.

Oh well I'll have to sort something out as it's got to be filled.

Oh and before anyone thinks that I'm being a 'bit of a baby about doing something that will cause me to flare, I forgot to mention that I can't take any form of pain relief either. I find that if I do the tissue at the nbase of my bladder swells and the pain after the tablet wears off it twice as bad.

So everything I experience I have to do 'cold Turkey' so to speak, which is a bit of a bore to say the least.

Comment

This is also a big worry for me as I have alot of dental issues. I worry about what I will do next time I need work done. I think they can numb you without using the epineprine, just that they will have to keep injecting you to keep you numb. Also, beware of the nitrous oxide, I hear it can cause alot of stomach upset.
                        Jen

Comment

It is a big worry isn't it. As if this rotten disease wasn't bad enough, we have to be scared of having any treatment done to ourselves because of the damage we might cause our already inflamed bladders.

I know I hate it. Knowing that one day I may need meds for something apparently trivial like an infection of some sort, only to realise that to take them would cause me unbearable pain and bladder damage, probably leaving me much worse off afterwards.

'healthy' folk just don't seem to understand that what my 'fear' of the dentist really means!

Comment

Working...
                          X